The Student Room Group

Feeling Frustrated

Hi all, I just need a bit of a rant really. I bought a flat when I was 18 and now that I'm 23 I'm all set to apply to uni but the sale of my flat is a nightmare. :frown: It's shared ownership and the company that owns the rest of it is being super unhelpful right now and I've just started proceedings with the Housing Ombudsman. I'm stressed out and miserable in my job, I feel like I've put in so much effort with my A levels and at work and in shadowing but so far it has come to nothing because I can't even apply. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Did it all get better eventually?
Reply 1
Original post by RachaelBee
Hi all, I just need a bit of a rant really. I bought a flat when I was 18 and now that I'm 23 I'm all set to apply to uni but the sale of my flat is a nightmare. :frown: It's shared ownership and the company that owns the rest of it is being super unhelpful right now and I've just started proceedings with the Housing Ombudsman. I'm stressed out and miserable in my job, I feel like I've put in so much effort with my A levels and at work and in shadowing but so far it has come to nothing because I can't even apply. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Did it all get better eventually?

:console:
Reply 2
Original post by arfah
:console:

Thanks.
Reply 3
Thanks.

You're welcome and sorry I'm not much help, I haven't been through this yet:redface:
Reply 4
Original post by arfah
You're welcome and sorry I'm not much help, I haven't been through this yet:redface:

Fingers crossed you won't have to, I don't expect people to help, I just need to vent. I started all of this in January, it took 4 months to get a valuation and since then nothing has happened.
Reply 5
Absolute nightmare! Hope everything works out!

how could you afford a flat at 18? That's impressive.
Reply 7
Original post by cheeriosarenice
how could you afford a flat at 18? That's impressive.

It was cheap so I just saved for a few months and did extra overtime when I could.

I'm actually still in pretty much the same situation as I was when I originally posted this!
It was cheap so I just saved for a few months and did extra overtime when I could.

I'm actually still in pretty much the same situation as I was when I originally posted this!

Can I ask how much it was? And sorry to hear that you are still in the same situation. That really sucks.

At the moment I rent a room (have no parents), and work part time in a bar, but my room/houseshare is pretty awful. I would really love to get a decent job so I could afford to rent a flat instead, but I only have gcses. Do you know any well paid entry level jobs?
I then plan to study A levels in evenings classes.
Reply 9
Can I ask how much it was? And sorry to hear that you are still in the same situation. That really sucks.

At the moment I rent a room (have no parents), and work part time in a bar, but my room/houseshare is pretty awful. I would really love to get a decent job so I could afford to rent a flat instead, but I only have gcses. Do you know any well paid entry level jobs?
I then plan to study A levels in evenings classes.

It's a shared ownership property so I only own 25%. The idea is you buy part and rent part, and then buy more of it when you can afford to. As I'm selling my place I recently had it valued at £60k (1 bed city centre flat). I only had GCSEs when I started working, I did office junior stuff, receptionist work and then when I was 17 I went into the NHS. I was only on a band 2 wage but there was so much overtime available I was earning £20k a year age 18. There isn't as much overtime available now and it doesn't pay quite a well but you can earn a few grand extra a year. I pay less than £360 per month for my rent and mortgage combined.
It's a shared ownership property so I only own 25%. The idea is you buy part and rent part, and then buy more of it when you can afford to. As I'm selling my place I recently had it valued at £60k (1 bed city centre flat). I only had GCSEs when I started working, I did office junior stuff, receptionist work and then when I was 17 I went into the NHS. I was only on a band 2 wage but there was so much overtime available I was earning £20k a year age 18. There isn't as much overtime available now and it doesn't pay quite a well but you can earn a few grand extra a year. I pay less than £360 per month for my rent and mortgage combined.

Wow that is cheap per month! Does that include bills? I'm guessing not.

Can I ask what city that is in, as I live in Bristol, but I can't find anything affordable. What websites can you find these shared ownerships?

I have had a look at nhs jobs, but what sort of ones can someone with just gcses apply to?
Wow that is cheap per month! Does that include bills? I'm guessing not.

Can I ask what city that is in, as I live in Bristol, but I can't find anything affordable. What websites can you find these shared ownerships?

I have had a look at nhs jobs, but what sort of ones can someone with just gcses apply to?

I'm in Leeds. People advertise on the usual sites such as RightMove but at the moment I've just put my place on Gumtree. It doesn't include bills though, no.

The jobs usually say what qualifications you needs, generally band 5 and above require a degree or relevant experience. Band 1 and 2 are entry level, band 3 requires experience but no special qualifications, band 4 is a funny in between one when you need relevant experience or A levels/a degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending