The Student Room Group

What is your muscle building workout routine?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD
Yes, and everyone tells noobies that the bench is the best for gaining chest size.

I hear a lot of people on here telling noobies don't isolate/use cables, go for 5x5. Pathetic advice when their goal is to increase in size.

Push, Pull, Legs repeat.

I think the main thing is simplicity.

Noobs want a tried and tested routine, and 5x5 is what most people know.

Besides, as a noob, results will occur no matter what program you do.
Original post by tehforum
I think the main thing is simplicity.

Noobs want a tried and tested routine, and 5x5 is what most people know.

Besides, as a noob, results will occur no matter what program you do.

No, they want results. Push, Pull, Legs is not complex, it only differs on rep range/ emphasis on isolation.

Everyone knows that 8 - 12 rep range is perfect for hypertrophy. Everyone knows that 5x5 is good for strength.

Yes noobs will see results, but will it be the emphasis be on size or strength. It depends on your routine. If one was to do 5x5 he will gain mostly strength compared to someone on a routine geared towards hypertrophy.
I think if you're a noob it doesn't really matter. There's benefits to a 5x5 and there's benefits to push/pull/leg (or whatever it may be) but honestly, if you're new to it all the difference isn't that much to be getting confused, frustrated and as a result changing your routine every week. I've seen people that successful with 5x5, push/pull routine and even a bro split so really as long as you enjoy the routine your doing, stick with it and have nutrition in check you're bound to see positive results (dem noob gains).
5x5, as it is the most tried and tested workout program in the world:smile:
Push pull training it twice a week is good as is Upper/ lower in addition to ICF5x5, SS and SL, Candito etc (I'm talking about routines in general.. SS and SL are much more specific to strength only training)

Problem is programming. Most people have no idea of programming... none. Hence why people do 8-10 reps for 4-5 sets. And then wonder why adding weight to the bar is nigh on impossible and hence make little progress for years. (Diet also a joint leading culprits for the mass of captain no gainers)
Doing a set programme with clear progression and thousands of proven results is the wise decision.

Push pull legs really requires you to train 6x a week to actually progress and unless you're a god of programming you'll go through periods of being overtrained (inb4 no you're wrong)

Also a problem of UL, PP and PPL is shoulder work, specifically pressing, pressing before or after benching? - ain't no-one getting good maximal volume into there press after benching and vice versa.
Yeah you probably don't need to bench or press for hypertrophy, but it's wise.

There is the argument that a noob can do whatever to progress but it's a flawed logic - why do something that might give you gains for a while but to

final point - 8-10 rep range is not wise. Most bodybuilders work in between 5 and 12. Even the super enchanced Ronnie Coleman did sets of 5, (there's a vid of him doing T bar rows for 5 and he was originally a powerlifter).

I've probably russled some jimmies and people are free to disagree with any of the above.

At least to start with people should run a decent programme.
Original post by Angry cucumber
Push pull training it twice a week is good as is Upper/ lower in addition to ICF5x5, SS and SL, Candito etc (I'm talking about routines in general.. SS and SL are much more specific to strength only training)

Problem is programming. Most people have no idea of programming... none. Hence why people do 8-10 reps for 4-5 sets. And then wonder why adding weight to the bar is nigh on impossible and hence make little progress for years. (Diet also a joint leading culprits for the mass of captain no gainers)
Doing a set programme with clear progression and thousands of proven results is the wise decision.

Push pull legs really requires you to train 6x a week to actually progress and unless you're a god of programming you'll go through periods of being overtrained (inb4 no you're wrong)

Also a problem of UL, PP and PPL is shoulder work, specifically pressing, pressing before or after benching? - ain't no-one getting good maximal volume into there press after benching and vice versa.
Yeah you probably don't need to bench or press for hypertrophy, but it's wise.

There is the argument that a noob can do whatever to progress but it's a flawed logic - why do something that might give you gains for a while but to

final point - 8-10 rep range is not wise. Most bodybuilders work in between 5 and 12. Even the super enchanced Ronnie Coleman did sets of 5, (there's a vid of him doing T bar rows for 5 and he was originally a powerlifter).

I've probably russled some jimmies and people are free to disagree with any of the above.

At least to start with people should run a decent programme.

mate come on if you're not doing at least 6 rep sets you can't grow. everyone knows this.
Original post by illusionz
mate come on if you're not doing at least 6 rep sets you can't grow. everyone knows this.

Are my gainz a lie? :frown:
Original post by Angry cucumber
Are my gainz a lie? :frown:

who said you had gainz to show

heuheuheuheu
Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD
who said you had gainz to show

heuheuheuheu

Pls take your gyno and skinny pack away

Pls

Srs

Semi srs :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by commandant
It's stupid to alternative programs weekly.

Choose a programme, stick to it for a long time (as a beginner, you're looking at months and months, not a few weeks) and eat well. You will gain muscle.

I have decided to follow just one program now.

Mon - Upper body
Tuesday -Lower body
Thursday - Chest and triceps
Friday - Back and Biceps
Saturday - Legs and Shoulders,

what do you think? It helps me hit the same muscle twice in a week.
Original post by mrhedgehog
I have decided to follow just one program now.

Mon - Upper body
Tuesday -Lower body
Thursday - Chest and triceps
Friday - Back and Biceps
Saturday - Legs and Shoulders,

what do you think? It helps me hit the same muscle twice in a week.

that would work, you could also just do a simple upper lower split, 6-8 is the GOAT rep range imo, perfect mix of strength and hypertrophy and allows you to rapidly progressive overload

Mon: Lower
Squat: 3-4X6-8/3′ (3-4 sets of 6-8 with a 3′ rest)
SLDL or leg curl: 3-4X6-8/3′
Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2′
Another leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2′
Calf raise: 3-4X6-8/3′
Seated calf: 2-3X10-12/2′

Tue: Upper
Flat bench
: 3-4X6-8/3′
Row: 3-4X6-8/3′
Incline bench or shoulder press: 2-3X10-12/2′
Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12/2′
Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5′
Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5′

For the Thu/Fri workouts either repeat the first two or make some slight exercise substitutions. Can do deadlift/leg press combo on Thu, switch incline/pulldown to first exercises on upper body day. A lot depends on volume tolerance, if the above is too much, go to 2-3X6-8 and 1-2X10-12
Mon- core: 4x10 Russian twists with 8kg medicine ball
4x10 leg raises
4x10 cross-body crunch
4x10 dumbbell side bend but with a 20kg plate
Stretches
Run (hill sprints)

Tuesday- shoulders: 4x8x35kg military press
4x8x30 upright rows
4x8x20 dumbbell shoulder press
4x8x16 strongman lift
4x10x8 lateral raises
Superset of bent over flys, standing dumbbell press, lateral raises, standing dumbbell press, front raises. 10 of each, repeating to failure
Arms: 4x6 chin-ups
4x6 dips
4x10 tricep press ups
4x8x12 curls
4x6x15 skullcrushers
4x6x12 tricep extensions
4x8x12 preacher curls
4x6x12 tricep pull downs
Stretching
Run

Wednesday: same as Monday

Thursday: back- 4x6 pull-ups
4x8x35 bent over barbell rows
4x8x22 bent over dumbbell rows
4x8x10 bent over flys
4x8x35 seated row machine (no idea what the name is)
4x8x40 lat pull downs
Chest- 4x8 dips
4x6x22 dumbbell press
4x8x12 flys
4x8x26 pullovers
4x6x13 cable crossovers (all 3 angles)
10x press ups till failure
Stretch
5k run

Friday- same as Monday

Saturday- timed 5k
Shorter core session (no leg raises)
Stretching

Sunday- dead lifts finishing with 2x6110
Squats upto 2x6x100
Calf raises after each set of squats
Dumbbell squats 3x6x30
Superset of dumbbell squats, dumbbell lunges, box jump, squat jumps 10xto failure
Stretching

Bit long but I think that's everything. Let me know what you think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just through working and walking. I don't have use of a car so never think about it and just walking into the gym after eating a banana and cups f coffee I can lift maybe 100kg on a bench press after eating healthy will surely be around 130kg maybe but it makes you really heavy. Doing washing by hand and walking a lot and having a physical job is really a massive factor plus no car = being big plus I have always had to we never had a car when I was younger but I am too sore to do sports but still on a treadmill if I run I can run quite fast and for a fairly long time compared to normal people. It should be apparent that those who sit in cars all the time have weak bones and muscles and will be lighter and more prone to injury. I have never broken any of my bones and I have hit a trampoline edge very hard. Plus I am naturally quite big so if I don't try to hard I will get very big. I usually have to run to keep the weight off.
What a bump....
Do people not see the dates of previous posts?

Quick Reply

Latest