The Student Room Group

raf ict tech

Scroll to see replies

Original post by She_wolf
Where can one find your blog?

It won't be of much use to you, as you're now at the same stage I am having passed your PJFT. It's helped a few of the people who have only just applied and have the AST or interview coming up though.

If you're still interested in having a read - www.ryan9900.wordpress.com

And also if you do have a read through the pages and think something needs adding or I've missed anything, let me know. Would be good to have input from others and not just myself.
http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/inside-the-bubble-21072014

Don't miss Red Arrows this weekend on BBC2!
A lot of ICT techs work on Red Arrows and I myself been to RAF Scampton where they are based (and where there is rather informative museum http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafscampton/aboutus/rafscamptonmuseum.cfm)
I've just got my prtc date 5 August start date 10th September ****ting um haha can't wait though!!!
log supply
Reply 63
Congrats! :biggrin:
Original post by Mattymarn
I've just got my prtc date 5 August start date 10th September ****ting um haha can't wait though!!!
log supply

Congrats, good dates!
How long did you wait for then since passing your PJFT?
I've got my dates too! :smile:
PRTC 5th of Aug! BRTC is on 24th of Sept!
Excited and so... soon :smile:
Original post by She_wolf
Congrats, good dates!
How long did you wait for then since passing your PJFT?

Just a week I've just got from sunny beach so it's train train haha
Reply 67
That is soon shewolf. When did you pass your pjft? I am going for supply too and have my interview in 2 weeks so sounds like I won't be far behind you
Original post by Carl25
That is soon shewolf. When did you pass your pjft? I am going for supply too and have my interview in 2 weeks so sounds like I won't be far behind you

Hi Carl, passed it 4 days ago on Sunday :smile:
Good luck, I'm sure you won't be, yours is pinch trade too!
Reply 69
Thanks! What is pinch trade ha? And if I pass my medical and pjft next month what would you reckon my rough dates could be judging by yours
Original post by Carl25
Thanks! What is pinch trade ha? And if I pass my medical and pjft next month what would you reckon my rough dates could be judging by yours

Pinch trade means that it is in demand and they are fast-tracking those trades.

Difficult to say, if your medical goes without any problems at all, your PJFT is usually done within a week after passing medical, and after that they give you dates, not as early as mine, but wouldn't be too far behind, BUT if medical finds ANY tiny problem, you could potentially be stuck for months waiting on paperwork. We all have horror stories to prove it...
Reply 71
Ok thanks hope all goes smooth and in by the bed of the year then :smile:
Hi all,

I submitted my application for ICT Technician on Friday. I have started fitness training already, start early as they say. Has anyone got any general advice on what to practice mainly?

I mainly practice bleep test for running as was joining police so can easily do most of it just need to push myself to get up to the required for RAF! But would a running club be an idea to join?

Anyone got the rough time scales from submission of application to the next stages, as it seems to vary from postings I find on websites and forums.

Nick
Original post by NickM5909
Hi all,

I submitted my application for ICT Technician on Friday. I have started fitness training already, start early as they say. Has anyone got any general advice on what to practice mainly?

I mainly practice bleep test for running as was joining police so can easily do most of it just need to push myself to get up to the required for RAF! But would a running club be an idea to join?

Anyone got the rough time scales from submission of application to the next stages, as it seems to vary from postings I find on websites and forums.

Nick

Hi Nick

A variety of different types of training would be most beneficial. A mix of longer runs, shorter intense runs, and interval training works best. A personal preference for me is off-road/cross-country/hill running. This, I feel, will best prepare me for the conditions that I'll be facing during basic training. However, since you've only just applied and therefore only have the fitness test to contend with at this stage, I would mainly try and use flat surfaces if I were you. A running club may be a good idea too like you mentioned, the competitiveness will probably help you push yourself further than you would otherwise.

As far as time scales go, it's impossible to say. Some trades go quicker than others, so AFCO's work quicker than others. It's different for pretty much everyone.
Original post by ryan9900
Hi Nick

A variety of different types of training would be most beneficial. A mix of longer runs, shorter intense runs, and interval training works best. A personal preference for me is off-road/cross-country/hill running. This, I feel, will best prepare me for the conditions that I'll be facing during basic training. However, since you've only just applied and therefore only have the fitness test to contend with at this stage, I would mainly try and use flat surfaces if I were you. A running club may be a good idea too like you mentioned, the competitiveness will probably help you push yourself further than you would otherwise.

As far as time scales go, it's impossible to say. Some trades go quicker than others, so AFCO's work quicker than others. It's different for pretty much everyone.

Hi Ryan,

Cheers for that. I'll continue doing bleep test then, in addition some road running then, pretty flat around here so shouldn't be too bad. From what i have read most people seem to go through the first Fitness test with no problems - As long as you make some attempt to train for it. Looking forward to the journey and hopefully it will be successful.
Reply 75
Would you say it's worth practicing on a treadmill before the fitness test as I haven't used one in about 10 year! Done loads of road running though so am easy fit enough to run the 1.5 in about 10 minutes. Found I was doing too much running as I was training for a half marathon too, now I just mix it up with shorter 3 mile runs, 10-12 mile cycling, free weights, swimming and press ups and sit ups. That combination should serve me well
Hi Ryan,

Cheers for that. I'll continue doing bleep test then, in addition some road running then, pretty flat around here so shouldn't be too bad. From what i have read most people seem to go through the first Fitness test with no problems - As long as you make some attempt to train for it. Looking forward to the journey and hopefully it will be successful.

You'd have to have not bothered at all if you were to fail the PJFT. No excuses really, if you want to pass, you'll put in the required effort.

Best of luck!
Original post by Carl25
Would you say it's worth practicing on a treadmill before the fitness test as I haven't used one in about 10 year! Done loads of road running though so am easy fit enough to run the 1.5 in about 10 minutes. Found I was doing too much running as I was training for a half marathon too, now I just mix it up with shorter 3 mile runs, 10-12 mile cycling, free weights, swimming and press ups and sit ups. That combination should serve me well

I'd never ran on a treadmill before the PJFT. I mean, if you've got the chance then it's probably worth doing as there will probably be quite a big difference between your best road run time and your best treadmill time at 0% incline. Give it a go if you can, but if not, it won't be an issue.
Original post by ryan9900
You'd have to have not bothered at all if you were to fail the PJFT. No excuses really, if you want to pass, you'll put in the required effort.

Best of luck!

Exactly, I'm willing to put in what it takes. Never found a job that suited my skills and qualifications that well, and comes with a good life.

Many people get failed on the exam based part?
Exactly, I'm willing to put in what it takes. Never found a job that suited my skills and qualifications that well, and comes with a good life.

Many people get failed on the exam based part?

Quite a few do, yes. Time limits catch people out first time around and some times it takes a second attempt to do as well as you'd like.

It's testing natural ability and the ability to work under pressure, so obviously some will be better than others.

You can prepare for it though, partially. Mental maths plays a big part, and general knowledge of electrical and mechanical principles. Nothing much can be done to prepare for the memory test, spatial reasoning or work rate. Again, most if it is testing your natural ability.

Quick Reply

Latest