The Student Room Group

'Straight white guy festival' causes controversy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DeclanCochran
Haha well that's how it's been. We've (I am a straight white guy) pretty much run the world for our benefit since civilisation began.

If you had any grasp of history at all, you would understand just what a completely absurd and outrageous statement this is.

Couple of points, the European expansionist phase of the last few centuries happened because of the massive technological advances they created through the industrial revolution. But, before then, white people certainly did not rule the world. For one, the greatest imperialists of the last 1000 years were not even white, but brown. Ghengis Khan for example had the biggest land empire in history and the Muslims conquered much of ancient classical world for themselves. Including parts of Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_conquests

The idea that white people have always been supreme is not only false, but also racist. Against both white and non-white people.
Reply 41
Original post by Creat0r
I'm confused, why would a section of society being persecuted against mean that they should have a festival? I don't get it. So say gay people used to be treated awfully, why would they now have a festival for it?

Because they have faced a lot of inequality, hate, discrimination, etc, People from minorities may be made to feel ashamed of who they are, so they hold festivals to show that they are actually proud and are a solid community. It's the same reason there's Black History Month and no "white history month"
Original post by TurboCretin
I suppose 10-18 million Europeans weren't enslaved during the Arab slave trade, then.

Well for a start, that figure was plucked from Wikipedia, and Africans were enslaved during the Arab Slave Trade too.

Also nobody actually knows the exact figures, and those are estimates for slaves over, quite literally, a thousand years.

Not trivialising the Arab Slave Trade, but it seems to me to be reflective of the kind of patriarchal dominance which I am talking about.
Original post by gazebi
Because they have faced a lot of inequality, hate, discrimination, etc, People from minorities may be made to feel ashamed of who they are, so they hold festivals to show that they are actually proud and are a solid community. It's the same reason there's Black History Month and no "white history month"

If i said i was proud to be white, how would society make me feel?
Reply 44
Original post by imtelling
If i said i was proud to be white, how would society make me feel?

Saying you're 'proud to be white' might get you some hostility, people calling you racist, or thinking you're part of the EDL, but that doesn't equate to whole groups of minorities who face discrimination every day and the struggles that come along with it.
If you had any grasp of history at all, you would understand just what a completely absurd and outrageous statement this is.

Couple of points, the European expansionist phase of the last few centuries happened because of the massive technological advances they created through the industrial revolution. But, before then, white people certainly did not rule the world. For one, the greatest imperialists of the last 1000 years were not even white, but brown. Ghengis Khan for example had the biggest land empire in history and the Muslims conquered much of ancient classical world for themselves. Including parts of Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_conquests

The idea that white people have always been supreme is not only false, but also racist. Against both white and non-white people.

White and non-white men, which is closer to my original point. And in recent centuries there has been a shift towards white guys persecuting everyone else.
Original post by gazebi
Saying you're 'proud to be white' might get you some hostility, people calling you racist, or thinking you're part of the EDL, but that doesn't equate to whole groups of minorities who face discrimination every day and the struggles that come along with it.

You are correct. I would face discrimination and hostility simply for stating that i am proud of who i am.

Can you not see how oppressive this is?

You go on about discrimination, but where is the discrimination which is more fundamental than making a person feel ashamed of who they are?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheAnusFiles
But we don't need to have awards for people of different races. It's divisive

I actually agree with this.
So if people celebrate because they have been persecuted in the past and are longer persecuted. Can the straight white men celebrate because they have not been persecuted?
White and non-white men, which is closer to my original point. And in recent centuries there has been a shift towards white guys persecuting everyone else.

No, there was a brief time ( historically speaking )when European states had the upper hand, because of technological advancement, but that time is coming to an end.

Look around the world today. Look at all the tyrants, wars and persecutions. how can you say that its white people causing all of these things? Are white people responsible for the persecution of Christians in Africa and the Middle East for example?
(edited 9 years ago)
Well for a start, that figure was plucked from Wikipedia, and Africans were enslaved during the Arab Slave Trade too.

Also nobody actually knows the exact figures, and those are estimates for slaves over, quite literally, a thousand years.

Not trivialising the Arab Slave Trade, but it seems to me to be reflective of the kind of patriarchal dominance which I am talking about.

I'm aware that the Arab slave trade involved all kinds of races, I'm just saying that this narrative that white people have never had any worries and all the privileged people across history have been white is incorrect.

(Also, I don't see your point over the length of time the Arab slave trade went on. You seemed to think that the hundreds of years black people were enslaved showed the activity to be worse, rather than excusing it.)
Original post by DiddyDec
So if people celebrate because they have been persecuted in the past and are longer persecuted. Can the straight white men celebrate because they have not been persecuted?

Except, straight white men were the most persecuted people of the 20th century, with well over hundred million of them being slaughtered by imperialistic and marxist governments.
Reply 52
Original post by DiddyDec

If anything, we have the biggest reason to celebrate!
Except, straight white men were the most persecuted people of the 20th century, with well over hundred million of them being slaughtered by imperialistic and marxist governments.

Fair point, we need to celebrate the fact we have remained so strong even through 2 world wars.
With all the hatred directed at straight white males by the politically correct power structure, it was only a matter of time until people started rebelling against it. This doesn't sound real though. Sounds like a satire.

Oh yeah straight white boys have a really tough life.
Reply 55
You are correct. I would face discrimination and hostility simply for stating that i am proud of who i am.

You go on about discrimination, but where is the discrimination which is more fundamental than making a person feel ashamed of who they are?

It would only be temporary, everyone will calm down eventually and after you can just go about your day eventually. You will get over it.
Some people face discrimination every day and made to feel ashamed for not doing anything really, they don't have to say 'I'm proud to be ______" to get any hate.. some people are hated just for existing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TurboCretin
I'm aware that the Arab slave trade involved all kinds of races, I'm just saying that this narrative that white people have never had any worries and all the privileged people across history have been white is incorrect.

(Also, I don't see your point over the length of time the Arab slave trade went on. You seemed to think that the hundreds of years black people were enslaved showed the activity to be worse, rather than excusing it.)

Comparatively, white men's worries have been trivial compared to the worries of African Americans, gays, women, and the like. We've all suffered at some point, but some have suffered (a lot) more than others.

Also, I was drawing attention to the fact that your fact, while appearing initially shocking and bombastic, is rooted in the caveat that it occurred over a period of time which allowed for action and reaction. It wasn't the systematic persecution by Arabs over one thousand years. It was more of an ongoing struggle between several sides. I was drawing attention to the reductive nature of your initial statement.

Stop making out like white people are oppressed ffs I'm sure you have it really hard
No, there was a brief time ( historically speaking )when European states had the upper hand, because of technological advancement, but that time is coming to an end.

Look around the world today. Look at all the tyrants, wars and persecutions. how can you say that its white people causing all of these things? Are white people responsible for the persecution of Christians in Africa and the Middle East for example?

No, but in the most part they are enforced by men, which as I have said is the more crux-y crux of my argument.
Nothing wrong with it. I'd go!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending