The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Help! colleges- Furness v Grizedale 2014

Hi everyone
I need some serious help with choosing my college, am getting bombarded with email reminders to do it and I've put it off till after exams. Don't want to leave it any longer.
All the colleges look good in their own way, but from reading forums I guess I should base my decision on location and type of accom (if i choose to live there) as I'm told most other aspects are the same/similar for all colleges.
I've put IT for Creative industries as my firm offer for 2014 and am wondering if anyone else has done the course, but specifically whether I should choose Furness or Grizedale (it was tough to narrow these down lemme tell you!). I know they are near each other and gz has most modern but furness looks more "scenic" than the concrete I saw on gz on an open day.
Any advice or information from any IT student or student of these colleges would be gratefully received, as I want to get this sorted early this week. Thanks!:smile:
Reply 1
Hey!

Firstly, I'm in Furness so I am going to be slightly biased towards Furness - I am just entering third year and have absolutely loved it so far!

Coursewise, it will make no difference which college you pick; your lectures, seminars etc will be all over the place and not necessarily anywhere near the actual department - I think I saw somebody who does IT say that they'd been into the Infolab maybe three times during their degree.

Furness is slightly more central than Grizedale, so chances are the distance to lectures would be slightly less (and believe me a couple of extra minutes in bed is a lot when it comes to 9am lectures :wink: ), and it is also situated right next to spar, close to the underpass where you get busses, and most of the other campus facilities. There is a choice of Ensuite or Standard (where you share a toilet and shower with 3-5 other people), both of which are modern and clean. It is the smallest college on campus, but there is a great sense of community which I never really see as much in some of the larger colleges, and there are also great socials such as the legendary 15 hour bar crawls (what it says on the tin - believe me, they're epic) and other events such as the Patriots Cup sports tournament between us and Cartmel. It also has (arguably) the best and friendliest bar on campus :wink:

To try and add a bit of balance, Grizedale also has modern accommodation - most of the college was rebuilt a few years back, and the townhouses look amazing. Social scene is good with trips to other cities for nights out (although Furness are planning on introducing these as well) and there is also something of an obsession with hog roasts...

Anyhow, heres a video of Furness Accomodation (I think Grizedale have one as well on Youtube if you can find it) - yours truly has a cheeky cameo in the background of one of the scenes as well :wink:

[video="youtube;8BbjEKmBZs4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BbjEKmBZs4[/video]
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by lgfbrown
Hi everyone
I need some serious help with choosing my college, am getting bombarded with email reminders to do it and I've put it off till after exams. Don't want to leave it any longer.
All the colleges look good in their own way, but from reading forums I guess I should base my decision on location and type of accom (if i choose to live there) as I'm told most other aspects are the same/similar for all colleges.
I've put IT for Creative industries as my firm offer for 2014 and am wondering if anyone else has done the course, but specifically whether I should choose Furness or Grizedale (it was tough to narrow these down lemme tell you!). I know they are near each other and gz has most modern but furness looks more "scenic" than the concrete I saw on gz on an open day.
Any advice or information from any IT student or student of these colleges would be gratefully received, as I want to get this sorted early this week. Thanks!:smile:

I'm going to do IT for creative industries too, I found out today!!! EEk you excited?
Reply 3
Original post by Wsxboy
Hey!

Firstly, I'm in Furness so I am going to be slightly biased towards Furness - I am just entering third year and have absolutely loved it so far!

Coursewise, it will make no difference which college you pick; your lectures, seminars etc will be all over the place and not necessarily anywhere near the actual department - I think I saw somebody who does IT say that they'd been into the Infolab maybe three times during their degree.

Furness is slightly more central than Grizedale, so chances are the distance to lectures would be slightly less (and believe me a couple of extra minutes in bed is a lot when it comes to 9am lectures :wink: ), and it is also situated right next to spar, close to the underpass where you get busses, and most of the other campus facilities. There is a choice of Ensuite or Standard (where you share a toilet and shower with 3-5 other people), both of which are modern and clean. It is the smallest college on campus, but there is a great sense of community which I never really see as much in some of the larger colleges, and there are also great socials such as the legendary 15 hour bar crawls (what it says on the tin - believe me, they're epic) and other events such as the Patriots Cup sports tournament between us and Cartmel. It also has (arguably) the best and friendliest bar on campus :wink:

To try and add a bit of balance, Grizedale also has modern accommodation - most of the college was rebuilt a few years back, and the townhouses look amazing. Social scene is good with trips to other cities for nights out (although Furness are planning on introducing these as well) and there is also something of an obsession with hog roasts...

Anyhow, heres a video of Furness Accomodation (I think Grizedale have one as well on Youtube if you can find it) - yours truly has a cheeky cameo in the background of one of the scenes as well :wink:

[video="youtube;8BbjEKmBZs4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BbjEKmBZs4[/video]

Haha thanks for your great advice, in the end I chose Furness ad my 1st choice and got in!!! Looks a nice college so hopefully I'll make some mates and have a cool time. Out of interest what else did this other person say!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending