The Student Room Group

Worst advice you have ever received?

Scroll to see replies

"Pull this"

I'm making this up noone ever said that to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
'Be yourself'

What if myself is stupid, arrogant, skinny etc surely it's better I become intelligent, humble and musclely. Surely I would be much happier if I followed this advice instead.

And what the hell is a self, I subscribe to the bundle theory and the Sartre notion of 'existence preceeding essence' I can define myself however I want and in terms of natural selection, it's better I be intelligent, humble and have muscle.

Guess what, people that be themselves get owned by natural selection because they fail to adapt.
(edited 9 years ago)
"Better to play it safe".
Original post by Wattsy
'Just punch him in the mouth' - Dad, to the year 3, 4 and a half stone iteration of myself with regard to a kid that was picking on me. Never did do it, he reckoned it would have solved the problem, I reckon I'd have got battered by him and his army of friends, my 2 mates weren't too handy in fisticuffs.

Actually, if you'd have hit as hard as you could, you'd have probably stunned the boy so much his mates wouldn't want to risk a fist sandwich too :P
them: get over it
me: trust me im trying
them: try harder
"don't worry, you'll meet your special someone one day"..
"Just stop thinking about it" - Well, two months have passed since I was told that and I'm still thinking about it :teehee::facepalm:
Original post by XMaramena
Actually, if you'd have hit as hard as you could, you'd have probably stunned the boy so much his mates wouldn't want to risk a fist sandwich too :P

This is basically what my Dad said, Hit him so hard nobody ever bothers again. My Mum was a dinnerlady though, it was much easier just to go tell her and watch him get into vast amounts of trouble for some triviality like calling me a prick. He stopped after about 3 tellings off from the head dinnerlady woman, she was an absolute battleaxe!
"You don't have to answer to anyone, be yourself"

Before an interview. Sometimes in the interest of bettering yourself or your career, yes, you do need to just suck it up, keep your mouth shut and do what needs doing to progress.
Original post by Wattsy
This is basically what my Dad said, Hit him so hard nobody ever bothers again. My Mum was a dinnerlady though, it was much easier just to go tell her and watch him get into vast amounts of trouble for some triviality like calling me a prick. He stopped after about 3 tellings off from the head dinnerlady woman, she was an absolute battleaxe!

lol "I'M TELLING!!!"

Nowadays though, that's what I teach self defence students if they're attacked by a gang - don't be afraid to go straight in and snap an arm or gouge out an eye - strong first response will put everybody else off messing with you, and nobody can fight 5 guys at once.
"I wouldn't worry about that lump, it's probably nothing."
Original post by bumblebee342
"Just stop thinking about it" - Well, two months have passed since I was told that and I'm still thinking about it :teehee::facepalm:

Well obviously, you've been programmed to think about it.

Instead of trying to stop thinking about it, try forgetting it. :P
lol "I'M TELLING!!!"

Nowadays though, that's what I teach self defence students if they're attacked by a gang - don't be afraid to go straight in and snap an arm or gouge out an eye - strong first response will put everybody else off messing with you, and nobody can fight 5 guys at once.

It's the easy and proper channel to go down!

That's what I always say to guys who are trying to start on me or my mates. 'There's 11 of us mate, there's 2 of you, are you going to fight us all?!' They never do.

Now, as a more confident version of myself I probably would have just sparked the kid, I'm still not very big, I'd just back myself to make them miss if they start coming back and most people are shocked by the first hit, unless they're ready to go it's going to come as a surprise even if it's only a relative tickle.
One of my primary schools teachers once said -"You should always do everything authority tells you". I thought it was stupid advice when I was 8 and I still think it's stupid advice. Dangerous mindset to instil in young kids.
Well obviously, you've been programmed to think about it.

Instead of trying to stop thinking about it, try forgetting it. :P

Oh I'm trying :tongue:

I just think telling someone to "stop thinking about" something that's bothering them is silly, it's a bit easier said than done :lol:
Original post by Greenlaner
One of my primary schools teachers once said -"You should always do everything authority tells you". I thought it was stupid advice when I was 8 and I still think it's stupid advice. Dangerous mindset to instil in young kids.

Maybe they were a fascist lol.
my advice against bad advice: never listen to girls when they are giving you "dating advice"...
Have a tactical w**k just before sex

Posted from TSR Mobile
"I don't think you're ready for this."
Don't worry about the waistline! It has no effect on your talent or intelligence! :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest