The Student Room Group

Trouble choosing between maths, psychology and business studies at As level

Poll

Which course should I pick?

Hello,
next term I am going up to sixth form but I am having a lot of trouble choosing between which last course to choose. I am defiantly choosing music, music technology and media studies but I just can't decide on the fourth.

My first option is Mathematics. I have never been much of a mathematician, I have always enjoyed it but I feel I would be bottom of an As class. I got a grade C at GCSE in year 9 but I have just took the exam again and I am hoping for an A but I predict I have got a B.

My second option is psychology. I am really interested in people and how and why we do the actions we do but the only problem is the sixth form have told me that I need to get a B or above in science when that is not possible as I have only took the foundation paper but my friend has told them she can't get a B and they have told her it is fine she can still take the course. I also need to do psychology to get onto the music and special needs course at bishop gros university.

Then my last option is business studies. This is what I originally put on my application form but now I don't know if it is what I want to do. I have previously owned my own business but I don't know if I will enjoy the course.

I would really like anybody's opinion on these courses as it would help me make up my mind as to what I want to do.
Thank you.
Surely if you need psychology to get on the course you have to do psychology?
Reply 2
Original post by emzzirose15
Hello,
next term I am going up to sixth form but I am having a lot of trouble choosing between which last course to choose. I am defiantly choosing music, music technology and media studies but I just can't decide on the fourth.

My first option is Mathematics. I have never been much of a mathematician, I have always enjoyed it but I feel I would be bottom of an As class. I got a grade C at GCSE in year 9 but I have just took the exam again and I am hoping for an A but I predict I have got a B.

My second option is psychology. I am really interested in people and how and why we do the actions we do but the only problem is the sixth form have told me that I need to get a B or above in science when that is not possible as I have only took the foundation paper but my friend has told them she can't get a B and they have told her it is fine she can still take the course. I also need to do psychology to get onto the music and special needs course at bishop gros university.

Then my last option is business studies. This is what I originally put on my application form but now I don't know if it is what I want to do. I have previously owned my own business but I don't know if I will enjoy the course.

I would really like anybody's opinion on these courses as it would help me make up my mind as to what I want to do.
Thank you.

If I were you maths would improve your chances dramatically better to get into competitive universities so why don't you swap one of your options which you haven't mentioned with maths because there are a lot of people out there applying and wanting to do the same course as you so having an academic subject would make your chances better of getting into university.

All I am doing is trying to help you get into university if you don't want to swap an option for maths that is completely your choice as its your life, If I was you I'd take on maths and psychology.

What are your other options you have? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Gunni098
If I were you maths would improve your chances dramatically better to get into competitive universities so why don't you swap one of your options which you haven't mentioned with maths because there are a lot of people out there applying and wanting to do the same course as you so having an academic subject would make your chances better of getting into university.

All I am doing is trying to help you get into university if you don't want to swap an option for maths that is completely your choice as its your life, If I was you I'd take on maths and psychology.

What are your other options you have? :smile:

I am just unsure about maths because I don't think my grade will be high enough. I don't really have any other options because most of the others are all to do with science or a humanities subject which i haven't done or won't get a high enough grade in science. I want to keep my three options I have so far I just need one other.
Thank you for your reply.
Reply 4
Original post by Munrot07
Surely if you need psychology to get on the course you have to do psychology?

If I am not capable of doing psychology I will have to go to a different university.
Reply 5
Original post by emzzirose15
I am just unsure about maths because I don't think my grade will be high enough. I don't really have any other options because most of the others are all to do with science or a humanities subject which i haven't done or won't get a high enough grade in science. I want to keep my three options I have so far I just need one other.
Thank you for your reply.

Completely fine I totally understand! Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest