The Student Room Group

'Straight white guy festival' causes controversy

Scroll to see replies

well as long as its all inclusive, like anyone can attend just like in the other minorities festivals, then whats the problem?
Original post by ChickenMadness
And now you've found out I'm not you've ran out of racist insults and generalizations. Can't really be bothered to argue about the Chinese new year thing seeing as you're a self proclaimed expert on Chinese culture so it would be a waste of time for me.

Fact is you think it's okay for every other culture to have a celebration but not anything 'white' related. Tbh I really just don't understand racist people and your kind of mindset. Taking offense at other people having a celebration. It doesn't really concern you so why do you care? I live in UK and I'm proud of the achievements of this country and the history. I don't really care about race.

China is a country, not a race. So why are you making the comparison?
Black culture, refers to African American culture. There is no such thing as white culture. What it means to be white, varies depending on the region. Every European country has different customs, history & social graces. In Holland it is encourage to greet every person you meet of opposite sex with a kiss on each cheek. Holland and their culture are in no way apart of the culture of Britain. But if you are talking about British Culture and British Pride, then I don't know what you are on about when British Culture is celebrated everyday in Britain. Why dedicate a month or day to it, when it is celebrated 365 days a year? Am I missing something? O.o
Original post by Jack93o
well as long as its all inclusive, like anyone can attend just like in the other minorities festivals, then whats the problem?

No problem whatsoever. Except there's quite a few black people on here and in society that feel they've been hard done by more so, therefore the events shouldn't be in the public domain.
Original post by Truths
China is a country, not a race. So why are you making the comparison?
Black culture, refers to African American culture. There is no such thing as white culture. What it means to be white, varies depending on the region. Every European country has different customs, history & social graces. In Holland it is encourage to greet every person you meet of opposite sex with a kiss on each cheek. Holland and their culture are in no way apart of the culture of Britain. But if you are talking about British Culture and British Pride, then I don't know what you are on about when British Culture is celebrated everyday in Britain. Why dedicate a month or day to it, when it is celebrated 365 days a year? Am I missing something? O.o

You started off alright, but now you're talking rubbish.

You're telling me there's no difference between a Black Girl in the UK and one in the States?

Having lived in both I can tell you, you're wrong lol.
ye exactly lmao.

Did you know that the Kings/chiefs in Africa were selling their people as slaves to Arabs and then Europeans later?

Yes. That's not what I'm arguing about though.
Original post by Tai Ga
Yup called it. I'm debating with someone with a sub par IQ.

The range of the median IQ of the Jamaican population is between 72 and 81. Do you really want to go down this road?
Original post by TheBallWinner
You said I shouldn't celebrate "White Pride" because the Nazi's were White.

You misconstrued my point. I said, why celebrate "white history" when Nazis were apart of it. Instead you should be celebrating British History no?

And Pride, isn't necessarily about history. It has more to do with culture. But thanks for showing you completely ignorant on the matter.
Original post by ParasiteRex
The range of the median IQ of the Jamaican population is between 72 and 81. Do you really want to go down this road?

Wow. Rex. Biggest lol of the evening. Thank you.
Original post by ParasiteRex

Am I Jamaican? Nonetheless, seems someone doesn't understand the definition of average. Who's IQ is truly challenged?

How about you shut up and we call it a day :smile:

Wow. Rex. Biggest lol of the evening. Thank you.

What's really funny is that you've done nothing but contribute ad hominems to the discussion, yet revel in your so called heightened intellect. If you can't have a meaningful debate with a 17 year old, then I wonder how far you'll go.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by imtelling
Doesn't matter. The politically correct power structure is hostile to straight white males.

The term 'straight white male' is a pejorative in this culture. I bet you can't find me even one example of where the term 'straight white and male' has been mentioned in the mainstream media and associated with anything positive.

The point i am making, as a straight white ( immigrant ) male, is that people are going to react to the negativity and demonisation. I certainly feel like i have to stick up for 'straight white males' after living in this society, which is pathologically politically correct and hostile to straight white males.

Are you saying straight white males are victims? I can't say that people being burned, beat or hung until death is commonplace in this world for the simple fact they are straight. I can't say I have ever heard a gay person describe a thing a 'straight' when they dislike it. Society is geared in your favour.
Original post by Truths
You obviously don't know what Chinese New Year is if you think qualifies as a Pride, or exchangeable with Prides.

I deduced from his avatar that he is white, but I guess I stand corrected.

Sorry - i got a little bit annoyed cause I already knew he wasn't white. Excuse my tone! I should have let him speak for himself anyway.
Original post by Truths
You misconstrued my point. I said, why celebrate "white history" when Nazis were apart of it. Instead you should be celebrating British History no?

And Pride, isn't necessarily about history. It has more to do with culture. But thanks for showing you completely ignorant on the matter.

So you're telling me I'm not allowed to celebrate White History because the Nazis were white?

Do black people not celebrate being black because of those pesky Nigerians that killed the school girls? (they probably have guys). Or the fact that Black people also had slaves? Or that Black people made cash from shipping slaves?
You started off alright, but now you're talking rubbish.

You're telling me there's no difference between a Black Girl in the UK and one in the States?

I never implied that at all. I made it clear several times that Black Pride refers specifically to African American Pride. As does Black Culture most fo the time. A black british is very different to a african american, same as a white french is very different to a british french.
Straight white men are persecuted to an important extent by identity politics and the liberal consensus, but they remain the dominant hegemonic group (if you subscribe to dividing society up according to sexuality, gender and race, as the organisers of this festival clearly do). Therefore there is a persuasive argument that they shouldn't get a festival, or at least not one that's framed through the lens of identity politics.

Original post by lucybuckleyy
The point of Pride though, is that homosexuals, bisexuals, transgender etc were made to feel ashamed for who they are. Pride is a festival that says you should be proud of who you are.
Straight cis men have never been made to feel ashamed for who they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Except after the emancipation of the above groups.
The take away from this thread is what?.....That straight white males are hated. Why else would the idea of straight white males having their own celebratory festival cause so much controversy??

"THE STRAIGHT WHITE MALES WANT TO DO WHAT!!!???"

Original post by Tai Ga
Am I Jamaican? Nonetheless, seems someone doesn't understand the definition of average. Who's IQ is truly challenged?

How about you shut up and we call it a day :smile:

What's really funny is that you've done nothing but contribute ad hominems to the discussion, yet revel in your so called heightened intellect. If you can't have a meaningful debate with a 17 year old, then I wonder how far you'll go.

I'm going to take a punt at St Lucia's average IQ being lower than Jamaica. Risky of me I know, but I'd love it to be true.
Only objection is the white bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going to take a punt at St Lucia's average IQ being lower than Jamaica. Risky of me I know, but I'd love it to be true.

Ok :K: still doesn't negate the definition of average. In fact all it'll prove is how considerably lower yours must be than I originally thought :biggrin:
And now you've found out I'm not you've ran out of racist insults and generalizations. Can't really be bothered to argue about the Chinese new year thing seeing as you're a self proclaimed expert on Chinese culture so it would be a waste of time for me.

Fact is you think it's okay for every other culture to have a celebration but not anything 'white' related. Tbh I really just don't understand racist people and your kind of mindset. Taking offense at other people having a celebration. It doesn't really concern you so why do you care? I live in UK and I'm proud of the achievements of this country and the history. I don't really care about race.

To be honest though, he is right, CNY isn't really about racial pride its just more a celebration of the beginning of the year and appreciation of chinese culture. That being said CNY does make me feel more proud! I just don't think it equates to something like gay pride because gay pride comes as a response to the discrimination, whereas CNY is just like a normal New Year celebration... just chinese :biggrin:

Not tryna get all defensive or anything, but that's just my opinion - i love CNY.
Original post by Tai Ga
Ok :K: still doesn't negate the definition of average. In fact all it'll prove is how considerably lower yours must be than I originally thought :biggrin:

Pardon?

You don't know what "average" means? How old are you.

I do honestly though, not joking here, sympathise with you and for how you've been brought up. You've clearly been fed some real bull**** and not enough truth. It's shocking.

CARRY ON FEELING SORRY FOR YOURSELF THOUGH, BABE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending