The Student Room Group

'Straight white guy festival' causes controversy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ApeMob
I am American and you need to stop generalising based on something you Googled or heard or saw on your news cast. As you said we have far more issues here and there is no feminist "movement" anywhere. There are simply concessions to women's rights, as that is exercised in our Constitution. There are no movements, there are political gestures that succeed. And women are quite discriminated against they make less than men on the same job, or that they don't have fair maternity leave, for example; there is also a glass ceiling here that warms seats for wealthy older straight men; everyone else has a steep climb. So of course to exercise our civil rights there are going to be grants that women need should they qualify. There's nothing here that says "no men can get this." It's about qualifications and civil rights.

Most of this discrimination nonsense cannot even be proved, it's largely just theorys and hysteria to suit certain agendas and policys. When people want a certain policy the best way to get it seems to be crying unfairness.

Women are not being discriminated against, prove it. I'm sure some are, but not to the extent you fabricate or create the illusion.

In my experience, attractive women are highly sought after by male employers and hired, they're the first choice. When I was at Uni, priority was given to female students for accomodation, especially if they were hot.

Attractive women get the biggest breaks out of everyone.
Reply 261
Original post by Truths
It's not a compulsory part of our curriculum. From KS1 to KS3, I was only taught the history of Europe, and had black history once a month every year. By KS4, they scrapped Black History because it wasn't a compulsory part of the curriculum. But if we took up GCSE History, we may have had the opportunity to learn about American & Southern Asia History. But the point stands that the focus is Great Britain.

I personally learned about many different cultures and historys during my time in school. I guess however it could vary from school to school. But the same point still stands about the focus being on the UK as we live in the UK. I highly doubt that kids across the world in China have to learn about UK history as a compulsary part of their education.
Original post by Lucy_Noble
A typical aspect about you such as your race, gender, nationality, sexuality etc, isn't an achievement and does not warrant celebration. Things like Pride exist not to celebrate being LGBT, but to counter all the negativity that the LGBT community have gotten from society, and for many members, still continue to get. Same can be said for many ethnic minorities. If you are white you generally get a better treatment from society, and even more so if you aren't LGBT. It isn't about being proud of something you haven't achieved and can't be changed, but rather not being ashamed of something that is a part of who you are.

By that logic, we shouldn't celebrate birthdays.

I don't see the issue with people celebrating their identity if they wish to. The reason for the existence of Pride specifically is kind of irrelevant.
Reply 263
Original post by ChickenMadness
Other Americans would disagree with you though. And I just disagree tbh. Theres so many campaigns just discriminating against men coming from feminist organisations. I get them coming up on my facebook newsfeed all the time as well because I have american friends forwarding them.

ye exactly this is what I've been saying and so many people have a problem with it.

:nothing: You need to learn the definition of discrimination. And it is feminist organizations, not the country. White straight men dominate, otherwise, why else would there need to be women rights movements -,- And your little americans on the internet are the far from few credible voices. How would you like if someone just said all of UK is based on a random poster on TSR.
I swear this thread is a breeding ground for stupidity and racism both ways. I literally spent the last 15 minutes reading through this and I honestly cannot believe a Chinese person does not understand Chinese New Year and is trying to make it out to be similar to gay pride? The stupidity is overwhelming.

Anyways, back to the OP.
Sure, white straight males can celebrate their lack of discrimination (that is in comparison to most other groups) if they want, but I don't see why they feel the need to. Prides are supposed to be about opposing negative discrimination (which is why gay pride and black pride are a thing), not celebrating your privilege. It just seems slightly boastful- almost as if you're rubbing the fact that you are literally never discriminated against (excluding Tumblr which everybody knows is full of stupid little girls) in people's faces. It also negates the importance of other prides which are actually necessary. Just my two pence.
Reply 265
Original post by CryptoidAlien
Most of this discrimination nonsense cannot even be proved, it's largely just theorys and hysteria to suit certain agendas and policys. When people want a certain policy the best way to get it seems to be crying unfairness.

Women are not being discriminated against, prove it. I'm sure some are, but not to the extent you fabricate or create the illusion.

In my experience, attractive women are highly sought after by male employers and hired, they're the first choice. When I was at Uni, priority was given to female students for accomodation, especially if they were hot.

Attractive women get the biggest breaks out of everyone.

In the very post you quoted I literally said

women get paid less than men in the same job
women are the highest on welfare
single moms are the highest living in poverty
no or scarce coverage while on maternity leave
the list goes on.

As you are not from US how can you say something is being fabricated when I'm sure you don't know anything about it.
Original post by TurboCretin

I don't see the issue with people celebrating their identity if they wish to. The reason for the existence of Pride specifically is kind of irrelevant.

Not necessarily, birthdays are a celebration of life and progression, the latter being an achievement. Your skin colour isn't really an achievement.

That's right, we shouldn't. They're stupid and kind of pointless. Why on earth would you celebrate gaining an extra day on one specific day of the year?
Reply 268
And the attractive woman thing is ridiculous and misogynistic; women get breaks based on their records, they are pieces of paper in an office, the only photo the bureaucrats can see while passing out welfare and "breaks" is their state ID which looks like a mug shot. So what is this about attraction? That's not how anything works.
Not necessarily, birthdays are a celebration of life and progression, the latter being an achievement. Your skin colour isn't really an achievement.

Staying alive is an achievement?

As far as I'm aware, people tend to celebrate birthdays regardless of what they may or may not have achieved in the year, and independently of whether survival is considered difficult where they live.
I am done here. This has gotten way out of hand and I can't be bothered to argue ...
Of course, with freedom of speech and expression, this should be allowed. BUT a lot of people keep missing the point that the whole reason for things like Black history month, LGBT pride etc is to help dispel negativity and discrimination that puts these groups at a disadvantage. Be honest with yourselves are white straight males regularly being disadvantaged because of their skin colour and sexual orientation? I think not, definitely not on the scale as ethnic minorities and LGBT are. Being a colour is NOT something that should be celebrated in itself as it is not an achievement, you are born that way , the same as gender and sexual orientation.
Staying alive is an achievement?

As far as I'm aware, people tend to celebrate birthdays regardless of what they may or may not have achieved in the year, and independently of whether survival is considered difficult where they live.

Well its a small one, but the status of being alive can change, whereas race/sexuality/being cis or trans can't, you also have influence over that change, so I guess its more of an achievement than being white/straight/cis male.

I also think that the idea of birthdays came about when dying was much more commonplace though *shrug*
If you feel like you are being made to feel ashamed because of your race/cultural identity then I can't convince you otherwise, but you have to recognise that legally LGBT/ethnic minorities have been prosecuted against on such a scale that the 'British' you speak of never have and probably never will.

So it's a sympathy contest is it? I also believe you'd only recognize unfairness if it's aimed at a minority group, theres a difference when you only see racism in one fashion, the popularized fashion, rather than a total viewpoint. So noboy can trust what you say. No difference to somebody saying they're against favouritism but can only see it if that favouritism works against one individual, themselves. So people like you can't be trusted on that one because of your consistent double standards, your point was utterly relevant and justifys my point in the middle of this response.

Nobody has made minorities feel ashamed of themselves, nobody.
Original post by ApeMob
I am American and you need to stop generalising based on something you Googled or heard or saw on your news cast. As you said we have far more issues here and there is no feminist "movement" anywhere. There are simply concessions to women's rights, as that is exercised in our Constitution. There are no movements, there are political gestures that succeed. And women are quite discriminated against they make less than men on the same job, or that they don't have fair maternity leave, for example; there is also a glass ceiling here that warms seats for wealthy older straight men; everyone else has a steep climb. So of course to exercise our civil rights there are going to be grants that women need should they qualify. There's nothing here that says "no men can get this." It's about qualifications and civil rights.

That is an outright lie.
Reply 275
Original post by TheAnusFiles
That is an outright lie.

In the US no it is not. Jog on.
I read that as straight white guy fetish haha
Original post by ApeMob
:nothing: You need to learn the definition of discrimination. And it is feminist organizations, not the country. White straight men dominate, otherwise, why else would there need to be women rights movements -,- And your little americans on the internet are the far from few credible voices. How would you like if someone just said all of UK is based on a random poster on TSR.

I don't want to get into a big debate about it.

But basically every campaign they take issues that affect both men and women but they portray it as though it only happens to women and that the men are the perpertrators in each case. Feminist organisations are always trying to twist statistics to make it look as though men don't face any problems while women do. When in reality men are either affected equally or more by the issues they are trying to portray as female only. They do also have a lot of political power in the country and have been able to block a lot of attempts at changing laws that discriminate against men. (can't remember which organisation it is that has been doing that atm though).

Heres some examples of the propaganda they use though.

'When did he stop treating you like a princess?'

stuff like that. It's raising awareness of domestic abuse but it ignores that men can be victims as well. It's like that in every campaign for domestic abuse.

http://www.theviolencestopshere.ca/dbtg.php
"Don't be that guy"

Stuff like that. They never release any gender neutral campaigns that focus on helping men AND women. It's always women being the victim and men being the problem. When in reality both men and women can fall victim to these crimes.
Also the pay gap myth has been debunked by a lot of other studies.

I do have A LOT of american friends you know from different parts of the country. I've visited america as well and travelled around with them. just fyi. And I follow the whole feminist movement and anti feminist movements and have done quite a lot of research on them as well as the history because I find it interesting. So my opinion isn't based on just what a couple of my friends have said lol.

But this is getting off the subject of the thread now tbh.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 278
Original post by gazebi
I am done here. This has gotten way out of hand and I can't be bothered to argue ...

I'm right on ya tail babes lol
I learnt about Ancient Egypt in school, everybody was taugh about Egypt, same with Greece.

You and I both were taught briefly about Egypt & Greece but as I have already pointed out, it's an insignificant part of the curriculum.

We live in the UK, why are we going to learn about every other culture?? Do schools in Mozambique teach Japanesse history? Do schools in Colombia teach their student about the history of the Moors in North Africa?

Ok and I don't disagree. And?

Also, learning and celebrating/displaying pride is different.

Readig the qu'ran, teaching people about Islam isn't celebrating Islam, this is actually a celebration not a textbook and a desk.

Our history curriculim is more of an example of "white history month being everyday", rather than white pride. So you have kinda missed the point. White pride is everyday, because white people and whiteness are celebrated in a variety of ways everyday. If you google image beauty, you will see white people mostly. If you see a black person in this search result, they will probably be lightskinned with a weave or they will have stereotypical European facial features because blackness isn't celebrated in the West. Kiss, Capital, Choice & BBC xtra were historically created to celebrate black/urban artists, and now they mostly cater to white artists. Police harass the young black youth, the oppression, the shaming and the degradation is a cause for the need of Pride. But the funniest part is, we don't even have black pride festivals in the UK, so why are you feeling so entitled?

that is bothers you that people want to celebrate something? :/

To put it simply. Pride Festivals are for the oppressed, marginalized or unsung minority groups. If you don't get it now, you never will.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending