The Student Room Group

Worst advice you have ever received?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by kåte
"take a-level maths."

worst advice i ever received
Reply 101
"Take X, Y and Z subjects at our sixth form for your best chance of getting in to uni"

They didn't do A Level Computing and I wasn't interested in Math so ended up doing some useless BTECs which weren't even enough to get me in to uni, so spent a further two years after finding this out at college for another two years studying what I should have in the first place to get in to uni.
'Be yourself' would make mine. Not because I've ever received it, but because of how terrible it is. What if 'yourself' is a murderous psychopath?
Original post by MidnightDream
It is harmful getting it confiscated :cry:

I'm not saying I lie all the time but I think telling the truth all the time is stupid, honesty is not always the best policy :tongue:

Id just tell the truth and get my parents to deal with it..youre nearly 18 not 10..

not always..but more times than not.the only time I lie is where its really inappropriate and unnecessary

otherwise..im dope:P(whatever that means..) acting :cool:

but yeh communication and honesty will prevail long term:biggrin:
Original post by trustmeimlying1
Id just tell the truth and get my parents to deal with it..youre nearly 18 not 10..

not always..but more times than not.the only time I lie is where its really inappropriate and unnecessary

otherwise..im dope:P(whatever that means..) acting :cool:

but yeh communication and honesty will prevail long term:biggrin:

Your parents are clearly nothing like mine :rofl:
Original post by KirstBarlow
I got something similar: my English teachers told me to 'write like me' with no explanation. Needless to say, I now have a crushed dream of an A in English as I apparently don't know who I am

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha, jeeeeepers
"Go on Jobseekers over the summer."

Would never go back near the job centre. Too much hassle and 99% of their stuff are rude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"God has a plan for you."

"God will give you all the answers."

I'm not an atheist and I understand my friend was just trying to reassure me, but NO, what **** advice, I'm going to fail A Levels.
The customer is always right.
'Just be happy.'; or just as bad 'Smile!'

Awful, awful advice.
Reply 110
Original post by Deyesy
'Just be happy.'; or just as bad 'Smile!'

Awful, awful advice.

hey how you?

I feel terrible..
Quote me on IWAIS
"Get over it". No.

Also, is it me or do you get people that constantly demand advice but when you need it they are as useless as a garden rake on pavement?!
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
Following from the other thread, originality level 8000.

Anyway I'll go first.

"Nate, don't worry your regen will make sure you're okay!"

[Backstory was on the mezzanine level of floor - and was playing with BB guns, proceed to jump and break my leg and was injured for 12 weeks]

Your turn.

"Send off your UCAS application in December, it will be fine."
"Whatever you do don't listen to the voice in your head telling you to be lazy" - Former Headmaster - I never had a voice in my head telling me anything.
Original post by mikeyd85
Good things come to those who wait.

What a load of ****e. You've got to go out there and get the things you want in life.

lol, if that was the case I would have everything! I'm very good at waiting. My problem is that I'm not proactive enough!
Original post by Gorwell

Also, is it me or do you get people that constantly demand advice but when you need it they are as useless as a garden rake on pavement?!

I guess that sort of makes sense really.
Original post by Yasmin25
"Go on Jobseekers over the summer."

Would never go back near the job centre. Too much hassle and 99% of their stuff are rude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh god...

*gulp*
Original post by KJane
"Just look people in the eye and smile. Then you'll feel happy" - My psychologist, when I was severely depressed a few years ago.

Really? They actually said that?
a friend gave me this advice and as a result, I lost another friend.
"If you really want to get his attention. add all his friends with a fake account and see what his reaction is-don't worry, I do this all the time and my guy doesn't give a damn".
I was severely depressed and already insecure and as a result, this person doesn't want to associate himself with me anymore.
And as for this friend of mine, her boyfriend cheated on her.
"The TSR personal statement check will take approximately 3 to 7 days". Two months later, I had to get an extension on my deadline. :rolleyes:

No hard feelings PS helpers, I do appreciate it :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest