The Student Room Group

Men would you give mouth to mouth to another man

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imaginewizard
As the guy said above, it is part of First Aid. My instructor pretty much told me that the Vinnie Jones advert was *******s and the only reason they did it is pretty much what bertstare said (and also perhaps would what other people were saying about people not trained giving it incorrectly).

Thing is, you start giving compressions first in an adult, because they have enough oxygen in their body already before you'd give mouth-to-mouth.

Then I stand corrected. How am I supposed to know? The only exposure I have to it is the advert above.
Original post by Aph
Surely mouth to mouth is just likely to kill them as you're filling their lungs with CO2??
but no I wouldn't

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exhaled air is about 3% CO2 and 15% oxygen, so still breathable, plus the increased CO2 will help kick start breathing as the respiratory system reflexes to get rid of the excess CO2.
Original post by hellodave5
I thought you're meant to?
If its possibly an infectious disease then no... but what about someone that's not breathing who just had a heart attack, or got hit by something?

You only kiss your missus on the lips! CPR Video

Vinnie Jones's brilliant CPR video from the BHF- I think the idea of hands only CPR is to stop people getting scared about the whole mouth-to-mouth routine. Pathetic really!

On the other hand you get people who don't use AEDs properly because they don't want to remove a woman's bra during the shocks - talk about being embarrassed to death
Only if they were proper fit. I'd slip a finger in too :drool:
[video="youtube;NAj26rVWK14"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAj26rVWK14[/video]

The answer is yes.
Reply 65
I guess... though I'd demand payment after.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ana81
I guess... though I'd demand payment after.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Almost as if you were a male prostitute?:pierre:
Reply 67
I'm not having 'I could have saved someone's life but I chose not to because I don't enjoy kissing men' on my conscience.
if it was fairly certain that I, specifically, would be rewarded for it
(not like that! I like the women)
Reply 69
Original post by The_Mediocre_One
Almost as if you were a male prostitute?:pierre:

so at least I'm making money not sat on the doll. I'd be my own boss to and its tax free and an industry that will never go under.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ana81
so at least I'm making money not sat on the doll. I'd be my own boss to and its tax free and an industry that will never go under.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True you won't be sat on the doll but riding cock.
Not really tax free given its illegal.
Nice to see you have a solid grip on demand and supply theory.
Original post by zippity.doodah
if it was fairly certain that I, specifically, would be rewarded for it
(not like that! I like the women)

Why do you feel like you deserve some reward?
Why do you feel like you deserve some reward?

for kissing a male stranger, of course
if I did it and they just walked away I'd be extremely disappointed
and don't tell me that's weird - I don't have to basically kiss a man; I have nothing to do with them or their circumstances
for kissing a male stranger, of course
if I did it and they just walked away I'd be extremely disappointed
and don't tell me that's weird - I don't have to basically kiss a man; I have nothing to do with them or their circumstances

You're a Knob!
You're a Knob!

whatever, it's my life
whatever, it's my life

Typical teenage mentality. Lucky for you most of us have been there and the majority grow out of it! I bet you think you know what the real world is like aswell!
Original post by Dez
I wouldn't without a mouth guard, on either a man or a woman (or a child or whatever). First rule of first aid is to not endanger yourself.

CPR doesn't include mouth-to-mouth these days anyway, you shouldn't perform it unless you're a paramedic who knows what they're doing (and presumably if everything else in the ambulance is broken).

Really? I've not heard that before.

The British Heart Foundation ran a set of adverts on hands-only CPR, because for those who don't know full CPR it has a higher success rate. Additionally, people who haven't been trained in CPR are more likely to try it if it's hands-only, which can only help survival rates for cardiac arrests.

However, of those who do know CPR, full CPR including rescue breaths has a higher success rate. BHF describe it as the 'gold standard' even.

Risk to yourself - infections. I carry a keyring mouthguard with me. That said, a carrier bag with a hole cut out is a quick and simple alternative. Saliva also doesn't pose the highest risk of infection by any means, so the odds of finding somebody with a serious saliva-borne disease, getting some saliva contact, and that saliva contact being enough for you to contract the disease is very slim.

Risk to the casualty - ribs. Alright, there's a chance you're going to break/bruise some ribs if you have to do it for long, but frankly what's worse - a broken rib or death? There's no compelling evidence that cases of suing due to unwanted CPR or its side effects are being brought to court, nor succeeding. David Cameron put into the Queen's Speech a proposal for a 'Good Samaritan law', which would mean that people can't be sued if they in provably good faith try to help somebody who is in danger/requires emergency assistance, even if they get something wrong. It's one of the few things I'd agree with Cameron on tbh.

To the OP, yes, I would and have carried out CPR on people regardless of sex/gender.
Typical teenage mentality. Lucky for you most of us have been there and the majority grow out of it! I bet you think you know what the real world is like aswell!

I'm 20. don't be giving me the whole "I disagree with you, therefore you are going through a phase and obviously I must be correct" bull****. cheers.
I'm 20. don't be giving me the whole "I disagree with you, therefore you are going through a phase and obviously I must be correct" bull****. cheers.

Listen mate, You don't want to save someones life for the sake of saving someones life and would need to be compensated for your efforts! Hardly a case of me trying to act high and mighty or even considering this a normal argument to have.

Oh **** you are 20! LOL you're so mature and definitely not going through a phase because every 20 year old is so clued up.
(edited 9 years ago)
Listen mate, You don't want to save someones life for the sake of saving someones life and would need to be compensated for your efforts! Hardly a case of me trying to act high and mighty or even considering this a normal argument to have.

Oh **** you are 20! LOL your so mature and definitely not going through a phase because every 20 year old is so clued up.

oh okay, we might as well never pay any doctors and surgeons any more.
and already I can tell you're probably younger than me, no doubt

Quick Reply

Latest