The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by Gabriel96
Sorry to be crude, but your attempt to suppress my very valid points against your arguments by way of my age is both pathetic and insulting. I would urge you to understand that I have enough knowledge to be justified in debating with you regarding the subject we're in dispute with. Please do not make the mistake of assuming that because someone is young then they don't have the "experience" of knowing how employers and academics would rank universities. On that point, Newcastle has one of the highest employment rates in the country - employers love Newcastle! Perhaps if we were talking about prestigious law firms then Nottingham would have the upper-hand as it has a particularly respected reputation for law. That is true, but it still, once again, doesn't defeat the fact that Newcastle has a much "better" medical department than Nottingham.

A lot of graduates that do well in decent blue chip firms are actually those who went to former polys and did a year placement at a good company like IBM or Unilever. They prove to employers that they are solid performers with good social skills and teamwork ethic. A top university only gives you an edge in some cases, most notably in government, academic and research posts, as well as in investment banking and Law.

Nottingham's flagship course these days is Economics, not Law. Everyone I new has gone onto government or investment banking or top accountancy firms straight out of uni with a BSc Economics.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 281
Original post by Mansun
A lot of graduates that do well in decent blue chip firms are actually those who went to former polys and did a year placement at a good company like IBM or Unilever. They prove to employers that they are solid performers with good social skills and teamwork ethic. A top university only gives you an edge in some cases, most notably in government, academic and research posts, as well as in investment banking and Law.

Nottingham's flagship course these days is Economics, not Law. Everyone I new has gone onto government or investment banking or top accountancy firms straight out of uni with a BSc Economics.

So, since you've only addressed my point about law at Nottingham, I take it you've finally agreed with what I'm saying? I'm not putting down Nottingham, just saying that it's a university which is on the same league as Newcastle and I think, since you appear to be a former student of Nottingham, you tried to make it seem more prestigious than it is by an initial attack on the university which appeared the "weakest" of the rah-populated universities. Nottingham is still very good, solid and well-established; although not so much as St Andrews. :wink:
Original post by returnmigrant
Trust a bunch of accountants to take the fun out of this thread.:clap2:

I beg your pardon?
Reply 283
Nottingham is still very good, solid and well-established; although not so much as St Andrews. :wink:

St Andrews was not invited to join the elite Russell Group, and from the very latest info I have heard they won't be anytime soon (and neither will Bath sadly), as they don't offer research excellence across a broad range of subjects. They also don't have a medical school, which virtually all RG unis do have (with a few exceptions like LSE). So unfortunately, despite the high ranking of St Andrews in flawed and bogus media league tables, it is still milking off royalty for prestige and publicity.

So, since you've only addressed my point about law at Nottingham, I take it you've finally agreed with what I'm saying? I'm not putting down Nottingham, just saying that it's a university which is on the same league as Newcastle . . .

No I don't agree, I think Nottingham in reality hasn't lost it's awe factor, at least not with people who know what they are talking about. The university has shot up the RAE rankings, based on government backed departmental research assessments, so it has many world class departments. The university has also expanded with stunning campuses abroad, and boasts some of the most impressive campuses in University Park and Jubilee Campus. Not to mention it is in battle with Leeds and Manchester for being the most sought after university in the UK, with applications near 50,000 each year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 284
Original post by Mansun
St Andrews was not invited to join the elite Russell Group, and from the very latest info I have heard they won't be anytime soon (and neither will Bath sadly), as they don't offer research excellence across a broad range of subjects. They also don't have a medical school, which virtually all RG unis do have (with a few exceptions like LSE). So unfortunately, despite the high ranking of St Andrews in flawed and bogus media league tables, it is still milking off royalty for prestige and publicity.

Just because it isn't in the Russell Group doesn't mean it isn't a top university - anyone would class St Andrews as a top university. Eh, St Andrews does offer medicine? You just sound ridiculous now in denying St Andrews position as a top university. It's been regarded as such for a long time, often described as a refuge for "Oxbridge rejects" and, at any rate, it's certainly more justified as being deemed a top university than either Newcastle or Nottingham by a long shot. It has some of the brightest students from all over the UK and lots from abroad. Oh, speaking or royalty, that's St Andrews and Newcastle that's had royalty; how's Nottingham doing? :wink:
Reply 285
Oh, speaking or royalty, that's St Andrews and Newcastle that's had royalty; how's Nottingham doing? :wink:

Why don't you check their alumni on wikipedia? They have had numerous world leaders and royalty educated there. Not to mention Jeff Randall of Sky News. Nottingham will always have that awe factor that you went to ''Nottingham''. I still get it now, and I have worked for 5 blue chip firms.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 286
Original post by Mansun
Why don't you check their alumni on wikipedia? They have had numerous world leaders and royalty educated there. Not to mention Jeff Randall of Sky News. Nottingham will always have that awe factor that you went to ''Nottingham''. I still get it now, and I have worked for 5 blue chip firms.

Well not as illustrious an alumni as St Andrews. Jeff Randall? Ohhh. I think you're seriously deluded about the prestige of Nottingham, plenty of people I know have rejected it for other universities - Newcastle, Bath (one you mentioned), Manchester, Kings...
Original post by Mansun

No I don't agree, I think Nottingham in reality hasn't lost it's awe factor, at least not with people who know what they are talking about. The university has shot up the RAE rankings, based on government backed departmental research assessments, so it has many world class departments. The university has also expanded with stunning campuses abroad, and boasts some of the most impressive campuses in University Park and Jubilee Campus. Not to mention it is in battle with Leeds and Manchester for being the most sought after university in the UK, with applications near 50,000 each year.

A university being classed as part of the "Russell Group" has very little bearing on the quality of undergraduate courses, I also wouldn't call the majority of universities in the Russell group elite.
I'm avoiding applying to Durham for precisely this reason...
Reply 289
Well not as illustrious an alumni as St Andrews. Jeff Randall? Ohhh. I think you're seriously deluded about the prestige of Nottingham, plenty of people I know have rejected it for other universities - Newcastle, Bath (one you mentioned), Manchester, Kings...

Jeff Randall is the face of business news for Sky at the Gherkin, hardly a nobody. Choosing a university is very difficult, and plenty of people I know chose Nottingham ahead of others like UCL and Imperial, some for bogus racist reasons (too many asian folk in London colleges), some just because they fell for the campus set up at Nottingham). Anybody who chooses a uni just for the ranking is a fool.
(edited 9 years ago)
Cambridge is the correct answer.
Reply 291
Original post by Mansun
Jeff Randall is the face of business news for Sky at the Gherkin, hardly a nobody. Choosing a university is very difficult, and plenty of people I know chose Nottingham ahead of others like UCL and Imperial, some for bogus racist reasons (too many asian folk in London colleges), some just because they fell for the campus set up at Nottingham).

I would hardly place an established journalist a particularly shining example of alumni - most top universities have that. Well there's always exceptions when discussing people's choice of universities, but in general the reality is that people would probably go for UCL or Imperial over Nottingham. It's a nice looking university though.
Reply 292
I would hardly place an established journalist a particularly shining example of alumni - most top universities have that. Well there's always exceptions when discussing people's choice of universities, but in general the reality is that people would probably go for UCL or Imperial over Nottingham. It's a nice looking university though.

I have said in other threads that Nottingham seems to attract rich, arrogant, immature kids who are ultra competitive and untrustworthy. But that is true of many top unis. Many top students won't go to UCL or Imperial, for the reasons I mentioned before, they want to go somewhere more ''English'' that can offer as good an education as UCL. It might sound unfair and ludicrous, but a lot of students think this way. A lot of rich kids live in and around London, so decide against going to UCL.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 293
Original post by Mansun
I have said in other threads that Nottingham seems to attract rich, arrogant, immature kids who are ultra competitive and untrustworthy. But that is true of many top unis.

Maybe that's just your experiences of it, I'd say it attracts the same kind of people as Newcasltle. Just as St Andrews attracts the same type of people as Durham.
Reply 294
Maybe that's just your experiences of it, I'd say it attracts the same kind of people as Newcasltle. Just as St Andrews attracts the same type of people as Durham.

One of my best friends says Durham was exactly the same, high energy loud mouth rich kids with big egos.
Reply 295
Original post by Mansun
One of my best friends says Durham was exactly the same, high energy loud mouth rich kids with big egos.

Well being a rich kid doesn't make you a loud-mouth or poses a huge but after going to school with a bunch of them for years I'd say that's mostly true. I think some people *cough* *cough* get really up themselves about their university.
Reply 296
I think some people *cough* *cough* get really up themselves about their university.

It is part of natural selection. Pride of being seen as amongst the elite. One can work hard, and be proud of the outcome, going to an elite university.

Durham isn't that hard to get into at the Stockton campus, the requirements are less as they look to draw in people from less well off backgrounds on lower grades. You don't need AAAA.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mnina19
yah they definitely are. so many wealthy students are attracted to London these days because of the nightlife, fancy expensive clubbing, Kings Road, high-end restaurants and shopping, the networking opportunities, etc. so UCL, Kings, LSE, and Imperial esp. are flooded with rich students.

Those are foreigners.

IN this country money don't mean class
Why are you associating lower grades with 'poorer students' and AAAA with wealth?
Oxford has the highest percentage of undergraduates coming from a public school background.

Latest