The Student Room Group

Does anybody else dislike university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChrisLay1
Same here! Hoping to do that through societies. Is that you in your profile pic? You don't strike me as someone who would be introverted :biggrin:

Lol no its not me. I've been told i look similar to her. I'm not THAT introverted, Infact those who are close to me would describe me as bubbly and outgoing. Its just that I'm more of an indoors person than outdoors :tongue:

Original post by AnharM
Introvert? You don't seem like one on TSR loooooool, wow

Ok, i'm abit of both. Anyway, I don't really come across as an extrovert on tsr anyway. I'm just more opinionated on here i guess..
Do you people that hate university go to a London uni? Seems to me its a lot harder to make friends at those unis, mainly because of how spread out everyone is... (though this is not from personal experience)
I've been twice and loved every minute. What's not to like? Independence, studying a subject you enjoy, living with your friends, nights out, being a part of societies... Maybe I'm just easily pleased!
Guys I have a question ..
Is doing cima or business management degree worth ??
Which area has more wider job opportunities ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Secretnerd123
Lol no its not me. I've been told i look similar to her. I'm not THAT introverted, Infact those who are close to me would describe me as bubbly and outgoing. Its just that I'm more of an indoors person than outdoors :tongue:

Ah right, fair enough. Good luck at Uni anyway :smile:
Original post by bethanyyyy
Do you people that hate university go to a London uni? Seems to me its a lot harder to make friends at those unis, mainly because of how spread out everyone is... (though this is not from personal experience)

I wouldn't say it's harder to make friends, it's just more difficult to do stuff with them on a regular basis.
Original post by clonedmemories
Yup, I get this a lot. It's strange, because I love my subject more than I ever imagined I would, and I've done some really awesome things since I've started. However, I have so few friends within the university itself and spend most of my time feeling lonely, so I can hardly regard it as a positive experience. I don't think I went at the right time in life - should have taken a gap year and grown up a little before I did. Still, two more years and with any luck I'll come out with a decent degree and then move on with my life.

(And it's nothing to do with joining societies - I've been a member of almost 10 this year, and have exec roles in two next year. I've just failed to form any close friendships through them)

agreed although Im beginning to make good friends towards end of year

Im doing volunteering next summer to make up for not taking a gap year
[QUOTE="ChrisLay1;48703275"]

Ah right, fair enough. Good luck at Uni anyway :smile:

Thanks and you too chris :biggrin:
Original post by TurboCretin
I wouldn't say it's harder to make friends, it's just more difficult to do stuff with them on a regular basis.

Why
I don't hate uni but I can't say I love the workload.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by trustmeimlying1
agreed although Im beginning to make good friends towards end of year

Im doing volunteering next summer to make up for not taking a gap year

I have two friends I would call good friends that I'm living with next year. (Even then, one of them I knew before starting...) Otherwise, anyone else I've become close to at university are people I've met outside university.

Volunteering next summer sounds like an awesome idea if I didn't need to work and get money! Unless I did something like Camp America. If only I liked children!
Why

Partly because chances are your closest friend lives 15-20 mins walk away, partly because everything worth doing in London is also miles away and costs half your student loan when you get there.

I'm exaggerating (slightly) - I went to UCL and had a great three years, but living the student life in London is less amenable to spontaneity.
Original post by clonedmemories
I have two friends I would call good friends that I'm living with next year. (Even then, one of them I knew before starting...) Otherwise, anyone else I've become close to at university are people I've met outside university.

Volunteering next summer sounds like an awesome idea if I didn't need to work and get money! Unless I did something like Camp America. If only I liked children!

yeh I knew know one..its still good to know where youre at tho

haha campamerica yeh wont make money on p

and pfft we all need money..volunteering and campamerica are moer once in a lifetime opportunities tho.especially for moi

haha who doesnt like children p
Partly because chances are your closest friend lives 15-20 mins walk away, partly because everything worth doing in London is also miles away and costs half your student loan when you get there.

I'm exaggerating (slightly) - I went to UCL and had a great three years, but living the student life in London is less amenable to spontaneity.

I can confirm that london is ridiculously expensive, which is why I'm leaving it for uni!
Reply 34
I'm desperate to get back to be honest, particularly in my current state where I only have the use of my wrong hand because the other is in a cast, I'm struggling to keep busy and I hate not being busy. I get into awful slumps where motivation has a habit of dying and uni gives me something to do, gives life a little structure and I actually enjoy my law course for the most part.

Edit: lots of distaste for London isn't there. My anecdotal sample of about 14 good mates from home, 1 goes to a London university (Greenwich) and he's probably having the worst time out of all of my mates. The rest are in more northern cities and are having a good time by the sounds of it.
(edited 9 years ago)

I went to a ucl once and the halls and other buildings are sooo far away from eachother. Too much effort. Still, its a great uni and I would've went there if the suckers didn't reject me :frown:
Original post by bethanyyyy
I can confirm that london is ridiculously expensive, which is why I'm leaving it for uni!

Where are you applying, if you don't mind me asking?
Maybe it is just me then. I loved first year but this year I hate it. Im a bit ditzy I suppose im badly dyspraxic im clumsy, im a bit goofy and it just got to the point every little thing I did my housemates would pick up on and laugh about. I am constantly the joke they sit and laugh about me behind my back. FOr some reason they said im thick like Forest Gump even though I managed to get into do a law degree they keep doing stupid impression anytime I say anything they copy it in that voice. Even when they meet new people or its their friends they try to get me to say words I cant say as I have a bit of a stutter and sit there laughing with total strangers about how stupid I am right to my face. The friends I made on my course I guess are the wrong kind, they are the ones who want to be top barristers who would stab you in the back to get wherever they want to be whereas im not like that I just want to be friends with everybody and have a quiet life. I wouldn't ever hurt somebody elses feelings. I get called ugly by them etc. They walk all over me I ended up having a breakdown in first term this year and had to go home. When I came back I found that they had people sleeping in my room, or they go in my room and go through my stuff then laugh about it. I love to go out clubbing and I like to sometimes drink but ive got heart problems and I don't like to drink around them because again all they do is laugh at me or try an dmkae me do stupid things, because I don't drink im boring and this and that.

At home im like a different person I have all my friends I have horses I spend all day with my horses seeing my friends, doing my pub job, I go out once a week and I just love it. Im so happy and positive. At university I just feel like crying constantly it got to the point last year that I was throwing up every time I had to go back non stop. I cant eat or sleep at uni. Non of my uni friends understand my health problems all I ever get told is why am I running back to mummy I need to man up and stay at uni. When I was ill and not there for the term I use to just receive text messages telling me how much I was missing out that its pathetic I had gone home, never once did they ask how my numerous hospital trips went or how I was feeling. I don't even think they know why I ended up leaving for a term.
Reply 38
Original post by .JJ
God I love university...

Hooray for our Lord J to the J

I freaken love skins !

Posted from TSR Mobile
I cant wait to go do my LPC as ill be able to commute but still get the benefit of uni life. If it wasn't for the fact im so close to getting onto the LPC id have quite now. IM also scared of upsetting my hosuemates

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending