The Student Room Group

If you could give one piece of advice to someone just about to come to uni...

what would it be?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mine: Get involved!
Join societies that you're interested in and when you have the opportunity - be a committee member. It's great fun.
Reply 3
That's great advice! What societies did you join up to in first year?
Original post by Armadillo
That's great advice! What societies did you join up to in first year?

In first year only LGBTQ. But since then have been part of the Doctor Who society and help run archery and a queer inclusive choir.
Be open minded and remember there's an entire world of possibilities outside of your chosen course.
Don't have sex. Because you WILL get pregant. AND die.
Reply 7
Original post by nohaynada
Don't have sex. Because you WILL get pregant. AND die.

repped for mean girls quote
Try to get to know as many people as possible on your course in the first week. The later you leave it to know people, the more difficult it gets, because people usually start forming their own little circles and it'll be hard to get inside afterwards (although it is perfectly possible, but it'll just be a bit more difficult if you're not naturally outgoing/confident). In the first few lectures, just start introducing yourself to the guy/girl next to you or behind you, ask them which halls they live, are they planning on going out, etc. Theres never a more normal situation than this to start chatting to a complete stranger. Trust me, during the first week, people are very chillaxed and friendly, they're all in the same position as you are, eager to make friends.
Take opportunities - join societies (something I heard everywhere but didn't bother listening to), go out if it interests you and talk to/make friends with as many people as you can

Edit: Also, chances are you'll meet some ****ty people, but it's also an opportunity to make awesome friends
(edited 9 years ago)
Try something new!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Take full advantage of any free gym memberships your uni offers...I didn't and I gained a stone in my first year! :lol:
Go out on the first night with your hall mates by all means drink but not too much. You don't want to be that guy or girl
Original post by Armadillo
what would it be?

don't say no, say yes.
I agree with joining societies that interest you - it's a great way to meet like-minded people.

I would also advise people to do what they want to do. University is a place to be whoever you want and do whatever you want - don't be limited by a need to conform or please other people.
There is no such thing as the walk if shame, only the walk of just-got-laid pride.
Original post by Quantex
There is no such thing as the walk if shame, only the walk of just-got-laid pride.

rep
Say yes to as many things as possible... it's a great time to try new things, push yourself in a new direction and get involved with new things... take it!
Reply 18
"Be yourself"

Too many people start Uni, everyone cast together and they try and live up to an ill-advised nickname in freshers week, or they hide away their interests because they want to "fit in".

Relax, be yourself and enjoy what life throws at you.
Try lots of new things freshers week and around the beginning of uni.

Just because your new flatmates are having a lazy night in playing FIFA doesn't mean you shouldn't go to the ultimate frisbee try-outs. You may love it, join the team and have years of fun.

Also, don't be afraid of going to thing by yourself. Most people will be like this so introducing yourself to randoms is expecting and normal.

Quick Reply