The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GeschichteJunge
What do u think is the most popular subject taken at university from those you class as Posh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Usually Humanities subjects? History Of Art especially, and Philosophy, PPE, Politics & Philosophy, Land Economy. (Maybe Geography too?)
Reply 261
Original post by WishyyWoshh
Kate Middleton's degree choice! But of course, she didn't come from a posh background, did she? :wink:

Don't know about that, she's descended from wealthy wool merchants and she went to Downe House and Marlborough. :wink:
Original post by Gabriel96
Don't know about that, she's descended from wealthy wool merchants and she went to Downe House and Marlborough. :wink:

Shh, she's The Peoples Princess! :wink:
Reply 263
Original post by WishyyWoshh
Shh, she's The Peoples Princess! :wink:

Her sister has a nice arse
Some of the replies on this thread make me angry...
There seems to be this misconception that because people are wealthy and/or of a higher social class, and went to a private school,they must be more intelligent. This is just not true. The situation of one's birth has no impact on their intelligence, but rather the opportunity to develop it. I've seen and heard of many people whom are very wealthy, yet are about as stupid as it gets.

I'd even go so far as to say that exams such as A Levels are not a good measure of intelligence, as the current education system relies on students being taught to the test, and being able to answer questions and memorise and regurgitate things.
I'm a reasonable achiever academically, (I'm a B/A grade student), went to a state comprehensive, and hold an offer from a good university (York, one I would probably choose above 'better' universities because the course is perfect for me), yet I would say that I'm much more intelligent than my grades would lead people to believe (and I know that this does seem like something a jealous or whatever person would say), certainly moreso than people at my school who've gotten A/A* grades at A Level.
as for the question in the thread title, Durham, Oxbridge, Bath, and other universities with typically high requirements and/or in affluent areas would get my vote for poshest.

As an aside, I've never heard the term "rah" before...
Reply 266
St Andrews is definitely targeted by the very posh, those who are not quite good enough for Oxbridge yet are still mostly straight A candidates. I would still rate Manchester and Nottingham as stronger universities, and quite a few others in the Russell Group.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Emilygal
When it comes to the rah population in Northern universities, I would say this order explains it:

Durham - rahtastic
Newcastle - very rah
Leeds - considerably rah
Manchester - more than incidentally rah
York - slightly rah
Sheffield - not very rah
Liverpool - not a rah in sight
Lancaster/Leicester - see above

My interpretation of things. :tongue:

This is so accurate.
Considerably rah it is for me in september then...
Regarding Newcastle - where else could you get 3 triple vodka mixers for 5 pounds?

At least thats what they were while I was a student until 2012.

"Durham - rahtastic
Newcastle - very rah
Leeds - considerably rah
Manchester - more than incidentally rah
York - slightly rah
Sheffield - not very rah
Liverpool - not a rah in sight
Lancaster/Leicester - see above "

Seems about right.
Original post by Wisefire
Firstly, I like the place, and I suppose these replies may or may not mean something to you, considering you're going there lol (which by the way well done mate; the impression I got from the place was genuinely extremely strong when I went there, especially with regards to career prospects, and I myself am now considering IFRM there).

Yeah, pretty much that, but I've been there twice now (on two of their taster courses), and I must say I did notice an air of confidence and general middle-class-ish-ness with the UK-based students, if you know what I mean... Hard to describe, but with Cass at least (cos I went on a taster course for Economics at City as well as IFRM at Cass), the students there were more career-focused than I thought. Certainly, there was a clear leaning for career paths, and I know I'd appreciate being in such an environment to be honest.

Genuinely considering Cass now. Good luck there :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're looking for a university that will set you up well for the real world and you yourself are career focused then CASS is never a bad choice. IFRM also has a strong reputation among finance employers.
Original post by The_Mediocre_One
If you're looking for a university that will set you up well for the real world and you yourself are career focused then CASS is never a bad choice. IFRM also has a strong reputation among finance employers.

Trust a bunch of accountants to take the fun out of this thread.:clap2:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Melon girl
UCL and Kings College.

NO Definitely not !
Durham isn't really rah.

It's fake rah, wrong part of the country.

Most of the so called rahs there are grammar school fake it if you can't make it types, ie) Gabby Logan.

Exeter > rah Durham
Reply 273
Newcastle and Nottingham are almost identical - 437 and 439 UCAS points retrospectively and it's been this way for a long time, yes?

This is nonsense, as the grades students actually get far exceeds those required as a minimum for Nottingham, in particular for very high demand courses like Law, Medicine, Veterinary Science, Medicine, Pharmacy. For several courses you have to sit entrance tests to gain acceptance alongside the A level grades.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zenomorph
NO Definitely not !

yah they definitely are. so many wealthy students are attracted to London these days because of the nightlife, fancy expensive clubbing, Kings Road, high-end restaurants and shopping, the networking opportunities, etc. so UCL, Kings, LSE, and Imperial esp. are flooded with rich students.
Reply 275
Original post by Mansun
This is nonsense, as the grades students actually get far exceeds those required as a minimum for Nottingham, in particular for very high demand courses like Law, Medicine, Veterinary Science, Medicine, Pharmacy. For several courses you have to sit entrance tests to gain acceptance alongside the A level grades.

Nonsense? This isn't open for interpretation, it's facts. This ISN'T the minimal grades required by each university but rather the typical amount of UCAS points achieved by students at each which means that, speaking in fact, the students who attend each have almost identical grades give or take a few UCAS points. You mentioned medicine twice, since you give it such emphasis I'll remind you that Newcastle has a far more prestigious and respected medical school than Nottingham. As I said before, Nottingham is a good university, as is Newcastle, but is certainly not as prestigious as you would present it to be. Which courses would that be that require additional tests as well as A levels? I'm not saying all this because I want to go to Newcastle and am, therefore, trying to big it up - St Andrews is my firm and I'm hoping to go there and if not then Newcastle, I'm just giving you facts which, I think, help to prove my point that Newcastle and Nottingham are more or less comparable universities.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 276
Nonsense? This isn't open for interpretation, it's facts. This ISN'T the minimal grades required by each university but rather the typical amount of UCAS points achieved by students at each which means that, speaking in fact, the students who attend each have almost identical grades give or take a few UCAS points. You mentioned medicine twice, since you give it such emphasis I'll remind you that Newcastle has a far more prestigious and respected medical school than Nottingham. As I said before, Nottingham is a good university, as is Newcastle, but is certainly not as prestigious as you would present it to be. Which courses would that be that require additional tests as well as A levels? I'm not saying all this because I want to go to Newcastle and am, therefore, trying to big it up - St Andrews is my firm and I'm hoping to go there and if not then Newcastle, I'm just giving you facts which, I think, help to prove my point that Newcastle and Nottingham are fairly similar standards of universities.

Nottingham offer graduate entry medicine, hence the repeat, though a rubbish internet connection does not help when editing. You seem like a rookie student with no real business experience. Come back in 10 years time when you will hopefully understand employers and academics stick to what they know through the tradition and reputation of the Russell Group rather than risk the unknown of boom bust biased league tables that fluctuate a lot each year as more bogus random criteria and weightings are added for the amusement of Vice Chancellors.

Notts medical school has the largest teaching hospital in Europe, the QMC. I have studied there in my student days doing Biochemistry. Medical students find it very hard going to get a place, and even AAAA grades does not guarantee anything. I take it you don't have much experience of higher education yet? At just 18 you have a lot to learn. I am 30 and very well informed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 277
Original post by Mansun
Nottingham offer graduate entry medicine, hence the repeat, though a rubbish internet connection does not help when editing. You seem like a rookie student with no real business experience. Come back in 10 years time when you will hopefully understand employers and academics stick to what they know through the tradition and reputation of the Russell Group rather than risk the unknown of boom bust biased league tables that fluctuate a lot each year as more bogus random criteria and weightings are added for the amusement of Vice Chancellors.

They may offer that, but Newcastle still has a massive upper-hand with medicine. As I suspected, you once again ignore every point I addressed and, again, stress your rather tedious point about league tables being unreliable and Nottingham being superior in an almost, sorry to say, pseudo- intellectual manner with little evidence to support what you're saying. You asserted that Nottingham had much higher academic standards in terms of the students and I gave you evidence that it was bosh, you protested and I corrected you and then you said nothing more, to name but one example. Come back in 10 years time? Don't use my age against me in the assertion that I don't know what I'm talking about in regards to universities. And, for the last time, I don't solely base my arguments on fluctuating league tables. You seem like someone who has probably attended Nottingham who is trying to big-up their own university. Maybe 20 years ago your argument would be valid, not now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 278
They may offer that, but Newcastle still has a massive upper-hand with medicine. As I suspected, you once again ignore every point I addressed and, again, stress your rather tedious point about league tables being unreliable and Nottingham being superior in an almost, sorry to say, pseudo- intellectual manner with little evidence to support what you're saying. You asserted that Nottingham had much higher academic standards in terms of the students and I gave you evidence that it was bosh, you protested and I corrected you and then you said nothing more, to name but one example. Come back in 10 years time? Don't use my age against me in the assertion that I don't know what I'm talking about in regards to universities. And, for the last time, I don't solely base my arguments on fluctuating league tables. You seem like someone who has probably attended Nottingham who is trying to big-up their own university. Maybe 20 years ago your argument would be valid, not now.

You don't know what you are talking about, and at 18 nobody would expect you to. It takes several more years to understand the whole picture and how businesses and academics rank universities. Nottingham medical school is one of the very strongest, and many notts rejects end up at other good medical schools like Birmingham & Leicester. Nottingham is currently ranked 7th overall in the RAE, meaning it has world class research being undertaken in most departments. That is much higher than 20 years ago.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 279
Original post by Mansun
You don't know what you are talking about, and at 18 nobody would expect you to. It takes several more years to understand the whole picture and how businesses and academics rank universities. Nottingham medical school is one of the very strongest, and many notts rejects end up at other good medical schools like Birmingham & Leicester.

Sorry to be crude, but your attempt to suppress my very valid points against your arguments by way of my age is both pathetic and insulting. I would urge you to understand that I have enough knowledge to be justified in debating with you regarding the subject we're in dispute with. Please do not make the mistake of assuming that because someone is young then they don't have the "experience" of knowing how employers and academics would rank universities. On that point, Newcastle has one of the highest employment rates in the country - employers love Newcastle! Perhaps if we were talking about prestigious law firms then Nottingham would have the upper-hand as it has a particularly respected reputation for law. That is true, but it still, once again, doesn't defeat the fact that Newcastle has a much "better" medical department than Nottingham.

Latest