The Student Room Group

Newcastle United Society Thread III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scriggy
Been a great summer so far like. Agree with above in that, assuming we get Janmaat and Riviere in, all we really need is a striker and CB. I'd want to see Yanga stay personally but I'm probably alone in that.

Great that we're getting the deals done early as well. Proper daft when you're bringing people in at the end of August.

I want Yanga to stay as he hasnt been given a fair chance and he is supposedly very good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
For me.

New ST

Cabella De Jong Ben Arfa

Tiote Colback

Haidara Mbiwa New CB Janmaat

Krul

Would like to see a deeper playmaker brought in, won't happen.

Riviere's goalscoring record isn't great, another striker needs to be brought in.

Williamson and Taylor can leave for me.

Coloccini should be rotated with a new CB signing.

But on the whole, happy with the transfer window. Strikers need to come in however.
Original post by TM94
For me.

New ST

Cabella De Jong Ben Arfa

Tiote Colback

Haidara Mbiwa New CB Janmaat

Krul

Would like to see a deeper playmaker brought in, won't happen.

Riviere's goalscoring record isn't great, another striker needs to be brought in.

Williamson and Taylor can leave for me.

Coloccini should be rotated with a new CB signing.

But on the whole, happy with the transfer window. Strikers need to come in however.

We dont need a deeper playmaker. The 2 cms need to be defensive as we have 3 attacking mids who are not good at defending.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
I reckon if we can get Joel Campbell on loan from Arsenal as part of the Debuchy deal that'd be a fantastic buy.
Riviere's been confirmed. :yy:
Reply 45
Original post by scriggy
Riviere's been confirmed. :yy:

Looks like he could be decent, But 14 goals in 44 games isn't amazing considering its French League.

Could do with an out and out goalscoring striker alongside him. We've been linked with Benteke. I'd jizz in my pants if we got him.
Original post by Vintage
Looks like he could be decent, But 14 goals in 44 games isn't amazing considering its French League.

Could do with an out and out goalscoring striker alongside him. We've been linked with Benteke. I'd jizz in my pants if we got him.

10 goals in 30 games in the league last season though, and only 19 of those were starts apparently. Still young as well so it's pretty promising really. If he gets 10-15 for us next season he's done very well.

And yeah, agree. Highly doubt we'd pay up for Benteke, or that he'd even want to come here, but we do need someone like him from somewhere.
You lot have actually spent quite a bit of money this window so far so that should go down well for Ashley?

Also think getting £10m out of us for Debuchy was a great deal for NUFC tbh
Just checking in to the new thread :smile: some great buys so far, completely not what I expected, I suppose Mike's not as bad as we thought, there is a plan under the chaos!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Buy us a striker Mr Ashley please then we will be almost sorted.
Reply 50
Original post by Zürich
You lot have actually spent quite a bit of money this window so far so that should go down well for Ashley?

Also think getting £10m out of us for Debuchy was a great deal for NUFC tbh

£12m :wink:
Reply 51
Original post by redrose_ftw
Just checking in to the new thread :smile: some great buys so far, completely not what I expected, I suppose Mike's not as bad as we thought, there is a plan under the chaos!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You must be one of those fickle fans. Ashley still has to go. He's only spending this money to keep us in the top half, Nothing more.
Original post by Vintage
You must be one of those fickle fans. Ashley still has to go. He's only spending this money to keep us in the top half, Nothing more.

As soon as those one of those players perform well for 1 or 2 seasons he'll probably sell them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Vintage
£12m :wink:

Most quoting £10m to be fair.

Still think it's too much for him mind
Original post by Vintage

Yep, fickle I am... But come on at least the players are better than average, he's not just buying any old rubbish to keep us in the league! Players move on all the time, if we have a good season who knows?! Got to try and stay optimistic with something right?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by redrose_ftw
Yep, fickle I am... But come on at least the players are better than average, he's not just buying any old rubbish to keep us in the league! Players move on all the time, if we have a good season who knows?! Got to try and stay optimistic with something right?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've got no idea if they are better than average. All been playing in average leagues, French and Dutch leagues are nothing special, They could go either way. My optimism has deserted this team, I've hired out my season ticket this season and it'll be cancelled for the one after, I'll be at the Blyth Spartans, Gateshead, Ashington etc games this season,
I still don't understand Newcastle's apparant Frech-only transfer policy (few exceptions). Not really the greatest league to buy from, hasn't worked out all that well in the past, granted Cabaye and Remy were good buys but the majority have turned out to deservedly be mid-leauge.

I think getting 10/12m whatever it was for Debuchy was pretty savvy business on behalf of Newcastle.
Reply 57
Original post by Amphiprion
I still don't understand Newcastle's apparant Frech-only transfer policy (few exceptions). Not really the greatest league to buy from, hasn't worked out all that well in the past, granted Cabaye and Remy were good buys but the majority have turned out to deservedly be mid-leauge.

I think getting 10/12m whatever it was for Debuchy was pretty savvy business on behalf of Newcastle.

and Dutch now it seems :teeth:

To be fair Pardew enquired about Tom Cleverly at Man Utd (As he wanted a few more English players) and was quoted a ridiculous £14 million. A) He's not worth that and B) you can get better abroad for cheaper.

No wonder English players in the top division now are a minority. Clubs demanding stupid money for them so other clubs go abroad for cheaper players. :facepalm2: its a vicious cycle that no-ones stopping.

I know we've made signings this summer to get excited about but we should be making more, Yes we've signed 6 players for more money than we've ever spent under Ashley but we've lost 9 players (Marveux has gone out on loan) and we are trying to offload HBA, Obertan and Yanga. We already had a light squad last season and this season its going to be worse.

We need to bring some more Ayoze Perez' in. Development players who we actually will give a chance to in the first team. Until they get Pardewed of course.
Newcastle apparently in for Gnabry on loan from Arsenal, along with Southampton

He'd do very well for you lot tbh, better than what you currently have on the wing
Reply 59
Original post by Zürich
Newcastle apparently in for Gnabry on loan from Arsenal, along with Southampton

He'd do very well for you lot tbh, better than what you currently have on the wing

Better than Cabella or Ben Arfa? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest