The Student Room Group

Jobcentre making me go on Daily Signing. Can I do anything to prevent it?

Hi.

I feel like I'm being discriminated against because I'm going to University this September.

I've been signing onto Jobseekers Allowence for 4/5 months and I was on the usual fortnightly signing. Last week I mentioned to my advisor I have accepted an Unconditional Offer for University starting this September and he was a bit funny about it and now he's put me on Daily Signing.

I don't really understand why he's done this, I would only be signing on for another 5 weeks or so. I just feel like because I'm going to University he's discriminating me and making me go to the Jobcentre daily which is going to cost me a fortune for travel which is (2 busses there and back per day) and they won't even give me travel expenses.

So my £50 a week for living on will plummet to £30 after travel. It just doesn't seem fair or right at all.

Is there anything I can do about this? Can I request to go back onto fortnightly signing or maybe file a complaint that I feel I'm being discriminated against?

I can't sign off because every penny I'm getting from Jobseekers at the moment is being saved for University, but now of course I'll have £20 less a week thanks to being forced there daily.

I was planning on using this 5 weeks to prepare for University and sorting out my Student Finance & Accommodation and then was going to begin reading up on some of the previous years coursework and books to try and get a bit of knowledge before starting the Course.

Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
See a Supervisor there or call the DWP. You'll have the number on your correspondence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Get a job...?

Thatd be the obvious answer to the dilemma.
I don't see why you're even allowed to claim it anyway. It's designed to be used to tie you over until you get a job. You're not getting a job. All you're doing is putting it away for university.

The reason he's doing this is because he's trying to find a way to sanction you. They're often told to sanction people. And I hope they do. These benefits were not designed for people like you. He got all funny with you because he was probably resisting the urge to tell you to stop gaming the system.
Reply 4
I did the same a few years ago but the woman was rude and patronising. I'm not a scrotty chav like most she deals with no doubt. We argued and in the end I honestly didn't see going to see her every fortnight for an argument plus time as a good trade for only fifty quid so I signed off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Jebedee
I did the same a few years ago but the woman was rude and patronising. I'm not a scrotty chav like most she deals with no doubt. We argued and in the end I honestly didn't see going to see her every fortnight for an argument plus time as a good trade for only fifty quid so I signed off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes because you only sign on if you're a chav *rolls eyes*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Genocidal
I don't see why you're even allowed to claim it anyway. It's designed to be used to tie you over until you get a job. You're not getting a job. All you're doing is putting it away for university.

The reason he's doing this is because he's trying to find a way to sanction you. They're often told to sanction people. And I hope they do. These benefits were not designed for people like you. He got all funny with you because he was probably resisting the urge to tell you to stop gaming the system.

This...this all over.
Original post by Quady
Get a job...?

Thatd be the obvious answer to the dilemma.

Not that easy
I didn't even think you're allowed to sign on if you've got a university place lined up in a couple of weeks time. You're obviously not looking for a job so you're lucky you haven't had your allowance stopped altogether tbh.
Reply 9
You're not even using the money to live off, you're saving it for university? That is a bit of a piss take to be fair.
Original post by Ana81
Yes because you only sign on if you're a chav *rolls eyes*

Posted from TSR Mobile

You deny that most claimants in my hometown would be chavs? Tell me more of what you know of the area, please.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by orange crush
Not that easy

How come?
Unemployment is 6.6%. How come you arent good enough to be in the 93.4%?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Quady
How come?
Unemployment is 6.6%. How come you arent good enough to be in the 94.4%?

Dat 1% tho!
I thought you couldn't claim JSA if you are at uni. You got maintenance loans and all that jaz right?
You're diddling them.

I hope you get sanctioned further, you're taking the piss out of working people who pay for that money and are giving a bad name to those genuinely looking for work.
Reply 15
Is all the hasle of a daily signing worth a measly £150? Do yourself a favour and sign off.
Original post by Quady
How come?

I am employed.

But it took me 9 months to get my job so I know it isn't that easy. There are more unemployed people than job vacancies.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I thought you couldn't claim JSA if you are at uni. You got maintenance loans and all that jaz right?

You can't claim it between years at uni, but technically there are ways of claiming it between leaving school and your first year at uni.
Original post by Quady
How come?

That's not the youth unemployment rate, is it?
Original post by Anonn123
Last week I mentioned to my advisor I have accepted an Unconditional Offer for University starting this September and he was a bit funny about it and now he's put me on Daily Signing.

I don't really understand why he's done this.

Is there anything I can do about this? Can I request to go back onto fortnightly signing or maybe file a complaint that I feel I'm being discriminated against?

I can't sign off because every penny I'm getting from Jobseekers at the moment is being saved for University, but now of course I'll have £20 less a week thanks to being forced there daily.

I was planning on using this 5 weeks to prepare for University and sorting out my Student Finance & Accommodation and then was going to begin reading up on some of the previous years coursework and books to try and get a bit of knowledge before starting the Course.

Any advice?

You're not using the money for what it's supposed to be used for, you're saving for uni which isn't it's use.

Uni is why he has done this.

Nothing you can do but sign off.

You make my blood boil.

Yes, sign off or get sanctioned.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending