The Student Room Group

'Straight white guy festival' causes controversy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by lucybuckleyy
The point of Pride though, is that homosexuals, bisexuals, transgender etc were made to feel ashamed for who they are. Pride is a festival that says you should be proud of who you are.
Straight cis men have never been made to feel ashamed for who they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmao exactly, reverse discrimination never works :laugh: In fact it's not even a thing.
Original post by lucybuckleyy

Straight cis men have never been made to feel ashamed for who they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't agree with that in recent years.
Reply 242
Original post by XMaramena
I wouldn't agree with that in recent years.

Well you are male and so I presume you are being subjective. No one has discriminated or shamed white straight men, as it is they who "rule" the world.
Original post by Truths
White people do not understanding that their Pride Day is every day. White people do not understanding that their White History month is 12 months a year whether it be through History classes or through any of those historic BBC dramas from Tudors to Becket. Straight people do not understand that heterosexuality is celebrated everyday in society, in media, on tv, in the movies etc & as we continue to live in a heteronormative society, gay people continued to be stigmatized and shunned. White/Straight people don't understand that Pride Festivals are used to celebrate marginalized, minority groups that are either generally oppressed or unsung. But nope, White people must have everything, and if they see something that does not exist on their terms it is "discriminatory" and "unfair".

White histoey day everyday? I don't see no celebrations, and so what if there was? How does that concern you?

If I have 8 TV's are you going to complain that I have to many and spend hours online arguing against my decision (Since you seem bothered about there beinf 'too much' or something and so highly passionate about 'whats not needed'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ApeMob
Well you are male and so I presume you are being subjective.

And that says it all.
Reply 245
Anyone who is angry about this festival needs to get out more. It doesn't affect you so why would you care?
Original post by CryptoidAlien
White histoey day everyday? I don't see no celebrations, and so what if there was? How does that concern you?

Yes white history, is everyday. You are so entitled that you are unaware of your own privileges. The history of Great Britain is compulsory in the UK's education curriculum from KS1. Not African History, Not Asian History. Maybe you haven't noticed, there is a plethora of BBC Dramas based around British/European Historical Eras. I am yet to see one based on, say Ancient Egypt.
Original post by gazebi
So you agree that cultural festivals and pride festivals are different things - good.

It's more complex than "White people can't be proud". I'm not the greatest with words but I'll try and explain as best I can, and this will be the last time because If i can't help anyone (not just you) see this side of the argument then I'm just going to give up - nothing personal against you as a person though, we'll be meeting at some point anyway so I want to be able to get on with you still.

Everyone does have a right to be proud of their identity free from discrimination yes. The argument here is that a SWM festival is not needed to express this pride for being white. A white person in this society may express their pride everyday, freely, from discrimination - don't you see, this is part of being the norm, so there is no reason for a special festival to be arranged in order to be proud. Festivals for minorities exist because these people aren't part of the norm, so their festivals are a way to bring their issues into the light and stand against discrimination.

That is the whole point of the argument

Ye I see your arguement I just don't agree with it at all.

At the end of the day those festivals are still happening. What harm does it do to anyone to have another one for a different set of people?

But in the context of the OP. You should realise this is in america. They even have female only holidays in america now. And there are a lot of issues there that don't exist in the UK. The feminist movement is huge and they have laws that blatantly discriminate against men. They have scholarships for their colleges that are available to women and not men now. There are also a lot of scholarships for different minority groups but not whites. So white males get the least amount of help for education and it's starting to show in the fact there are more women in universities than men now in that country. It's not really an issue in UK.

And they have so many campaigns that discriminate against men. like 'don't be that guy', 'when did he stop treating you like a princess?', etc.

The political movements going on in that country are ridiculous

I think those posters are fully justified.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 248
Original post by Truths
Yes white history, is everyday. You are so entitled that you are unaware of your own privileges. The history of Great Britain is compulsory in the UK's education curriculum from KS1. Not African History, Not Asian History. Maybe you haven't noticed, there is a plethora of BBC Dramas based around British/European Historical Eras. I am yet to see one based on, say Ancient Egypt.

I'm sure it was cleared up earlier that the reason for this is because we live in Britain not Africa? Also, i'm pretty sure that children throughout the UK learn about other countries historys because i sure did. Also i've seen many documentarys from the BBC about areas other than the UK, there are just more about the UK, cause again, we live in the UK.
Original post by CryptoidAlien
Can you even hear yourself? You also said ashamed - British people are taught to be ashamed of the Empire, Slavery,
They'ee constantly blamed and reminded, so why are you arguing aginst their march?

If you feel like you are being made to feel ashamed because of your race/cultural identity then I can't convince you otherwise, but you have to recognise that legally LGBT/ethnic minorities have been prosecuted against on such a scale that the 'British' you speak of never have and probably never will.
Original post by ChickenMadness

At the end of the day those festivals are still happening. What harm does it do to anyone to have another one for a different set of people?

But in the context of the OP. You should realise this is in america. They even have female only holidays in america now. And there are a lot of issues there that don't exist in the UK. The feminist movement is huge and they have laws that blatantly discriminate against men. They have scholarships for their colleges that are available to women and not men now. There are also a lot of scholarships for different minority groups but not whites. So white males get the least amount of help for education and it's starting to show in the fact there are more women in universities than men now in that country. It's not really an issue in UK.

And they have so many campaigns that discriminate against men. like 'don't be that guy', 'when did he stop treating you like a princess?', etc.

What festivals are still happening? I see no real SWM festivals? I don't think you do understand my argument? I'm pretty confused

I don't know what this has to do with feminism. I don't wish to go into feminism because i'm not sure of my own stance on feminism yet. I'm pretty neutral about that - take this up with a feminist if you wanna talk about that, i'm not one :smile:
Original post by Truths

lol. Watch more TV then. Because I've seen a lot of documentaries on Egypt.

And I actually learnt about Egypt when I was in school. Also Roman history and Vikings.

And no duh we live in UK and a lot of people want to know about the history of their country and find those TV shows interesting. You should be interested in those documentaries as well seeing as you live here and are a part of this country. And to be quite honest Europe has the most concentrated and exciting history of most of the world. The amount of war and political intrigue throughout Europe's history is just so much higher than any other part of the world. Not many places have had a war thats lasted over 100 years.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lucy_Noble
If you feel like you are being made to feel ashamed because of your race/cultural identity then I can't convince you otherwise, but you have to recognise that legally LGBT/ethnic minorities have been prosecuted against on such a scale that the 'British' you speak of never have and probably never will.

Why is it not okay for people, privileged or otherwise, to celebrate who they are?
Original post by gazebi
What festivals are still happening? I see no real SWM festivals? I don't think you do understand my argument? I'm pretty confused

I don't know what this has to do with feminism. I don't wish to go into feminism because i'm not sure of my own stance on feminism yet. I'm pretty neutral about that - take this up with a feminist if you wanna talk about that, i'm not one :smile:

I mean all of the other festivals e.g. gay pride/ black history are still happening. And a SWM festival has no affect on them.

No I'm saying that men face discrimination in america as a result of to the feminist movement. As well as white men being given the least amount of benefits from the state to get into higher education.
I'm just saying that they do face discrimination now. I was just explaining why in case you wanted to know.

Thats just another reason I think that SWM event is justified. (specifically in america)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wigwam5
I'm sure it was cleared up earlier that the reason for this is because we live in Britain not Africa?

Right. Yet, that doesn't change the fact that white history, whiteness in general is celebrated everyday. Which is the point.

Original post by Wigwam5
Also, i'm pretty sure that children throughout the UK learn about other countries historys because i sure did. Also i've seen many documentarys from the BBC about areas other than the UK, there are just more about the UK, cause again, we live in the UK.

It's not a compulsory part of our curriculum. From KS1 to KS3, I was only taught the history of Europe, and had black history once a month every year. By KS4, they scrapped Black History because it wasn't a compulsory part of the curriculum. But if we took up GCSE History, we may have had the opportunity to learn about American & Southern Asia History. But the point stands that the focus is Great Britain. The documentary argument is silly. I am talking about on going dramas that glamorize European History and make it entertaining. Not the odd documentary that is made once a year, that 9/10 exploits the more darker and controversial parts of ethnic culture, like "LadyBoys". That's not celebration.
Reply 255
Original post by ChickenMadness

I am American and you need to stop generalising based on something you Googled or heard or saw on your news cast. As you said we have far more issues here and there is no feminist "movement" anywhere. There are simply concessions to women's rights, as that is exercised in our Constitution. There are no movements, there are political gestures that succeed. And women are quite discriminated against they make less than men on the same job, or that they don't have fair maternity leave, for example; there is also a glass ceiling here that warms seats for wealthy older straight men; everyone else has a steep climb. So of course to exercise our civil rights there are going to be grants that women need should they qualify. There's nothing here that says "no men can get this." It's about qualifications and civil rights.
Original post by Truths

I learnt about Ancient Egypt in school, everybody was taugh about Egypt, same with Greece. We live in the UK, why are we going to learn about every other culture?? Do schools in Mozambique teach Japanesse history? Do schools in Colombia teach their student about the history of the Moors in North Africa?

Do I really even have to argue this point. Anyway, you still haven't told me why even if you do believe everyday is white history day which I don't mind yoy believing, that is bothers you that people want to celebrate something? :/

Also, learning and celebrating/displaying pride is different.

Readig the qu'ran, teaching people about Islam isn't celebrating Islam, this is actually a celebration not a textbook and a desk.
Original post by TurboCretin
Why is it not okay for people, privileged or otherwise, to celebrate who they are?

A typical aspect about you such as your race, gender, nationality, sexuality etc, isn't an achievement and does not warrant celebration. Things like Pride exist not to celebrate being LGBT, but to counter all the negativity that the LGBT community have gotten from society, and for many members, still continue to get. Same can be said for many ethnic minorities. If you are white you generally get a better treatment from society, and even more so if you aren't LGBT. It isn't about being proud of something you haven't achieved and can't be changed, but rather not being ashamed of something that is a part of who you are.
I don't see the problem with this. If it didn't exist those it's now for wouldn't know any different. I don't really see the point of gender/sexuality festivals but whatever, if people want this then why deny them? Just don't go, it's not like this is aspects of everyday life people are being banned from.
Original post by ApeMob
I am American and you need to stop generalising based on something you Googled or heard or saw on your news cast. As you said we have far more issues here and there is no feminist "movement" anywhere. There are simply concessions to women's rights, as that is exercised in our Constitution. There are no movements, there are political gestures that succeed. And women are quite discriminated against they make less than men on the same job, or that they don't have fair maternity leave, for example; there is also a glass ceiling here that warms seats for wealthy older straight men; everyone else has a steep climb. So of course to exercise our civil rights there are going to be grants that women need should they qualify. There's nothing here that says "no men can get this." It's about qualifications and civil rights.

Other Americans would disagree with you though. And I just disagree tbh. Theres so many campaigns just discriminating against men coming from feminist organisations. I get them coming up on my facebook newsfeed all the time as well because I have american friends forwarding them.

Original post by Snagprophet
I don't see the problem with this. If it didn't exist those it's now for wouldn't know any different. I don't really see the point of gender/sexuality festivals but whatever, if people want this then why deny them? Just don't go, it's not like this is aspects of everyday life people are being banned from.

ye exactly this is what I've been saying and so many people have a problem with it. No ones forcing you to go to a certain festival if you're not a part of that culture/group.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending