The Student Room Group

Worst advice you have ever received?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by karmacrunch
Oh okay, that's better then.

Don't be pessimistic :frown:

Also, I'm planning on becoming a scientist (probably, a toxicologist) so... and I want to discover stuff. I'm sure you will!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds interesting.

I'm also not a scientist :tongue:
Original post by Anonymous #2

In the third week of my AS year my biology teacher said she noticed I was struggling and would do better if I switched to BTEC Level 3 Applied Biology. I assured her I was fine but ended up getting an E :colondollar: It seemed like terrible advice at the time but I wish I had listened.

'Your best is good enough' - my mum among others. I tried my best with AS Biology and got an E. Is that good enough? No. Many other examples but it seems I'm still hung up about biology today :tongue:

:console:
Reply 82
"Take A-level Maths."
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
That sounds interesting.

I'm also not a scientist :tongue:

Jajajaaa! :awesome:

Studied physics, likes physics, has physics degree= physicist. You are a physicist. Try me :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ThatNorthernLad
"Be patient."

People tell me this a lot, as well. I find it very frustrating because I want everything all the time right now!

There is some merit to it, though. :wink: Sometimes, you really do just have to be patient. :smile: I learnt that the hard way...
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
:console:

I've got offers from unis so it hasn't held me back that much to be honest.
Original post by Anonymous #2

I've got offers from unis so it hasn't held me back that much to be honest.

I was going to say something like **** happens, doesn't matter in the long run.

But I was concerned that would be patronising and trite. :tongue:
Original post by Furandesu
Once when asking for advice on how to improve my coursework, my teacher looked at me blankly and went 'You'll know what to do, just...do it.'

I got something similar: my English teachers told me to 'write like me' with no explanation. Needless to say, I now have a crushed dream of an A in English as I apparently don't know who I am

Posted from TSR Mobile
People tell me this a lot, as well. I find it very frustrating because I want everything all the time right now!

There is some merit to it, though. :wink: Sometimes, you really do just have to be patient. :smile: I learnt that the hard way...

I don't like that advice because it basically says you should wait for things to happen rather than just going out and doing them, and I don't think it's an optimal way to do things, as you'll waste your life just waiting for things to happen.
I was going to say something like **** happens, doesn't matter in the long run.

But I was concerned that would be patronising and trite. :tongue:

Haha, it's fine :tongue: It does and it doesn't. At the time it doesn't feel like it but now I think I'm over it. There's always a positive, if I hadn't of done biology I never would have gone to Iceland :biggrin: Then my negative side says I paid £800 for an E :tongue:
Original post by ThatNorthernLad
I don't like that advice because it basically says you should wait for things to happen rather than just going out and doing them, and I don't think it's an optimal way to do things, as you'll waste your life just waiting for things to happen.

I see that side. But sometimes if you're not patient you miss out on opportunities. :smile:
Reply 91
'Just try your best, that's all you can do.'

Well then what is my best??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch
Jajajaaa! :awesome:

Studied physics, likes physics, has physics degree= physicist. You are a physicist. Try me :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol

To be a physicists you have to involved in research in an area of physics. I vaguely got near this in my final year when I was a lab monkey for my supervisor in the area of supercritical physics. I might get my name mentioned in any papers he publishes but that's it.

That's my nearest claim to fame :tongue:
Good things come to those who wait.

What a load of ****e. You've got to go out there and get the things you want in life.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
lol

To be a physicists you have to involved in research in an area of physics. I vaguely got near this in my final year when I was a lab monkey for my supervisor in the area of supercritical physics. I might get my name mentioned in any papers he publishes but that's it.

That's my nearest claim to fame :tongue:

"Lab monkey"<- haha
But that will be great though! First step to world domination!! (Shh! You can't steal that, that's my future role!)

Whatever...
Butterfly is a physicist and he will discover something. :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
When you come out an exam hall knowing you flopped, and your friends say don't worry you'll do good.

How on earth do you know i'll do good, were you in the exam hall with me or did y powers to develop powers to see the future B***c please
You can tell me anything, trust me

:no:
My mom used to tell me a lot of stuff focued on the ideas "what will people think" and about keeping contacts with everybody. O. M. F. G.
As a result I have a lot of former "friends" I wish I never ever met.
Strange woman.

As long as I'm bad with words I follow a rule about being myself. It helps to filter unwanted and bad people from life
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by chocolatesauce
You can tell me anything, trust me

:no:

Be wary of people who demand your trust.
Be wary of people who demand your trust.

I've learnt that the hard way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending