The Student Room Group

Who has started a-levels/uni at 17/19?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Daily Crisis
I achieved an overall distinction :smile: my gcses are English C (remark), maths d (retaken hopefully and probably c :biggrin:), Btec applied science pass, music Btec merit and 3 other silly Btec subjects. Reason why I didn't do much is because I ****ed around at school :smile:

And now youre doing A-Levels? what subject?
People won't know unless you tell them. I know plenty of people who started university aged 20+ and fitted in just fine.
Original post by elmosandy
And now youre doing A-Levels? what subject?

I'm doing law, psychology and English language a level :smile:
Original post by cah846
I'm 19 and I've never been drunk, can you imagine how much of a weirdo people think I am?! XD if you join clubs and societies you'll find people of different ages and similar interests and you should have no problem making friends :smile:

But yeah my friends are reckless like that and I often feel uncomfortable or left out...

You're not weird youre just mature and sensible :smile:
Reply 24
I'm doing law, psychology and English language a level :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 25
Original post by Manitude
People won't know unless you tell them. I know plenty of people who started university aged 20+ and fitted in just fine.

I think people will know with me, I dont think I can lie ahaha
Reply 26
Original post by Gunni098
You're not weird youre just mature and sensible :smile:

I argee:3
Reply 27
I went to sixth form at 17 to do A-levels after doing hairdressing for a year at college and hating it. I made friends so easily and got on better with teachers with being older, I'm 18 and starting A2 in September :smile:

Just seen above and there are people who were in my class that were like how come you're 18? I thought you were in our year haha :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by iJess
I went to sixth form at 17 to do A-levels after doing hairdressing for a year at college and hating it. I made friends so easily and got on better with teachers with being older, I'm 18 and starting A2 in September :smile:

Just seen above and there are people who were in my class that were like how come you're 18? I thought you were in our year haha :tongue:

Aw makes me feel better:3
Reply 29
Aw makes me feel better:3

No worries :biggrin: Also there will be people in year 12 with you who are the same age resitting the year
I did and it honestly made no difference. I didn't feel they were younger, and most people never knew I was older because it didnt come up!
And then when you start uni, a huge percentage of people will have taken gap years and be 19+ anyway! There were only four 18 year olds out of 11 in my flat.
Reply 31
Original post by lucykinzz
I did and it honestly made no difference. I didn't feel they were younger, and most people never knew I was older because it didnt come up!
And then when you start uni, a huge percentage of people will have taken gap years and be 19+ anyway! There were only four 18 year olds out of 11 in my flat.

Ah yeah thanks, if Im lucky enough ill get to do the 3 A-levels next year with no as is that right?
Reply 32
I moved to a different college after my AS year to change subjects. I was worried at first but there were a few people doing the same so it's not too bad!

It felt a bit weird cause I turned 18 in October and some of them didn't turn 17 until June/July, but I don't really notice that I'm older than the people in my year.

I still hang out with friends from school and my old college who are the same age as me and they're all heading off to uni this September which makes me just wanna finish A2 already but I suppose it's all worthwhile in the long run.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think people will know with me, I dont think I can lie ahaha

I very much doubt that a single year will mark you out as being any different. Within the 18-19 age bracket are a lot people who have all developed different levels of maturity. I'm one of the youngest people in most of my friendship groups, but generally considered the most mature (while sober), for example.

You'll be fine - honestly - don't worry about it!
Reply 34
Original post by Manitude
I very much doubt that a single year will mark you out as being any different. Within the 18-19 age bracket are a lot people who have all developed different levels of maturity. I'm one of the youngest people in most of my friendship groups, but generally considered the most mature (while sober), for example.

You'll be fine - honestly - don't worry about it!

Thats cool!
Reply 35
Original post by grx_
I moved to a different college after my AS year to change subjects. I was worried at first but there were a few people doing the same so it's not too bad!

It felt a bit weird cause I turned 18 in October and some of them didn't turn 17 until June/July, but I don't really notice that I'm older than the people in my year.

I still hang out with friends from school and my old college who are the same age as me and they're all heading off to uni this September which makes me just wanna finish A2 already but I suppose it's all worthwhile in the long run.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah this makes me feel better now, ty :smile: X
Reply 36
A lot of the time there will be students older than me and you in a class! (I think)

In my BTEC Level 2 in IT there was 17, 18 year olds and a 21 year old. Just go with the flow really and you'll make friends. If you're nice that is, which I'm sure you are :wink:

Did you make any friends on this IT course or not?

Quick Reply

Latest