The Student Room Group

Difficulty with choosing a biology related course

Hello :smile:

I've just finished my AS levels and I'm applying to uni this September. My subjects are Biology, Psychology, Chemistry and English Language and I'm most likely going to be dropping Chemistry at A2.

However, I'm terribly stuck on choosing which course I'll be applying to :frown: Initially, I was planning to go into Dentistry but then I changed my mind to Psychology but the job prospects for Psychology put me off so right now, I have no idea what I want to apply for which isn't really helping.

I know I want to study something Biology related but I'm not terribly sure which courses I should choose. I've been looking at courses ranging from Physiology to Zoology but nothing really sparked my interest so I was wondering if anyone had any advice to give.

Thank you!
Why are you dropping chemistry at A2 when it's the most relevant subject to go with biology, and will be highly favoured for biology related degrees?
Original post by Pectorac
Why are you dropping chemistry at A2 when it's the most relevant subject to go with biology, and will be highly favoured for biology related degrees?

I simply don't enjoy it although my decision may change when I get my results.
Original post by fault_inourstars
I simply don't enjoy it although my decision may change when I get my results.

Well a lot of biology related degrees are going to contain quite a lot of chemistry.
Hello :smile:

I've just finished my AS levels and I'm applying to uni this September. My subjects are Biology, Psychology, Chemistry and English Language and I'm most likely going to be dropping Chemistry at A2.

However, I'm terribly stuck on choosing which course I'll be applying to :frown: Initially, I was planning to go into Dentistry but then I changed my mind to Psychology but the job prospects for Psychology put me off so right now, I have no idea what I want to apply for which isn't really helping.

I know I want to study something Biology related but I'm not terribly sure which courses I should choose. I've been looking at courses ranging from Physiology to Zoology but nothing really sparked my interest so I was wondering if anyone had any advice to give.

Thank you!

Nothing has really sparked your interest so far, so tell me, as detailed as you can be, what does interest you, what do you love and enjoy learning about, what could you see yourself doing? I am going to do a biology degree so Ill do my best to help :smile:
Original post by Munrot07
Nothing has really sparked your interest so far, so tell me, as detailed as you can be, what does interest you, what do you love and enjoy learning about, what could you see yourself doing? I am going to do a biology degree so Ill do my best to help :smile:

It's such a simply question but I have no idea how to answer it :colondollar:

I find Biology as a whole really interesting (although my A-level course is far from thrilling) but I guess my interest mainly lie in learning about human biology, evolution, genetics. But at the same time, combined with my love for Psychology, Neuroscience looks so cool and it all just leaves me terribly indecisive since I have such a wide scope of interests :frown:

p.s. Hope you enjoy your biology degree!
It's such a simply question but I have no idea how to answer it :colondollar:

I find Biology as a whole really interesting (although my A-level course is far from thrilling) but I guess my interest mainly lie in learning about human biology, evolution, genetics. But at the same time, combined with my love for Psychology, Neuroscience looks so cool and it all just leaves me terribly indecisive since I have such a wide scope of interests :frown:

p.s. Hope you enjoy your biology degree!

Not considered a pure biology degree? :smile: Remember in the second year and especially in the third year you can choose modules you want to do and shape the degree around your interests (I will be choosing evolutionary modules and animal behaviour whenever I can as these are my main interests, though I love all aspects of biology except a few).

If you have any questions which might help, ask away :smile:
Not considered a pure biology degree? :smile: Remember in the second year and especially in the third year you can choose modules you want to do and shape the degree around your interests (I will be choosing evolutionary modules and animal behaviour whenever I can as these are my main interests, though I love all aspects of biology except a few).

If you have any questions which might help, ask away :smile:

I did think about biology for a moment but the idea of doing pure biology just seemed quite intense and daunting. But I never really considered that I'd be picking modules after the first year so thank you for the reminder!

I hope you don't mind me asking but what university will you be going to? :smile:
I did think about biology for a moment but the idea of doing pure biology just seemed quite intense and daunting. But I never really considered that I'd be picking modules after the first year so thank you for the reminder!

I hope you don't mind me asking but what university will you be going to? :smile:

Imperial :smile:

One thing I can suggest is look at as many courses as you can for all sorts of biological degrees (biology, zoology, virology, microbiology, biochemistry, botany, immunology, neuroscience, pharmacology, medicine, dentistry, palaeontology, evolutionary biology (those degrees exist) etc. That is as many as I could think of :P ). Do as much research and the chances are one course, one university will just suit you, you will look at it and go yep I love it, ull be able to decide exactly what modules you would want to do and you can just see yourself there :smile: Just look at as many as possible.
Imperial :smile:

One thing I can suggest is look at as many courses as you can for all sorts of biological degrees (biology, zoology, virology, microbiology, biochemistry, botany, immunology, neuroscience, pharmacology, medicine, dentistry, palaeontology, evolutionary biology (those degrees exist) etc. That is as many as I could think of :P ). Do as much research and the chances are one course, one university will just suit you, you will look at it and go yep I love it, ull be able to decide exactly what modules you would want to do and you can just see yourself there :smile: Just look at as many as possible.

Congratulations!

Thank you so much for all your advice :smile: I'll definitely still be looking into all the courses so fingers crossed that I'll be able to find the perfect one!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending