The Student Room Group

Being sexually hit on by either Straight man or Gay man, what is reasonable defence?

obviously there is a lot of precedent of women getting unwanted attention form men, be they drunk or sober or whatever. and if the women feels threatened or at risk of sexual assault of any kind, the law allows some reasonable force to be used

what is the case in terms of gay men - and what is deemed 'reasonable' to defend form unwanted advances or even unwanted touching or assault?

if you think about it there is more scope for this to occur as for example there are no segregated gyms and showers etc as there for men and women. so if you were being harrassed by a gay man or men in the changing room - what would be allowed to defend?

only serious answers please

Scroll to see replies

"I'm not gay" would generally suffice, unless they're attempting to rape you.
I don't know what the actual law is but if you were being sexually harassed then I think you should start with a verbal warning, and if that doesn't work punch them in the face.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
obviously there is a lot of precedent of women getting unwanted attention form men, be they drunk or sober or whatever. and if the women feels threatened or at risk of sexual assault of any kind, the law allows some reasonable force to be used

what is the case in terms of gay men - and what is deemed 'reasonable' to defend form unwanted advances or even unwanted touching or assault?

if you think about it there is more scope for this to occur as for example there are no segregated gyms and showers etc as there for men and women. so if you were being harrassed by a gay man or men in the changing room - what would be allowed to defend?

"No"
"I'm not gay"
"Leave me alone"
Anything really.

If they become physically aggressive or threatening, then you can use 'reasonable force'. You can't just punch someone for asking for your number or telling you how sexually attracted they are to you.
Reply 4
Pepper spray?
Original post by lamyers1
"No"
"I'm not gay"
"Leave me alone"
Anything really.

If they become physically aggressive or threatening, then you can use 'reasonable force'. You can't just punch someone for asking for your number or telling you how sexually attracted they are to you.

This.

Original post by Enoxial
Pepper spray?

Not this.

You sound incredibly insecure.
Reply 6
Original post by Abdul-Karim
"I'm not gay" would generally suffice, unless they're attempting to rape you.

what if they dont really care, and havent had sexual relief for over 3 weeks. you would seem quite appetising to them
Reply 7
Original post by Enoxial
Pepper spray?

i think pepper spray may be illegal in england
Reply 8
Original post by Enoxial
Pepper spray?

Pepper spray/Mace is illegal in the UK.
This has happened to me a couple of times.

I've been to plenty of gay bars as a straight man and all you need to say is 'I'm straight'.
Original post by Mad Vlad
This.

Not this.

You sound incredibly insecure.

perhaps, but i ask the question to clear up the situation
Original post by lamyers1
Pepper spray/Mace is illegal in the UK.

It is.

The closest thing you can buy is a sort of blue foam designed to obscure your attackers eyes.

CS gas is the same as a firearms offence.
It's nothing to do with being come on to. If the come-on is rejected and then gets physical, it is the physical contact which justifies a punch in the face (if the other man is strong enough to be a valid fighting partner).

That is the same rules as for any aggressive physical contact, the sexual component is irrelevant.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Scumbaggio

I've been to plenty of gay bars as a straight man and all you need to say is 'I'm straight'.
i think if you go to a gay be its almost likely you will be approached or handled.

but if you are in a normal gym in the showers and not expecting it

i think if you go to a gay bar be its almost obvious you would be approached or handled.

i think if you go to a gay be its almost likely you will be approached or handled.

I've never been 'handled', certainly not in a way I felt threatened.

If someone tried to molest me then I'd probably become violent but this has never happened to me in all my years.

Indeed. I don't understand why a lot of straight men don't take it actually as a compliment that someone finds them attractive. :erm:
Reply 17
4 out of my 5 experiences 'I'm straight' was fine and worked. Sometimes we kept talking, other times they disappeared onto the next one. One guy I was having a chat with just grabbed my penis in my trousers, he got a stern shove, some choice words and never came back.

P.S I've never been to a gay bar, I must just look the type or something!?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Wouldn't you would just say your not gay? I would say however, If a gay guy walked up behind me in a club and started feeling me up they'd get a punch or be pushed away. Im pretty sure it's just like a woman being felt up, i've seen girls react in a similar fashion. They have no right to invade your personal space, just like men don't with women.
Bite him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending