The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance at getting into Medicine?

Hi.
I obtained:

5As (Chemistry, Physics and Maths)
4Bs (Biology and English)
1C

Do you think my chances for getting into Medicine is even likely? I am awaiting my A level results, I did resit a few AS exams. I did work experience at a community Pharmacy last year.

I was considering to go for Pharmacy but through clearing as I initially wanted to take a gap year but have suddenly changed my mind. But my chances for that a quite minuscule. Any ideas on what to do. Medicine has always fascinated me and I have wanted to study it for quite a while. Should I try applying next year, changed the course, anyone know people who had similar scenarios that got into medicine, and is it really hard as people say (that's what is discouraging me from applying).

Much Appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Depends mainly on your A-level results.
What are you expecting to get at A-level?
If you get three As at A level you'll have a chance.
But to be considered a competitive applicant you need these:
Three As at A level
Good GCSEs (depends where you apply though)
Good UKCAT/BMAT score (again, depends where you apply)
Good personal statement and ideally informative work experience, voluntary work, extracurriculars, motivation
Reply 4
Original post by Emma1212
Hi.
I obtained:

1C

Do you think my chances for getting into Medicine is even likely? I am awaiting my A level results, I did resit a few AS exams. I did work experience at a community Pharmacy last year.

I was considering to go for Pharmacy but through clearing as I initially wanted to take a gap year but have suddenly changed my mind. But my chances for that a quite minuscule. Any ideas on what to do. Medicine has always fascinated me and I have wanted to study it for quite a while. Should I try applying next year, changed the course, anyone know people who had similar scenarios that got into medicine, and is it really hard as people say (that's what is discouraging me from applying).

Much Appreciated

Were those GCSEs or IGCSEs?
I am actually so sick of these threads. My GCSEs aren't the best but instead of asking random people on a forum I've actually done my research to see which schools take people with GCSEs like mine. You people want to do medicine - at least show some initiative. And also listing the experience you have makes no difference, it's how you talk about it in your personal statement. And lastly, it's nearly AUGUST - didn't you discuss this with your schools medicine or career's advisor??

Medicine is competitive as hell. At least try to show you want to get in.

(Sorry, I just find these threads really annoying)
Reply 7
Original post by Ronove
Were those GCSEs or IGCSEs?

GCSES
maybe medicine with a foundation year
Reply 9
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
I am actually so sick of these threads. My GCSEs aren't the best but instead of asking random people on a forum I've actually done my research to see which schools take people with GCSEs like mine. You people want to do medicine - at least show some initiative. And also listing the experience you have makes no difference, it's how you talk about it in your personal statement. And lastly, it's nearly AUGUST - didn't you discuss this with your schools medicine or career's advisor??

It's fine. I've been researching my universities and have a slight view on where I would apply. Just really confused and down as I feel everything is falling apart (at the age of 18)
Reply 10

I nearly replied to a post of yours on another thread where you suggested the OP's best course of action was to talk to the 'Medicine Advisor' at their school. School careers and applications advisors are the sources of some of the absolute worst advice and we see it again and again on TSR - that's if there even is such a provision at the school. I would imagine most of the regular posters here would recommend searching/asking on TSR above taking the advice of teachers at school any day of the week. Your assumption that everyone has access to that kind of thing shows a certain lack of awareness.
It's fine. I've been researching my universities and have a slight view on where I would apply. Just really confused and down as I feel everything is falling apart (at the age of 18)

Look at the uni's admission's policies. They tell you exactly how the uni selects applications for interviews and what they look for in an interview. Which schools were you looking at?
Original post by Ronove
I nearly replied to a post of yours on another thread where you suggested the OP's best course of action was to talk to the 'Medicine Advisor' at their school. School careers and applications advisors are the sources of some of the absolute worst advice and we see it again and again on TSR - that's if there even is such a provision at the school. I would imagine most of the regular posters here would recommend searching/asking on TSR above taking the advice of teachers at school any day of the week. Your assumption that everyone has access to that kind of thing shows a certain lack of awareness.

I get where you coming from. Yeah I guess I would think people would try and ask somebody who had experience handling applications like these before asking tsr. And good point, about awareness, I never thought of it like that. Thanks :smile:
Reply 13
I get where you coming from. Yeah I guess I would think people would try and ask somebody who had experience handling applications like these before asking tsr. And good point, about awareness, I never thought of it like that. Thanks :smile:

You wouldn't believe the number of times someone comes on here and says that their teacher (even the one handling Medicine applications sometimes) said they needed A-level Maths. Unbelievable.

It does get annoying when you know that the info is there and that the poster would trip over it the second they used the search function, but I can't really blame them when it's a case like this - I'm sure people can and do get in with GCSEs like those of the OP, but it's usually people with at least a few A*s that post. I'm not sure how much info there is on TSR about people getting in with GCSE grades that are so far from the typical TSR applicant's. It must be disheartening and frustrating being in the dark when everyone else can get instant reassurance!
Reply 14
Thanks for the replies. The teachers would probably laugh in my face if I mention the word medicine. Believe me. I have been clueless the last couple of months and it's daunting that I am quite confused on what career to embark on. I took chemistry, biology, art (dropped) and maths for my a levels.

Sometimes it is reassuring to hear from people who have went through the process. I have been researchiny but the information I am looking for is not available or available in limiting and unassisting amounts.
Reply 15
Researching*
Hi.
I obtained:

1C

Much Appreciated

If you get AAA predictions, go for it.
You do need a back up though, have you though about what you'd want to do as a back up?
Reply 17
Pharmacy. But I am unsure. It's slightly unsettling, the thought of not enjoying my chosen subject having continuous doubt. Anyone feel like this.
Do you have any work experience?
Reply 19
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Do you have any work experience?

Only what is mentioned. But I want to do voluntary work where possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending