The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Life in Halls!

Hi all,

I'm heading to Liverpool Uni in September to do a postgrad and I've been made an offer to stay at Vine Court (self-catered, ensuite). I'm close to accepting, but having had a read through the tenancy agreement, there are a couple of things which are worrying me a bit, so I'm wondering if anyone can help me out:

1. I note that the contract states that no overnight guests are allowed, and I'm wondering how rigidly this rule is enforced (for example, do people simply ignore it). I was surprised to learn of this caveat, and it seems deeply unreasonable for the University to restrict basic freedom in this way. I'm also concerned that this may be representative of a more general authoritarian culture at the Hall, and that when the contract talks of informing the 'warden' of any parties (which was actually spelled "party's" by the contract's author... FFS!), it really means it! Hopefully things aren't this brutal, though, and I'd greatly appreciate any advice/info. anyone may have!

2. What do people do with their cars? I don't have an option about taking mine, but the accommodation staff have been very helpful in telling me "Don't bring it"!

3. I was under the impression that Vine Court was only for postgrads, but there seem to be a few undergrads heading there - what's the deal with this?

Any additional info. would be greatly appreciated, too (e.g. what life in halls is like in general, what life at the uni is like when combined with staying in halls).

Many thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Tangerine33

1. I note that the contract states that no overnight guests are allowed, and I'm wondering how rigidly this rule is enforced (for example, do people simply ignore it). I was surprised to learn of this caveat, and it seems deeply unreasonable for the University to restrict basic freedom in this way. I'm also concerned that this may be representative of a more general authoritarian culture at the Hall, and that when the contract talks of informing the 'warden' of any parties (which was actually spelled "party's" by the contract's author... FFS!), it really means it! Hopefully things aren't this brutal, though, and I'd greatly appreciate any advice/info. anyone may have!

2. What do people do with their cars? I don't have an option about taking mine, but the accommodation staff have been very helpful in telling me "Don't bring it"!

3. I was under the impression that Vine Court was only for postgrads, but there seem to be a few undergrads heading there - what's the deal with this?

1. I wouldn't really worry about this. I view it as the kind of standard clauses they put in there to cover themselves. In reality, unless you take the mick with a full-time lodger it won't be an issue (apart from catered meal times?), and just make sure you let and floor-mates know if they will be using the shared kitchen or whatever. Equally, if you party too loud and too late someone will probably come and shut you down for the night. That was my experience in my first year.

2. Cars is a tough issue. Some halls do have car parking but Vine Court isn't one of them. No experience here I'm afraid.

3. Vine Court is one of the biggest halls Liverpool Uni has and will certainly have undergrads in it. That said however, I would be surprised if certain floors/blocks weren't reserved exclusively for postgrads.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Hi WhiteWash,

Thanks for your reply.

Have you stayed in Vine Court before? I'm wondering how they go about enforcing the 'no guests' ('no fun') rule. For example, after 11 pm, is everyone's ID checked upon entrance to the building? This could make it pretty hard to get someone in - not that you should have to sneak guests past the guards as an independent adult paying for accommodation. Or are students free to enter and exit without feeling like they're living in a prison? I don't want things going all Shawshank when I've invited someone over for the night...

Well, yikes, what to do with my car does seem to be a bit of a worry.

I was asking about the undergrads as I'll be there as a postgrad, so will probably actually have to study as I listen in deep, unabated jealousy to the undergrad partying and general fun-having. I'm wondering how feasible people find this.

Ultimately, I greatly value my independence and freedom. Since I've never lived in Liverpool and don't know much about it, I thought student halls would be an easy and safe option, but I do have some concerns (as above) so I'm hoping to hear people's opinions regarding these.
Reply 3
I will be staying in Vine Court, though catered, and I too was surprised to find out about the "no overnight guests"-rule. I guess I'll find out how strict things are when I get there..:smile:
I've applied for Vine Court on the self catered option... I'll be seriously pissed if they do the whole ID checking. I think with the amount they charge per week for that place you should be able to have guests round, not to mention the fact that we are independent adults so no need for such a ridiculous fun sucking rule.

*childish strop* :tongue:
I didn't live in vine court but a friend did. I stayed at hers for the night no probs. they don't check ID or anything there's too many entrances and not enough staff for that. Just don't take the piss and it'll be fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending