The Student Room Group

Is it illegal to have sex with someone who is one day before their 16th birthday?

Scroll to see replies

Oh, have you gotten back together with your 15 year old internet-girlfriend?
Reply 21
Stop feeding the troll. It's an obvious troll question.
Original post by Quady
Could be worse - its 18 in the USA...

That depends on the state.
Original post by M1011
Stop feeding the troll. It's an obvious troll question.

It's not a troll question, it's a question that came to my head today.
Original post by Harvey Dent
Oh, have you gotten back together with your 15 year old internet-girlfriend?

No, that's over.... This question as nothing to do with anything
Original post by MylittlePlusle
No, that's over.... This question as nothing to do with anything

No, of course not.
Is it illegal to have sex with someone who is one day before their 16th birthday?

That depends. If you reasonably believe that they are 16, then no it isn't illegal.
Original post by Theflyingbarney
Technically yes, it'd be illegal, but it'd be highly unlikely that you'd be prosecuted for it.

Would it?
Obviously it is illegal

The cut off might sound arbitrary, but it has to be somewhere
Original post by Robbo-92
Anything under 16 years would be classed as statutory rape, I said this in your last thread about your underage girlfriend whom you have yet to meet. If you two really do love each other then just wait until she is 16 before you take your relationship any further.

Nope, under 13 is stat rape, under 16 is the lesser offense of sex with a minor. I know the term "age of consent" is a bit confusing in this context.

In any case, two fifteen year olds having sex are never prosecuted, so the law is flexible in practise. There doesn't seem to be any practical alternative to having a set age that I can think of?
Technically yes, it'd be illegal, but it'd be highly unlikely that you'd be prosecuted for it.

Why would you not be prosecuted for it?
Original post by yo radical one
Why would you not be prosecuted for it?

Because it's pretty widely acknowledged that there's nothing criminal about two fifteen year olds having sex. The law is to prevent children from being exploited by adults, not to prosecute anyone who has sex just before they're sixteen.
Reply 32
Original post by Mankytoes
Because it's pretty widely acknowledged that there's nothing criminal about two fifteen year olds having sex. The law is to prevent children from being exploited by adults, not to prosecute anyone who has sex just before they're sixteen.

Yeah, but its there to stop older (say 27 year old) preditor guys trying to get in the pants of children.

Hmmmmm how old is the OP I wonder...
Original post by TurboCretin
That depends. If you reasonably believe that they are 16, then no it isn't illegal.

The person would be pretty much 16.
Original post by Quady
Yeah, but its there to stop older (say 27 year old) preditor guys trying to get in the pants of children.

Hmmmmm how old is the OP I wonder...

Exactly

I mean if one of the two were 16 and the other the day before his/her 16th birthday, morally you would not necessarily think the other one had done wrong, but what if the older person were 25, even 30, then you would feel exploitation had taken place.
Reply 35
It's not a troll question, it's a question that came to my head today.

It's a dumb troll question.
Original post by TurboCretin
Would it?

Well of course there is the caveat that you posted above, but other than that yes. And given the OP mentioned someone a day before their 16th birthday it sounds like the hypothetical defendant knows exactly how old the victim is, so it'd be a non-starter.
technically yes
I definitely think the age of consent should be lowered by at least 2 years
Well of course there is the caveat that you posted above, but other than that yes. And given the OP mentioned someone a day before their 16th birthday it sounds like the hypothetical defendant knows exactly how old the victim is, so it'd be a non-starter.

Yeah, I agree with you for the purposes of this particular situation.
Reply 39
The person would be pretty much 16.

And how old for the guy? A day over? A decade? More?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending