The Student Room Group

I'm 20 and i've never sworn, AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luke_Mckeown
x

I have two points:

1) In our delightful kik chat earlier, you said the word 'fag'. I am currently waiting on the poll results here to determine whether or not that is considered a swear word.

2) You claim that you "don't look down upon swearing", you "don't think it's a bad thing" and "everybody can swear if they wish". Yet, in previous debates with you on this forum, you have dismissed people's arguments with comments along the lines of "you swore, therefore you lose the argument", and "swearing is an intellectual deterrent". I think the latter two statements contradict the first 3, how do you feel about this?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by phish food
I have two points:

1) In our delightful kik chat earlier, you said the word 'fag'. I am currently waiting on the poll results here to determine whether or not that is considered a swear word.

2) You claim that you "don't look down upon swearing", you "don't think it's a bad thing" and "everybody can swear if they wish". Yet, in previous debates with you on this forum, you have dismissed people's arguments with comments along the lines of "you swore, therefore you lose the argument", and "swearing is an intellectual deterrent". I think the latter two statements contradict the first 3, how do you feel about this?

firstly, you will find quite conclusively that the word you mention is not a swear word, although there is a great deal of ambiguity between people for specific words.

secondly, i must emphasise that i don't look down on people because they swear, my point was that in a calm, constructive discussion, the use of swearing in order to intimidate another person and get your point across is not what i consider morally acceptable behaviour.

thirdly, the only reason you are on this thread is in the sole aim to ruin it and ridicule me.
you have no actual desire to learn about my experiences, merely the desire to get rep and look funny on this forum.
Reply 62
Original post by samaiar
Swearing is a good method of pain relief, both mentally and physically

i agree - i won't go in to a lecture as to why that is, but you are correct in saying that.

however it doesn't mean that people must swear in order to relieve what you call pain.
Reply 63
I never really swear either. Not because I don't agree with it, I just never started and it would feel wrong (not morally wrong, just weird).
Reply 64
Original post by Toriar
I never really swear either. Not because I don't agree with it, I just never started and it would feel wrong (not morally wrong, just weird).

that's exactly what it's like for me.

people can swear if they wish, just that i don't do it myself.
i don't feel like i'm missing out or that one day i'll crack and go crazy saying them.

some people you just can't imagine swearing tbh - i suppose to others i am one of those people
firstly, you will find quite conclusively that the word you mention is not a swear word, although there is a great deal of ambiguity between people for specific words.

secondly, i must emphasise that i don't look down on people because they swear, my point was that in a calm, constructive discussion, the use of swearing in order to intimidate another person and get your point across is not what i consider morally acceptable behaviour.

thirdly, the only reason you are on this thread is in the sole aim to ruin it and ridicule me.
you have no actual desire to learn about my experiences, merely the desire to get rep and look funny on this forum.

1) I don't think it's 'conclusive', given there's such discussion about whether it is or not. As you say, there's ambiguity at times.

2) In some of the cases that you used the "you lose the argument" or "intellectual deterrent" lines, the other person was simply using it in the context of "X player is ****" etc. That's not intimidating and is perfectly fine to get his point across.
I can't help but feel that you either do think there is something inherently wrong with swearing, or you use those phrases as a get out clause when you think you've lost the debate.

3)That's not true, and I'm not sure where that's come from. I quite like you, I merely have a couple of problems with what you're saying in this thread.
(edited 9 years ago)
You've inadvertently sworn every time you've said the word 'country'.
Reply 67
1) I don't think it's 'conclusive', given there's such discussion about whether it is or not. As you say, there's ambiguity at times.

2) In some of the cases that you used the "you lose the argument" or "intellectual deterrent" lines, the other person was simply using it in the context of "X player is ****" etc. That's not intimidating and is perfectly fine to get his point across.
I can't help but feel that you either do think there is something inherently wrong with swearing, or you use those phrases as a get out clause when you think you've lost the debate.

3)That's not true, and I'm not sure where that's come from. I quite like you, I merely have a couple of problems with what you're saying in this thread.

fair enough, maybe not conclusively but the general opinion is that the particular word is not seen to be swearing.
however that is besides the point - everybody has their own perceptions of what they deem to be good or bad words anyway.

if i said those specific things in that specific argument, i was wrong.
i don't remember saying that when a poster was talking to a player, more like when they were swearing at me.
however that doesn't mean it didn't happen - it may well have done and if so i was wrong to say such things.

i have argued throughout this thread that swearing is not bad.
swearing can offer positive things for us, i merely argue that it is not needed.
however since it is such an integral part of most people's vocabularly, i understand that people can and should use those words when necessary.

meh, maybe it isn't however it just seems like you came on to this thread solely to ridicule me as a person.
i doubt you would be here if the OP wasn't somebody you know.
but fair enough, we all have our opinions.

however if we are to talk about this topic, i suggest that we draw focus away from myself as a lone perhaps hypocritical individual, and discuss swearing in a wider context.
i.e: do you agree/disagree with some of the thing me or another has said in this thread only?
Reply 68
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
You've inadvertently sworn every time you've said the word 'country'.

interesting notion.
care to expand?

however if we are to talk about this topic, i suggest that we draw focus away from myself as a lone perhaps hypocritical individual, and discuss swearing in a wider context.
i.e: do you agree/disagree with some of the thing me or another has said in this thread only?

Well, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with swearing. It has many uses. Obviously if you just tell someone to "**** off" then that's offensive, but in basically every other case I have no problem with it.

Do you know who I am, btw?
interesting notion.
care to expand?

Lol, say the first syllable only
Reply 71
Well, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with swearing. It has many uses. Obviously if you just tell someone to "**** off" then that's offensive, but in basically every other case I have no problem with it.

Do you know who I am, btw?

i couldn't agree more :smile:

this thread was designed to see how people react to such an uncommon occurance.

people are always surprised, ironically normally using a swear word in disbelief.
but i don't see it as a bad thing.

i believe you to be the person who suggested the creation of this thread.
Reply 72
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
Lol, say the first syllable only

oh damn, i hoped for a clever person not a joker :wink:
i couldn't agree more :smile:

this thread was designed to see how people react to such an uncommon occurance.

people are always surprised, ironically normally using a swear word in disbelief.
but i don't see it as a bad thing.

I agree, it's not a bad thing, and neither is not swearing. The only problem would be if someone looked down on others for swearing.

i believe you to be the person who suggested the creation of this thread.

Das it mane
Reply 74
I agree, it's not a bad thing, and neither is not swearing. The only problem would be if someone looked down on others for swearing.

Das it mane

precisely - swearing used in the right way isn't bad at all.
the only people i look down on are those that try to intimidate others unnecessarily with foul language .

knew it, nobody else could be so clever and annoying at the same time.
ruled out mish instantly...
precisely - swearing used in the right way isn't bad at all.
the only people i look down on are those that try to intimidate others unnecessarily with foul language .

knew it, nobody else could be so clever and annoying at the same time.
ruled out mish instantly...

We're in agreement then :yep:

Dat mix of clever and annoying.
Mish is a fag
Reply 76
We're in agreement then :yep:

Dat mix of clever and annoying.
Mish is a fag

quite a rare occurance, you being a dirty united fan and all...

i don't think there should be any "swearing" on the never sworn thread :/
quite a rare occurance, you being a dirty united fan and all...

i don't think there should be any "swearing" on the never sworn thread :/

Can confirm I am a dirty United fan.

Fag isn't a swear word, apparently :tongue:
Reply 78
Im like this too. Ive never sworn apart from a couple of times when i was a child.
Reply 79
Can confirm I am a dirty United fan.

Fag isn't a swear word, apparently :tongue:

very dirty indeed.

you staying up to watch our demolition of Roma tonight? :wink:

i know, i'm just using your own logic against you :/

Quick Reply

Latest