The Student Room Group

'Straight white guy festival' causes controversy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thechemistress
I don't understand why some people on here are so eager to be seen as oppressed? Oppression is not a good thing. Honestly, I would trade places with any of you white, straight males in an instant.

It's the oppression olympics. Been on Tumblr recently?
Original post by jam278
Tbf slavery in the middle ages has a legacy in society today.

Islamic slave trade means that middle east and part of africa and europe are islamic countries.

Also the crusades are the reason why we are not islamic today.

History has shaped everything today. Do not underestimate how deep things go. Honestly e.g. British people talk about tanning etc. which part of europe contain a lot of tanned people? The likes of italy and greece, who were pretty dominant in europe early AD and were the benchmark. Even though there was a british empire, it didn't really dominate europe. It was the north americas and part of the carribean. Gotta say for such a small country Britain have done pretty well in getting so dominant.

I c. I guess I misspoke.
Black people manufactured the slave trade? What is this bull****?

Also, black people are the most privileged? They're exempt from racism? Do you mean white males, or are you just delusional?

Africans manufactured the slave trade from Africa. It's a fact? Not all slaves, but the ones who went to America & Arab countrys. They came from Africa, because they were manufactured and exported from that continent to firstly other Africans, then Arabs, then Whites, then Jews, then Jews controlled it mostly then the Arabs stopped buying from the global production plant in the 70's but still some do especially in Darfur.

Well yeah, Political Correctness privledges black people, no free speech allowed against them. No black guy has lost their job to the schackles of PC, because it's measured to attacking people make commenfs deemed 'potentially offensive, or culturally offensive to thay group. Look at all the extreme examples of PC in action for minor things...
I don't understand why some people on here are so eager to be seen as oppressed? Oppression is not a good thing. Honestly, I would trade places with any of you white, straight males in an instant.

Right. Which is why it bugs the hell out of me when White people say that Blacks have it easier. I would trade my rhythm and seasoning for their privilege any day, in a heartbeat.
Original post by Truths
I c. I guess I misspoke.

Tbf I've been researching a lot on history(otherwise than the tudors and the stuarts ffs) and looking at the more interesting and gruesome part of history. People don't realise that these are the bits of history that shape today up the most. The national curriculum is all wrong.

Honestly I see why henry the VIII and up to the puritans is important in history, the world wars are very important to learn too. But the slave trades(not just atlantic) and the true extent of the crusades should be learnt properly. I learnt about the transatlantic slave trade as an 8 year old going to elmina castle. Other people probably didn't even learn about it until they got to like 14 and then they only talked a little bit about it.
Original post by CryptoidAlien
Africans manufactured the slave trade from Africa. It's a fact? Not all slaves, but the ones who went to America & Arab countrys. They came from Africa, because they were manufactured and exported from that continent to firstly other Africans, then Arabs, then Whites, then Jews, then Jews controlled it mostly then the Arabs stopped buying from the global production plant in the 70's but still some do especially in Darfur.

Well yeah, Political Correctness privledges black people, no free speech allowed against them. No black guy has lost their job to the schackles of PC, because it's measured to attacking people make commenfs deemed 'potentially offensive, or culturally offensive to thay group. Look at all the extreme examples of PC in action for minor things...

Where is my reply?

You may be on the wrong forum. I encourage you to return to your natural habitat.

Original post by TheAnusFiles
It's the oppression olympics. Been on Tumblr recently?

Tumblr is full of morons. So no, I have not.

Ignoring your first paragraph as it makes no sense.
So basically, you're saying that black people are privileged because racism against them is no longer allowed. Wow.

lel.

I wouldn't. I'm proud of who I am.
Original post by Truths
Right. Which is why it bugs the hell out of me when White people say that Blacks have it easier. I would trade my rhythm and seasoning for their privilege any day, in a heartbeat.

Oh wow you really are a little tumblrite arent you. Problem is that I'm not a racist myself, so rather than respond with a list of negative stereotypes usually attributed to black people, I won't as to not offend decent black people I talk to on here
Tumblr is full of morons. So no, I have not.

Ignoring your first paragraph as it makes no sense.
So basically, you're saying that black people are privileged because racism against them is no longer allowed. Wow.

To put it simply he's one of those guys who gets upset because white people can not use the N Word while Black people may use the word cracker and face little backlash. Because somehow that makes black people privileged and oppressive. Heck, he probably pretends to be offended by cracker. Nothing new here.

Original post by ChickenMadness
lel.

I wouldn't. I'm proud of who I am.

I'm proud of who I am, but the racism does get a bit much sometimes. I know people love to claim that there is no racism in this day and age, but they couldn't be any further from the truth. Granted, it is mainly prevelant in the elderly (60+). The number of times I've been stared down by an old person is ridiculous. I smile at them, they scowl at me. One dude even slowed down his car and wound down his window just so he could glare at me as he passed.
Original post by jam278
Tbf I've been researching a lot on history(otherwise than the tudors and the stuarts ffs) and looking at the more interesting and gruesome part of history. People don't realise that these are the bits of history that shape today up the most. The national curriculum is all wrong.

Honestly I see why henry the VIII and up to the puritans is important in history, the world wars are very important to learn too. But the slave trades(not just atlantic) and the true extent of the crusades should be learnt properly. I learnt about the transatlantic slave trade as an 8 year old going to elmina castle. Other people probably didn't even learn about it until they got to like 14 and then they only talked a little bit about it.

Tbh dwelling on the past fosters racism in certain people. Truths is a good example of that. Completely racist against whites because of things that have happened to his great great great grandparents lmao.

I mean I don't hate germans or Japanese for killing my ancestors.
Tbh dwelling on the past fosters racism in certain people. Truths is a good example of that. Completely racist against whites because of things that have happened to his great great great grandparents lmao.

HA. Little did you know, you are part of the problem.
I'm proud of who I am, but the racism does get a bit much sometimes. I know people love to claim that there is no racism in this day and age, but they couldn't be any further from the truth. Granted, it is mainly prevelant in the elderly (60+). The number of times I've been stared down by an old person is ridiculous. I smile at them, they scowl at me. One dude even slowed down his car and wound down his window just so he could glare at me as he passed.

what's your ethnicity? I once helped an old lady across a car park because it was too windy for her to walk on her own and she said, "Oh you're such a nice boy. Not like those blacks. Stealing all our jobs." It was so random lmao.

Tbh most of the racism i encountered was growing up (which there was alot. and I have broken bones and tendons to show for it). But I don't experience racism much anymore tbh. And I think it makes me stronger as a person anyway having been through those experiences.

I mean I don't hate germans or Japanese for killing my ancestors.

Possibly. I believe the opposite. History repeats itself. If people decide to learn their lessons from history then it wouldn't repeat itself. If Germany learnt their lesson, or that the french realised that intense levels of oppression can lead to an uprising and another world war if they regain their strength then WW2 could have been prevented possibly.

I'm not saying you should hate them for it but you should realise that these events happened.
Reply 336
why are people equating the telling the truth with racism? Lmao, is it because it offends you? Please.
what's your ethnicity? I once helped an old lady across a car park because it was too windy for her to walk on her own and she said, "Oh you're such a nice boy. Not like those blacks. Stealing all our jobs." It was so random lmao.

Tbh most of the racism i encountered was growing up (which there was alot. and I have broken bones and tendons to show for it). But I don't experience racism much anymore tbh. And I think it makes me stronger as a person anyway having been through those experiences.

Yeah, do you see my point? I'm black by the way xD

Yeah, I agree. It does toughen you up a bit. Strange to think that a positive could come out of racism :lol:
Original post by jam278
Possibly. I believe the opposite. History repeats itself. If people decide to learn their lessons from history then it wouldn't repeat itself. If Germany learnt their lesson, or that the french realised that intense levels of oppression can lead to an uprising and another world war if they regain their strength then WW2 could have been prevented possibly.

I'm not saying you should hate them for it but you should realise that these events happened.

ye I know I'm very into history I pretty much constantly read and watch documentaries about history from all over the world just cus I love that stuff lol. But I'm just saying certain people like Truths are like that. Which you can see from his posts lol. He hates white people and is constantly going on about how his ancestors were oppressed. And he thinks that justifies his racist comments towards whites.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Vanny
why are people equating the telling the truth with racism? Lmao, is it because it offends you? Please.

Right?! Apparently I'm racist and I live in the past, the irony being that it was a white person who was 1st to bring up slavery in this thread. All this "racism is in the past" nonsense. Nope racism, is the past, present and future. And acknowledging it's existence is not what keeps it alive. White supremacy is what keeps racism alive. And that is the bottom line.

(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending