The Student Room Group

Getting a 1st overall with average 2:2

Hey guys!

Just wanted to know is there anyone who averaged 2:2 during university but managed to finish with a 1st class, I would like to know what caused you to get the 2:2 to begin with and what caused you to change and achieve a 1st overall. I want to show students from my uni that are going/may go through this that it can be done :smile:

I've heard and read several stories of people who managed including Nathan Ghann who is a major inspiration.

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This would be incredibly difficult, not only due to the fact that an average of 2:2 in your earlier years which count towards your degree, pushes up the percentage required to achieve a first overall, but also because a student who is getting 2:2s consistently is very unlikely to get firsts in their finals when the content is harder.

The people who have gone through this will be the ones who dossed about the first year or two but really got their act together for their final year. Not because of a lack of intelligence, just motivation. A person who is motivated and tries hard but still only achieves 2:2 grades is very unlikely to get a first later on.
I'm on route for a first but only got a 2:2 in second year. Then again i'm doing a 4 year degree with a 20/40/40 split starting from second year.
Reply 3
Original post by Kre
This would be incredibly difficult, not only due to the fact that an average of 2:2 in your earlier years which count towards your degree, pushes up the percentage required to achieve a first overall, but also because a student who is getting 2:2s consistently is very unlikely to get firsts in their finals when the content is harder.

The people who have gone through this will be the ones who dossed about the first year or two but really got their act together for their final year. Not because of a lack of intelligence, just motivation. A person who is motivated and tries hard but still only achieves 2:2 grades is very unlikely to get a first later on.

I still think it can be done if you work really hard! I know of people that averaged 51% from working really hard but managed to achieve 1st overall. They had gone through some stuff in their first and second year causing them to get these type of grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Last Day Lepers
I'm on route for a first but only got a 2:2 in second year. Then again i'm doing a 4 year degree with a 20/40/40 split starting from second year.

Well done!!

What is it that you did differently to achieve a 1st overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by NuriaM
I still think it can be done if you work really hard! I know of people that averaged 51% from working really hard but managed to achieve 1st overall. They had gone through some stuff in their first and second year causing them to get these type of grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like you're in a similar situation and trying to make yourself feel better. The only person who's in control of your grades is you. You don't need comfort from people of his forum. Get stuck in, work hard, stay motivated, and you will be able to pull it off. Good luck. :wink:
Original post by NuriaM
Well done!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I studied and stopped caring about trying to have fun and going out at every weekend.
Reply 7
For the 1st year at uni I was getting B, C, and D. All my mates were getting A and so I just upped the effort and revision and got mainly A in the second. 3rd year, I get straight all A except for my project which I got a B. So overall I managed to get a 1st despite the lower grades in my 1st year.

Just work hard, go out maybe just once a week and put in 10 hours revision per day. A lot of effort but you are there to do your best and set yourself up for the future

Good luck!
Original post by NuriaM
Well done!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a 4 year degree dude with year 2 only counting for 20% - do you realise ?

For usual 3 year degrees, the 2nd year will count for 40 - 50 %, so to pull up from a 2.2 to 1st will be very difficult.
Reply 9
Original post by Kre
Sounds like you're in a similar situation and trying to make yourself feel better. The only person who's in control of your grades is you. You don't need comfort from people of his forum. Get stuck in, work hard, stay motivated, and you will be able to pull it off. Good luck. :wink:

Nope, I am not going through this myself there are several students in my Uni that I help out and give advice 2, in regards to things that they are going through that could be grades, problems etc (peer mentor). They received their grades and obviously they are not happy (there's 2 of them) they are hardworking but I guess, things just got in the way. I posted this to ask people who went through a similar situation to share their story. I had previously seen a post like this but it was a few years old. I would like to share any advice that anyone has to students.
Thanks anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Zenomorph
It's a 4 year degree dude with year 2 only counting for 20% - do you realise ?

For usual 3 year degrees, the 2nd year will count for 40 - 50 %, so to pull up from a 2.2 to 1st will be very difficult.

I realised chill, I meant getting a first in ur 3rd years, and it depends on the Uni in am doing a 4 year (sandwich course) which is 25-5-70%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by David81
For the 1st year at uni I was getting B, C, and D. All my mates were getting A and so I just upped the effort and revision and got mainly A in the second. 3rd year, I get straight all A except for my project which I got a B. So overall I managed to get a 1st despite the lower grades in my 1st year.

Just work hard, go out maybe just once a week and put in 10 hours revision per day. A lot of effort but you are there to do your best and set yourself up for the future

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your story :smile: and for the advice some students think it's the end of the world after achieving a 2:2 I just wanted to show them that it's not based on everyone's story

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NuriaM
I realised chill, I meant getting a first in ur 3rd years, and it depends on the Uni in am doing a 4 year (sandwich course) which is 25-5-70%

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry you make little sense, how does one realise a chill ???

And how can your 4 year degree be rated 25-5-70% ?
Reply 13
Sorry you make little sense, how does one realise a chill ???

U know u don't need be so rude, all I wanted to know was how u managed to achieve a 1st in 3rd year but forgot about it.

It's split 25% for 2nd year, 5% for placement year (3rd year) and 70% final year. Or 30-70 if not doing a placement in my case it's 25-5-70.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

I imagine its 2nd year 25%, sandwich year 5% then last year 70%
Reply 15
Original post by a10
I imagine its 2nd year 25%, sandwich year 5% then last year 70%

Exactly :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

Are you currently on placement?
Reply 17
Original post by a10
Are you currently on placement?

Just completed it :smile: in an oil and gas company named ConocoPhillips

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by NuriaM
Just completed it :smile: in an oil and gas company named ConocoPhillips

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh sweet, did you enjoy it?

Still trying to decide whether a placement year is appropiate for me rather than MEng.
Reply 19
Original post by a10
Ahhh sweet, did you enjoy it?

Still trying to decide whether a placement year is appropiate for me rather than MEng.

Very much! What course r u doing am doing Beng chemical engineering. I've decided to take on this route of doing a placement instead of doing an Meng, only because before this I had done other summer internships in energy companies and was told that companies prefer students we more experience than, students who have no experience but have an Meng. And also I would like to do an Msc after completing my grad position. You could do both, placement and Meng? Depending if you don't mind the years as well. A lot of my friends that did/are still doing a placement are in the Meng route.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest