The Student Room Group

'Straight white guy festival' causes controversy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChickenMadness
Chinese new year isn't the only celebration. Notice how I didn't say Chinese new year in my post.

And also Dinagyan Festival is literally like the gay pride parade but instead just Filipino pride about the culture and history. Loads of dancing and floats. There are also a lot of festivals like this for Chinese communties that are pretty much the same as the gay pride parades.

God you're so ****ing ignorant. You're not even addressing any of the points I make either. Just lol at you googling Chinese new year and pretty much repeating what I already said to you.

Anyway I'm getting bored of arguing with a racist kid.

Gay Pride:
Gay pride or LGBT pride is the positive stance against discrimination and violence toward lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people to promote their self-affirmation, dignity, equality rights, increase their visibility as a social group, build community, and celebrate sexual diversity and gender variance.

[h="1"]
Dinagyang
[/h]
The Dinagyang is a religious and cultural festival in Iloilo City,Philippines held on the fourth Sunday of January, or right after the Sinulog In Cebu and the Ati-Atihan in Aklan. It is held both to honor the Santo Niño and to celebrate the arrival on Panay of Malay settlers and the subsequent selling of the island to them by the Atis.

How are these similar in anyway? They exist for completely different reason. Dinagyang is not a Pride Festival. Try again.
Original post by Jordooooom
http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/23/straight-white-guy-festival-sparks-controversy-4807716/

So apparently there were flyers for a festival solely for white straight guys. It may not even be a real thing but nevertheless it has stirred some controversy.

What are you thoughts?

Personally I think such a festival is stupid and pointless but I don't understand the anger towards it. It's not like it's mlpromoting hate at anyone? (As far as we can tell)

I honestly think such an event would be terribly boring.

the only thing that would get me going to such a festival would be music.
and i strongly raise an eyebrow at the kind of bands that would play at such a festival.

i really doubt you'd get any cool bands like Down or Metallica playing at something that could potentially ruin their career.

the closest thing to a straight white male festival is just heavy metal concerts. where women and gays and people of colour are allowed but they just feel uncomfortable to go.

the kind of bands that would play at such an event i imagine would be pretty awful.

otherwise there is pretty much nothing that would bring me to a park to stand around drinking with a bunch of straight white guys.

i might as well go to a pub after a football match.

really i think the only thing its doing is poking fun at the fact that people who are not white or straight or male are not catered for in this event. or worst of all. excluded.

as a straight white guy i do get pretty sick of being smeared as a racist, rapist, sexist jew hating, muslim hating, orientalist, white supremacist, homophobic, transgender hating, privileged, inconsiderate nazi sympathiser.

why do i get smeared as this?
well its simple.
if i dont agree with someone. the easiest way to discredit me is to smear me with one of the above labels. not only does labelling me as one of the above discredit me, it also rallies support from the "good guys" to aid the person im arguing with.

its a cheap, lazy, dirty move.

but im used to it.

its just quite annoying that there are not enough people educated enough to no when people are doing it.

whats bad is its got to the point where im just used to being labelled these negative things.
and where i may have been bothered about it and fought against such slandering. now theres just too many dumb people who fall inline behind it without critical thinking. now? i just don't care anymore.

now? i just don't really want to know anymore.
you're black? don't care.
you're muslim? don't care.
you're gay? don't care.
you're jewish? don't care.
you're transgender? don't care.
you're a women? don't care.

I used to care about these things. I used to be a big left wing hippy that wanted to save all oppressed peoples. but i couldnt stand the narcism, the ignorance, the double standards, the lack of action, the lazyness, the egotism and lack of responsibility.

i got tired of being the punch bag.

and i got tired of people who said they believed in things just because it was popular and socially beneficial to say so.

its gotten pretty bad. its become pretty ridiculous.

and now you have people like "The National Policy Institute" and the "Men's Rights Activist" movements.
really its a backlash to extreme left taking it too far and not enough moderates standing up as a quality control of representation.

While I think realistically such an event would be boring and not worth going to. the fact that extreme lefters have reacted to it in outrage has actually given it more power than it ever had in its own merit.

they wanted a reaction.

they got it.

they won.

you lost.

you're all fools.

also just letting you know.
straight white men.

there is nothing you can do that will ever be good enough in the eyes of the extreme left.

the only way you will make gays happy is if you die or become gay.
the only way to make feminists happy is if you die, even if u transgender it won't be enough.
the only way to make muslims happy is if you die or convert or die.
the only way to make black nationalists happy is if you die.

nothing you can do. no amount of sympathy. no amount of activism. will ever be good enough. you will run around in circles. you will lose your entire life to these people. and when your left an empty husk. they will stand over you saying you "are just the same as all the rest"

the extreme left has made it increasingly problematic for white straight males to civilly interact with those who are not of their demographic.

and they are doing a better job of creating counter extremists, burning bridges and alienating people, than they are of forwarding positivities in favour of their represented demographic.

feminism
black radicalism
gay rights activism

its all just ways of people trying to get you to do stuff for them for free. they are pimps who pimp their own kind.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CryptoidAlien
A bitter black guy butthurt because a white guy is proud to be white. Haha, you're a true racist.

Yep that's right. Bitter black guy. That's it. I just need to get the chip off my soldier.
Original post by Mick.w
there is nothing you can do that will ever be good enough in the eyes of the extreme left.

the only way you will make gays happy is if you die or become gay.
the only way to make feminists happy is if you die, even if u transgender it won't be enough.
the only way to make muslims happy is if you die or convert or die.
the only way to make black nationalists happy is if you die.

This is true.
Original post by Truths
Yep that's right. Bitter black guy. That's it. I just need to get the chip off my soldier.

Bitter about what
Original post by gazebi
Correct me if I'm wrong but those would be the equivalent of public holidays - like we have in the UK too e.g St Georges Day, Good Friday, Easter, Christmas etc
Other festivals relating to race or sexuality or whatever aren't public holidays.

Whats wrong with a festival? Notting Hill Carnival is celebrated every year by Black people, I don't go go around complaining and shouting. When you live in a society which says one group is 'privledged' you're gonna insult people, then claim that every other group is a poor, poor victim, you have a unbalanced one way viewpoint.

Black people also do not face Political Correctness unless they make a comment about Islam or gays, it's generally the majority which are castigated and every Example of Politicall Incorrectness is measured generally to potentially offending/making cultural insensetive comments about Islam.
Original post by Truths

You do mate because if I lived in South Africa with the whites I wouldn't have any problem with Blacks celebrating themselves that would be my problem, because there is nothing negative about people getting together and celebrating.
Whats wrong with a festival? Notting Hill Carnival is celebrated every year by Black people, I don't go go around complaining and shouting. When you live in a society which says one group is 'privledged' you're gonna insult people, then claim that every other group is a poor, poor victim, you have a unbalanced one way viewpoint.

Black people also do not face Political Correctness unless they make a comment about Islam or gays, it's generally the majority which are castigated and every Example of Politicall Incorrectness is measured generally to potentially offending/making cultural insensetive comments about Islam.

I'm not quite sure I understand your point.
Original post by Harvey Dent
What's the problem with this? Homosexuals are allowed to be proud of their sexuality, blacks are allowed to be proud of their race, but when straight white guys do the same it's suddenly wrong?

Essentially, minorities view every single day as being a 'straight white guy parade.' The idea of being proud to be white has not ''suddenly'' become wrong. The past few millennia of persecution of all other minorities (gays, blacks, women) by 'straight white guys' has been a pretty good run for straight white guy pride festivals. Therefore, it's perfectly understandable that minorities can raise an objection to reinstating such pride for being normal and dominant, as such festivals would represent a regression back to darker times, in my opinion.
Original post by gazebi
I'm not quite sure I understand your point.

He doesn't have a point because he doesn't even know why Pride Festivals exist in the 1st place. I mean, we don't even have black pride festivals, so why do white people feel like they are being mistreated?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Truths
He doesn't have a point because he doesn't even know why Pride Festivals exist in the 1st place.

I'm getting rather tired of this debate because we aren't getting through to anyone.... but your responses are far more articulate than mine and better explained. If you can't do it, I can't either but good job for trying mate!
Original post by gazebi
Correct me if I'm wrong but those would be the equivalent of public holidays - like we have in the UK too e.g St Georges Day, Good Friday, Easter, Christmas etc
Other festivals relating to race or sexuality or whatever aren't public holidays.

Well the ones I'm talking about are events with floats and parades, performers dressing up and dancing, beauty pagent stuff going on.

Pretty much the same stuff that goes on in gay pride parades but a bit different depending on which festival it is. e.g. the Dinagyan festival has all of that stuff and it's just a pride thing. Performers dress up and dance to represent the different ethnic groups and historical tribes in the Phillipines and dance n all sorts. It happens in January. And it happens in the UK as well. They're events that you attend rather than holidays where you sit at home and get free time off work.

And theres also a lot of Chinese things like that which my mum was involved in when she was growing up because she lived in the Philippines but theres a big Chinese community there.

Thats actually something I find a bit dissapointing about living in UK because there aren't any festivals like that here. Like in Brazil there are loads of them as well. Festivals celebrating the diversity and culture of the country with carnivals everywhere. They do them in the Phillipines and in Chinese communities as well but they don't really have them in British culture which is a bit boring.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lucy_Noble
Straight white guys don't need to because they haven't been victimised on the same scale as non male, non straight and/or non white people have.

I will inform my son he cannot be proud of who he is until he is bulled by the older kids at school.
Well the ones I'm talking about are events with floats and parades, performers dressing up and dancing, beauty pagent stuff going on.

Pretty much the same stuff that goes on in gay pride parades but a bit different depending on which festival it is. e.g. the Dinagyan festival has all of that stuff and it's just a pride thing. Performers dress up and dance to represent the different ethnic groups and historical tribes in the Phillipines and dance n all sorts. It happens in January. And it happens in the UK as well. They're events that you attend rather than holidays where you sit at home and get free time off work.

And theres also a lot of Chinese things like that which my mum was involved in when she was growing up because she lived in the Philippines but theres a big Chinese community there.

Truths is not talking about the content of the parades, but the reasoning behind them - it's a different point entirely. These are examples of cultural festivals - not festivals that stand against discrimination.
I will inform my son he cannot be proud of who he is until he is bulled by the older kids at school.

It isn't really about being proud, but rather not being ashamed.
Original post by gazebi
Truths is not talking about the content of the parades, but the reasoning behind them - it's a different point entirely. These are examples of cultural festivals - not festivals that stand against discrimination.

Ye but the entire basis of his arguement is basically, White people can't be proud.

I think everyone has a right to be proud of their identity and have their own celebrations without anyone discriminating against them.
Original post by Lucy_Noble
It isn't really about being proud, but rather not being ashamed.

Can you even hear yourself? You also said ashamed - British people are taught to be ashamed of the Empire, Slavery,
They'ee constantly blamed and reminded, so why are you arguing aginst their march?
(edited 9 years ago)

White people do not understanding that their Pride Day is every day. White people do not understanding that their White History month is 12 months a year whether it be through History classes or through any of those historic BBC dramas from Tudors to Becket. Straight people do not understand that heterosexuality is celebrated everyday in society, in media, on tv, in the movies etc & as we continue to live in a heteronormative society, gay people continued to be stigmatized and shunned. White/Straight people don't understand that Pride Festivals are used to celebrate marginalized, minority groups that are either generally oppressed or unsung. But nope, White people must have everything, and if they see something that does not exist on their terms it is "discriminatory" and "unfair".

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gazebi

It's about time they have a festival specifically for straight men in america anyway because of the huge feminist movement deamonizing men and anti-male propaganda there anyway. Theres loads of discrimination against men in that country now due to feminism. That culture is starting to leak into the UK as well.

Like women getting sponsored for degrees while men aren't eligible and stuff like that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Ye but the entire basis of his arguement is basically, White people can't be proud.

I think everyone has a right to be proud of their identity and have their own celebrations without anyone discriminating against them.

So you agree that cultural festivals and pride festivals are different things - good.

It's more complex than "White people can't be proud". I'm not the greatest with words but I'll try and explain as best I can, and this will be the last time because If i can't help anyone (not just you) see this side of the argument then I'm just going to give up - nothing personal against you as a person though, we'll be meeting at some point anyway so I want to be able to get on with you still.

Everyone does have a right to be proud of their identity free from discrimination yes. The argument here is that a SWM festival is not needed to express this pride for being white. A white person in this society may express their pride everyday, freely, from discrimination - don't you see, this is part of being the norm, so there is no reason for a special festival to be arranged in order to be proud. Festivals for minorities exist because these people aren't part of the norm, so their festivals are a way to bring their issues into the light and stand against discrimination.

That is the whole point of the argument

Quick Reply