The Student Room Group

What do you make of this? Weird things happening...

Hi all, I would firstly like to say this isn't exactly an "everyday" issue, it is certainly something I have not experienced as such but... As I will explain later I should mention I have felt and heard somethings relevant to this post.

Basically my family live in an area of Wales called Llandaff village, a very old suburb of Cardiff with a famous cathedral and regular ghost walks etc... My family home is very isolated despite being in a village, was built in the 1700s and whenever I am alone in the house I feel no issues, however.. there have been times where I have had a genuine feeling of somebody watching me, once the feeling was so intense and I felt such poison or mind pollution I had to physically leave the house. My girlfriend has also commented she has often felt as if she is being watched.

So a bit of back story... The house is very old, the land has ancient connection with religion apparently and the new side of the house (post 1850) is built upon an old water source. One night a few weeks ago my family member was up late doing work for their job, when she went to turn all the lights off she heard an unmistakable sound of crying/wailing coming from the dining room with the door on a jar (below which is the old water well which we didn't know was there until the floor caved in and revealed a huge drop a few years ago) but she was so petrified given the house is very dark, old and creeky she ran straight upstairs and left the lights on but she is adamant she heard crying.

Now, the bit I find wierd is... the local area is known for an old Welsh legend; called Gwrach y Rhibyn or wraith.. legend has it this witch-like beast rises out of water (the well) and cries if something bad is soon to happen or will call out things such as "my child, my child" if a child is about to die. A few days later my family received extremely bad news, the timing of this is no co-incidence as the news was scheduled to come for some time but it seems strange my family member heard the cries of this alleged witch only days before the news arrived. What is even stranger is according to the legends this "thing" targets families which have lived in the same place for generations (mine have), resides near water (the source below), alerts to bad news (heard crying before news came).

I have never believed in ghosts, spirits, religion overly or anything but once in the house the same family member said "oh tell him (me) about the doors shaking", long story short my grandfather heard doors slamming in the house, once so violently he called for my brother to stop shaking the door only to realise he was home alone"... about 25 minutes after I was informed of the doors shaking, I was stood in the kitchen (above the water) and heard the unmistakable sound of a door slam in the house; furthermore the family member who witnessed the crying was stood next to me and when I heard the door slam her face was priceless... We both heard the door slam and I said "did you hear that?" to which she replied "oh my God". It was as clear as daylight and came from upstairs...

I know this all sounds like bull**** but considering everything.. do you think this is at all feasible? I heard a door slam, the only other person who heard that door slam also said she definitely heard a constant cry coming from one of the older, dark rooms and was so terrified she ran leaving all the lights on over night.

So yeah.. any explanations?

gwrach-y-rhibyn.jpg
Reply 1
Seeing as it is an old house, it could just be wind. It can sound like crying and definitely can slam/shake doors...
Reply 2
Original post by lamyers1
Seeing as it is an old house, it could just be wind. It can sound like crying and definitely can slam/shake doors...

Thanks for the reply, I know what you mean but a few years ago all the old fires were blocked up and we only put one gas one in! My family member said the crying was so bad, she was shaking with fear it was that clear :\!

I invite you to come over and see for yourself haha, it really is a scary place but now Ive found this local ghost connection... I genuinely think something sinister could be possessing the house - not to mention another, younger family member randomly said "that crucifix disgusts me" and then going about her business as if nothing had happened! that really creeped me out.
Reply 3
Original post by M1F2R3
Thanks for the reply, I know what you mean but a few years ago all the old fires were blocked up and we only put one gas one in! My family member said the crying was so bad, she was shaking with fear it was that clear :\!

I invite you to come over and see for yourself haha, it really is a scary place but now Ive found this local ghost connection... I genuinely think something sinister could be possessing the house - not to mention another, younger family member randomly said "that crucifix disgusts me" and then going about her business as if nothing had happened! that really creeped me out.

Personally, I don't believe in ghosts/paranormal activity/the devil or whatever so nothing will make me think that it's even a possibility.

A lot of the time, our eyes/ears can play tricks on us (i.e. the crucifix) if we want to believe something or have a feeling that bad things are around, like seeing shapes in the corner of your eye or 'person' shapes in the dark when it's actually something totally innocuous.
Reply 4
Original post by lamyers1
Personally, I don't believe in ghosts/paranormal activity/the devil or whatever so nothing will make me think that it's even a possibility.

A lot of the time, our eyes/ears can play tricks on us (i.e. the crucifix) if we want to believe something or have a feeling that bad things are around, like seeing shapes in the corner of your eye or 'person' shapes in the dark when it's actually something totally innocuous.

To be fair, I am (was?) the same, I think it is absurd for a person to linger after they have physically died but for two people to hear a door slam minutes after talking about doors slamming etc, it just makes me re-think momentarily.

It could well just be tricks, I hope it is I genuinely do because it isn't nice having elderly people frightened etc.

I just find it so strange that there is a local legend with many similar characteristics and even reports of a death many years ago. I think a lot of it may be due to things such as pressure (our family was under severe pressure during this time and as I said expected bad news arrived shortly after the sighting/hearing cries) so it could well be the stress playing on the mind perhaps.

All I know is, two of us heard a door slam and I am convinced it wasn't the wind as the house is quite sizable, I don't see how the wind could slam a heavy, old-fashioned door upstairs where the chimneys are blocked and windows are always closed (restricted by a metal bolt).

Thank you for your comforting words though lol!
Reply 5
Try sleeping with holy water in a spray bottle - mace but for ghosts :wink:
No you have it in your head that this is paranormal, you will naturally interpret the ambiguous in this light, and confirm your previous bias further. I think that can explain much of it, although I am general open minded about things like this.

Some family members of mine are adamant they have had paranormal experiences and haunting; not the numerous, weak instances you have described, but literally seeing historical, ghostly figures in the old hospital building they work in, and actually have been attacked by them and held down, had the doors lock on them etc.

My father has told me some very creepy stories, such as his wife's Dad walking past her on the stairs when she was the only one in the house, and her father was flying over to another country at the time; an African colleague of his told him that when she was in African these people called the "Water People" come to come round peoples houses to cast charms and what not on the house to get rid of rats, but there was a rule where if you look at them while you do it, bad luck is bring on your family for years to come, so you have to stand in a circle that they've chalked off and close your eyes. But she looked, and saw a demonic face stare at her, and afterward in the subsequent years her family was brought into ruin.

On the other hand, there is a lot of science going on at the minute where they manipulate electro receptors (or whatever) in your brain and you often see paranormal, or religious experiences can sometimes be witnessed. The amount varies between people. So perhaps that, and confirmation bias, can explain such events.
Vampires
I believe in the paranormal etc, and now I've terrified myself reading this :lol: sounds horrible :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are basically screwed, OP.

Reply 10
Original post by KingStannis
No you have it in your head that this is paranormal, you will naturally interpret the ambiguous in this light, and confirm your previous bias further. I think that can explain much of it, although I am general open minded about things like this.

Some family members of mine are adamant they have had paranormal experiences and haunting; not the numerous, weak instances you have described, but literally seeing historical, ghostly figures in the old hospital building they work in, and actually have been attacked by them and held down, had the doors lock on them etc.

My father has told me some very creepy stories, such as his wife's Dad walking past her on the stairs when she was the only one in the house, and her father was flying over to another country at the time; an African colleague of his told him that when she was in African these people called the "Water People" come to come round peoples houses to cast charms and what not on the house to get rid of rats, but there was a rule where if you look at them while you do it, bad luck is bring on your family for years to come, so you have to stand in a circle that they've chalked off and close your eyes. But she looked, and saw a demonic face stare at her, and afterward in the subsequent years her family was brought into ruin.

On the other hand, there is a lot of science going on at the minute where they manipulate electro receptors (or whatever) in your brain and you often see paranormal, or religious experiences can sometimes be witnessed. The amount varies between people. So perhaps that, and confirmation bias, can explain such events.

Initially I was skeptical of all the things my family were saying until I clearly heard doors slam. It is worth mentioning a young family member also died in the house not so long ago too. I don't believe in the "paranormal", well... I didn't used to but I heard a door slam and it could not be a neighbour or a car in the street because there are none as the house is very far back from the road! For two people to simultaneously hear a door slamming inside the house when all of the occupants are in one room (the kitchen downstairs) is strange to me and I won't forget it but it definitely happened and I cannot use logic to explain why.

In terms of seeing things, I should mention another person was doing her make up in the mirror (adjacent to the kitchen is the old lounge) and she turned around and for a split second saw the person who died in the house a few years ago sitting reading the paper; she said he was gone in the blink of an eye but this could be, as suggested, mind tricks.

I pose an invitation to all of you to come and witness it for yourselves lol! I have a feeling of genuine evil in the house as a few horrid people have lived there previously and it is a feeling like I have never felt in any other house. I do hope it is nothing but... it certainly made me think twice regarding the "what if" aspect of paranormal activities.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending