The Student Room Group

Any point in applying for a Job now?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lil08
Hello,

I have two months until I start university and I have absolutely nothing to do. I've applied for a few temporary jobs in retails already with no luck. :frown: Is it even possible to get temporary work for two months? I feel hopeless. Im an undergrad with little experience.

I'd recommend applying for a bank staff job in care (if you can stomach it).

There is a shortage of care staff around the UK, the pay is good, and you'll be able to go back and work whenever you can in the holidays from uni.

This is what I have done, I work 5 minutes away from my house, and can pretty much choose the shifts that I do (which is whatever I can get my hands on, 7 x 12 hour shifts in 8 days!).
Temping agency?
Reply 22
Original post by lamyers1

There is a shortage of care staff around the UK, the pay is good, and you'll be able to go back and work whenever you can in the holidays from uni.

This is what I have done, I work 5 minutes away from my house, and can pretty much choose the shifts that I do (which is whatever I can get my hands on, 7 x 12 hour shifts in 8 days!).

Sorry, is it possible for you to provide more information on this?

they must require previous experience for those jobs
Reply 24
Original post by Lil08
Sorry, is it possible for you to provide more information on this?

I work as a care assistant in a local care home, and earn £6.86 an hour, with 12 hour shifts. This means that I can work full time doing 3 days one week and 4 the next.

Being on bank staff means that you fill spaces where other people are unable to work or they have staff shortages. So if I say I am back for 2 weeks and can work whenever they want, they will fill in the shortages with me.

My job involves assisting dementia residents with meal times, getting washed and dressed, pad changes if they are incontinent, changing beds, and pretty much anything else involved in their care that needs doing (no drug rounds though, you need extra training and qualifications for that).

You can also be a care assistant doing the same things in hospitals, and care/assisted living homes where the residents don't have dementia, but may have other health problems (such as parkinsons) which mean that they need assistance with day-to-day care.
Reply 25
Original post by Jack93o
they must require previous experience for those jobs

A lot of NHS hospitals do, but I applied to a care home with zero previous experience, and got offered the job within a day of my application and interview.

The shortages in staff means that often they need to hire and train you quickly, obviously with CRB checks being a-ok. (making sure you're not a threat to the residents/patients, as they are obviously very vulnerable).
Reply 26
Original post by Jack93o
do you find those emails from the indeed website?

what I've found is that most of the job openings want you to work for a few months minimum, but I can only work until mid sept before I go back to uni. They also want previous experience as well, brilliant :rolleyes:

Yeah, I've found a few on there :smile:
Reply 27
Good news I found a job! And I also found out that places like JL are actually looking for people to do a month and a bit of work full time. Don't give up guys! :smile:
Original post by zedaa
Good news I found a job! And I also found out that places like JL are actually looking for people to do a month and a bit of work full time. Don't give up guys! :smile:

did you have previous experience?
A lot of NHS hospitals do, but I applied to a care home with zero previous experience, and got offered the job within a day of my application and interview.

The shortages in staff means that often they need to hire and train you quickly, obviously with CRB checks being a-ok. (making sure you're not a threat to the residents/patients, as they are obviously very vulnerable).

how do you find these places that require no experience? did you just email/phone a list of local hospitals and care homes until you found one that didn't need experience??
Original post by corax
Yeah, I've found a few on there :smile:

you had any luck in finding a job?

I'm thinking of going round places this weekend and asking them in person
Reply 31
Original post by Jack93o
you had any luck in finding a job?

I'm thinking of going round places this weekend and asking them in person

Nope not yet :frown:

Good luck! :smile: I did that last month, handed a few out but most people said they weren't hiring :frown: I think I might do some work experience in my mum's work to try and improve my CV.
Reply 32
Original post by Jack93o
how do you find these places that require no experience? did you just email/phone a list of local hospitals and care homes until you found one that didn't need experience??

I just went in with my CV to local care homes, the one which had jobs available offered me an interview on the spot.

When I emailed my local hospital they said that I needed experience.

It's worth popping in with your CV if you can, otherwise call them and ask if they have jobs available and don't require experience.
Reply 33
Original post by Jack93o
did you have previous experience?

Yeah
Can you apply to places like McDonalds and quit 2 months after? Or should I tell them that I'm planning on leaving 2 months after?
Reply 35
Original post by Dilzo999
Can you apply to places like McDonalds and quit 2 months after? Or should I tell them that I'm planning on leaving 2 months after?

My little sis works there and she said everyone (10+ employees who started mid july) are planning to leave for uni come september but they haven't let the manager know. So don't tell them :smile:
Reply 36
Anybody had any luck?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by corax
Anybody had any luck?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've given up (for now) corax.
I'll resume the job search after results day:/
Most of these jobs are permanent positions :|

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by zedaa
John lewis and boots lol yeah.. I guess :smile: I got a interview for the 7th August, but I was thinking that its too late.. ugh!

Is your interview on the 7th for Boots? :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by livealittle
I've given up (for now) corax.
I'll resume the job search after results day:/
Most of these jobs are permanent positions :|
Posted from TSR Mobile

Mm yeah, I think I'm going to try and find some temporary positions.
I feel a bit disappointed with myself as I was determined to get a job when I finished college and save for Uni :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending