The Student Room Group

Getting a 1st overall with average 2:2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a10
Hmm I'm going to try to get a few internships and if I manage to get a few then ill probably just stick to the MEng course but if I can't get any then ill swap to the BEng + placement year instead. I'm doing mechanical engineering. I did an engineering foundation year before so not sure if i can do MEng+placement but last time i asked my tutor he said I could so i'll consider it though it will take 5 years to complete lol

An MEng with a placement is far better than an BEng with a placement.
Reply 41
Original post by NuriaM
Loool yep I posted that, really helped me too and I thought it would be a good idea to share hoping that it would help other people. I enjoy helping other people on doing well. Do u know any way of getting the material for next year? Maybe asking those who are going to their second year for the module handbooks because once u have that u can learn what's going to be taught throughout the whole year in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I already have the pdf versions of the books, just gotta start reading them lol
Reply 42
Original post by Last Day Lepers

Yeah I realised this but its the 5 years that's putting me off slightly..

Have you had any luck with internships yourself?
Reply 43

That's true it is better especially if aiming for bigger companies, because there are some (I think only a few) who don't care whether u have a Beng or Meng as they see them as being the same. My friend just dropped out of the Meng because he was offered employment after his placement and they said to him that if he was doing an Meng it would be the same as him doing a Beng with them plus he would be paid the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a10
Yeah I realised this but its the 5 years that's putting me off slightly..

Have you had any luck with internships yourself?

Yeah I did a placement with a small engineering firm near my uni at the end of 2nd year. Because I only had a 2:2 at the time I just went for small firms. They didn't even ask me my grade. Was an excellent experience, money was decent £17k for the year. Working as an engineer is so much better than studying to be one.
Reply 45
Yeah I did a placement with a small engineering firm near my uni at the end of 2nd year. Because I only had a 2:2 at the time I just went for small firms. They didn't even ask me my grade. Was an excellent experience, money was decent £17k for the year. Working as an engineer is so much better than studying to be one.

Yh that's like my friend they never asked him his grade, he's working for a steel company.

I def agree working IS much better and u gain so much from it. What engineering course are u doing? And are u also going to ur final year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NuriaM
That's true it is better especially if aiming for bigger companies, because there are some (I think only a few) who don't care whether u have a Beng or Meng as they see them as being the same. My friend just dropped out of the Meng because he was offered employment after his placement and they said to him that if he was doing an Meng it would be the same as him doing a Beng with them plus he would be paid the same

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I had a couple of mates that did a placement and were on the MEng then were told by they're placement employers they had a job if they wanted it and not to bother with the MEng. So it just depends on the firm and the job etc. But in general if you don't have a definite job to go into, then it's better to have the MEng with the work experience at least that way you tick all of the boxes.
Original post by NuriaM
Yh that's like my friend they never asked him his grade, he's working for a steel company.

I def agree working IS much better and u gain so much from it. What engineering course are u doing? And are u also going to ur final year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Studying electronic and electrical eng and I'm going into my 4th year of an MEng.
Reply 48
Studying electronic and electrical eng and I'm going into my 4th year of an MEng.

Awesome! I wish u luck on your final year, I can't wait to enter my final year as well pretty excited to finish :smile: (final year of Beng :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Start how you want to finish... tends to be the best way forward.
Starting from the next assignment, aim for a classification higher than you usually get... and keep trying to hit it; once you get that, repeat. How I got a first.
Original post by NuriaM
Awesome! I wish u luck on your final year, I can't wait to enter my final year as well pretty excited to finish :smile: (final year of Beng :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah same to you mate! :biggrin:
Reply 51
Original post by hellodave5
Start how you want to finish... tends to be the best way forward.
Starting from the next assignment, aim for a classification higher than you usually get... and keep trying to hit it; once you get that, repeat. How I got a first.

Excellent advice thanks so much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52

Aswome stuff bro so you took the full year out! Did you have to rent out a place to stay during the placement?
Original post by a10
Aswome stuff bro so you took the full year out! Did you have to rent out a place to stay during the placement?

Yeah, when I got the placement they asked me if I wanted to get in contact with the other interns and we ended up renting together.
I got a rather low 2:1 in my first year - I had some atrocious results in my first semester whilst recovering from a viral disease and my work ethic was a little lax even afterwards. Before starting my second year, I read all the feedback I'd received in year one, figured out where I was going wrong in exams and coursework, spoke extensively with my tutors and my adviser and forced myself to attend all lectures and seminars despite picking up a serious leg injury by accident shortly after term began.

My marks picked up and I started to receive many firsts and high 2:1s in course assessments. I was a few marks away from receiving a first for the year but was still extremely pleased with the progress I'd made. My results gave me the confidence to aim for a first overall and it motivated me to once again go over my work and figure out where I was haemorrhaging marks. I used my summer holidays that year to get in touch with my third year tutors so I could undertake some preparatory work over the summer. I started the year determined to gain a first.

I worked extremely hard throughout my third year, including many days and nights at my university library, and received a first in every assessment (bar one essay) and thus gained a first-class honours degree. If there's a 'take-home message' in all of this, I guess that it's not to be complacent. Don't assume that you can jump two degree classifications overnight. It times time, practice and effort and the sooner you can modify your work-habits and learn from your mistakes, the easier it'll be in the long run to gain those higher marks. Hope that helps!
Original post by David81
For the 1st year at uni I was getting B, C, and D. All my mates were getting A and so I just upped the effort and revision and got mainly A in the second. 3rd year, I get straight all A except for my project which I got a B. So overall I managed to get a 1st despite the lower grades in my 1st year.

Just work hard, go out maybe just once a week and put in 10 hours revision per day. A lot of effort but you are there to do your best and set yourself up for the future

Good luck!

What's with the A, B, C, D? does university mark your work with A, B, C, D? which then totals up the total to First and Seconds?
Reply 56
Original post by Eloquai
I got a rather low 2:1 in my first year - I had some atrocious results in my first semester whilst recovering from a viral disease and my work ethic was a little lax even afterwards. Before starting my second year, I read all the feedback I'd received in year one, figured out where I was going wrong in exams and coursework, spoke extensively with my tutors and my adviser and forced myself to attend all lectures and seminars despite picking up a serious leg injury by accident shortly after term began.

My marks picked up and I started to receive many firsts and high 2:1s in course assessments. I was a few marks away from receiving a first for the year but was still extremely pleased with the progress I'd made. My results gave me the confidence to aim for a first overall and it motivated me to once again go over my work and figure out where I was haemorrhaging marks. I used my summer holidays that year to get in touch with my third year tutors so I could undertake some preparatory work over the summer. I started the year determined to gain a first.

I worked extremely hard throughout my third year, including many days and nights at my university library, and received a first in every assessment (bar one essay) and thus gained a first-class honours degree. If there's a 'take-home message' in all of this, I guess that it's not to be complacent. Don't assume that you can jump two degree classifications overnight. It times time, practice and effort and the sooner you can modify your work-habits and learn from your mistakes, the easier it'll be in the long run to gain those higher marks. Hope that helps!

Brilliant and I completely agree with you, I like ur work ethics well done :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by David B
What's with the A, B, C, D? does university mark your work with A, B, C, D? which then totals up the total to First and Seconds?

I went to the University of Hertfordshire and completed a Computing Mathematics degree.

The modules/coursework were graded A1, A2, A3 (1st), B1, B2, B3 (2:1), C1, C2, C3 (2:2), D1, D2, D3 (3rd)

1st year I got: B1, D2, B1, B2, C2, D2
2nd year: A1, B3, A3, A1, B1, A2
3rd year: A1, A1, B1, A2

From the grades I got a 1st :smile:
Original post by David81
I went to the University of Hertfordshire and completed a Computing Mathematics degree.

The modules/coursework were graded A1, A2, A3 (1st), B1, B2, B3 (2:1), C1, C2, C3 (2:2), D1, D2, D3 (3rd)

1st year I got: B1, D2, B1, B2, C2, D2
2nd year: A1, B3, A3, A1, B1, A2
3rd year: A1, A1, B1, A2

From the grades I got a 1st :smile:

Do all universities mark like this?
Reply 59
Original post by David B
Do all universities mark like this?

Nope not all Uni's, my Uni marks with percentages which then for ur final grade tops up to either +70% - 1st class, +60% -2:1, +50% - 2:2, +40% - 3rd.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest