The Student Room Group

Work Experience, Personal Statement and Confidentiality

Hey guys,
I have just recently completed work experience, shadowing Occupational Therapists in the Community but, due to confidentiality reasons I have been told that on my Personal Statement I am not allowed to mention the actual name of the company/team that I shadowed and have been given a substitute name instead i.e. Community Resource Team instead of ****-**** at *****. In my Personal Statement, would unis be OK with me saying I underwent work experience with a Community Resource Team. I'm just worried that the universities will beleive that I am making it up, when I am not because the name is so generalised! I'm not even aloud to mention the area that they are responsible for e.g. London (its not London by the way). Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thank You. :smile:

EDIT: I have got proof and a referee who is willing to confirm that I did undergo this work experience placement, if the unis inquire. Would this also be OK ?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LouieSax
Hey guys,
I have just recently completed work experience, shadowing Occupational Therapists in the Community but, due to confidentiality reasons I have been told that on my Personal Statement I am not allowed to mention the actual name of the company/team that I shadowed and have been given a substitute name instead i.e. Community Resource Team instead of ****-**** at *****. In my Personal Statement, would unis be OK with me saying I underwent work experience with a Community Resource Team. I'm just worried that the universities will beleive that I am making it up, when I am not because the name is so generalised! I'm not even aloud to mention the area that they are responsible for e.g. London (its not London by the way). Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thank You. :smile:

EDIT: I have got proof and a referee who is willing to confirm that I did undergo this work experience placement, if the unis inquire. Would this also be OK ?
You don't need to use any kind of names. You can simply say that you shadowed some occupational therapists. The important thing is what you learned from it, not who they were.
Reply 2
Original post by carnationlilyrose
You don't need to use any kind of names. You can simply say that you shadowed some occupational therapists. The important thing is what you learned from it, not who they were.

OK thank you, I know reflection is the most important part but I was worried that universities would think that I was making the experience up.
Thanks for the help
OK thank you, I know reflection is the most important part but I was worried that universities would think that I was making the experience up.
Thanks for the help

You can get your referee to mention in your reference that you have the proof, and that the universities can ask to see it at interview when you bring it with you, and that you'd be willing to email a scan of it to them before interview.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks for the help

Your school is adding its confirmation that what is in your application is the truth by allowing you to submit it under their name, so if they know it is genuine, there is no problem.
Thanks for the help

As long as you have a referee who is going to prove that you have undertaken the work experience the university would not ask you anything more. Just tell the uni about the confidentiality issues and they will understand.:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Your school is adding its confirmation that what is in your application is the truth by allowing you to submit it under their name, so if they know it is genuine, there is no problem.

Original post by itsmeapril
As long as you have a referee who is going to prove that you have undertaken the work experience the university would not ask you anything more. Just tell the uni about the confidentiality issues and they will understand.:smile:

OK thank you so much both. Any further advice regarding my application, Personal Statement or even the Work Experience part of a Personal Statement would be gratefully apreciated. Thank You
OK thank you so much both. Any further advice regarding my application, Personal Statement or even the Work Experience part of a Personal Statement would be gratefully apreciated. Thank You

Would you like me to move this thread to the Healthcare and Nursing forum for you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending