The Student Room Group

Does anybody else dislike university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SillyMilly
Maybe it is just me then. I loved first year but this year I hate it. Im a bit ditzy I suppose im badly dyspraxic im clumsy, im a bit goofy and it just got to the point every little thing I did my housemates would pick up on and laugh about. I am constantly the joke they sit and laugh about me behind my back. FOr some reason they said im thick like Forest Gump even though I managed to get into do a law degree they keep doing stupid impression anytime I say anything they copy it in that voice. Even when they meet new people or its their friends they try to get me to say words I cant say as I have a bit of a stutter and sit there laughing with total strangers about how stupid I am right to my face. The friends I made on my course I guess are the wrong kind, they are the ones who want to be top barristers who would stab you in the back to get wherever they want to be whereas im not like that I just want to be friends with everybody and have a quiet life. I wouldn't ever hurt somebody elses feelings. I get called ugly by them etc. They walk all over me I ended up having a breakdown in first term this year and had to go home. When I came back I found that they had people sleeping in my room, or they go in my room and go through my stuff then laugh about it. I love to go out clubbing and I like to sometimes drink but ive got heart problems and I don't like to drink around them because again all they do is laugh at me or try an dmkae me do stupid things, because I don't drink im boring and this and that.

At home im like a different person I have all my friends I have horses I spend all day with my horses seeing my friends, doing my pub job, I go out once a week and I just love it. Im so happy and positive. At university I just feel like crying constantly it got to the point last year that I was throwing up every time I had to go back non stop. I cant eat or sleep at uni. Non of my uni friends understand my health problems all I ever get told is why am I running back to mummy I need to man up and stay at uni. When I was ill and not there for the term I use to just receive text messages telling me how much I was missing out that its pathetic I had gone home, never once did they ask how my numerous hospital trips went or how I was feeling. I don't even think they know why I ended up leaving for a term.

Aw this makes me sad :frown: I'm sorry you feel this way, especially how everyone else says uni is supposed to be the time of your life :/ what uni do you go to? And hey, one more year and it's finished for good :wink: I think i saw your picture once on this forum. I didn't think you were ugly at all. No sirree. Quite the contrary actually :smile: Just know that on the inside, you're a much much better person than they'll ever be :smile:
Maybe it is just me then. I loved first year but this year I hate it. Im a bit ditzy I suppose im badly dyspraxic im clumsy, im a bit goofy and it just got to the point every little thing I did my housemates would pick up on and laugh about. I am constantly the joke they sit and laugh about me behind my back. FOr some reason they said im thick like Forest Gump even though I managed to get into do a law degree they keep doing stupid impression anytime I say anything they copy it in that voice. Even when they meet new people or its their friends they try to get me to say words I cant say as I have a bit of a stutter and sit there laughing with total strangers about how stupid I am right to my face. The friends I made on my course I guess are the wrong kind, they are the ones who want to be top barristers who would stab you in the back to get wherever they want to be whereas im not like that I just want to be friends with everybody and have a quiet life. I wouldn't ever hurt somebody elses feelings. I get called ugly by them etc. They walk all over me I ended up having a breakdown in first term this year and had to go home. When I came back I found that they had people sleeping in my room, or they go in my room and go through my stuff then laugh about it. I love to go out clubbing and I like to sometimes drink but ive got heart problems and I don't like to drink around them because again all they do is laugh at me or try an dmkae me do stupid things, because I don't drink im boring and this and that.

At home im like a different person I have all my friends I have horses I spend all day with my horses seeing my friends, doing my pub job, I go out once a week and I just love it. Im so happy and positive. At university I just feel like crying constantly it got to the point last year that I was throwing up every time I had to go back non stop. I cant eat or sleep at uni. Non of my uni friends understand my health problems all I ever get told is why am I running back to mummy I need to man up and stay at uni. When I was ill and not there for the term I use to just receive text messages telling me how much I was missing out that its pathetic I had gone home, never once did they ask how my numerous hospital trips went or how I was feeling. I don't even think they know why I ended up leaving for a term.

Well no wonder you hate university. What they're doing sounds like old fashioned bullying to me - is it not possible to move somewhere else for final year? I wouldn't say you need to change who you are but you definitely need to stick up for yourself, even if it means being a bit 'not nice' back. They might have a bit more respect for you then.

Why are you living with these people? Why not move accommodation or transfer university if you're not happy there?
I really do not enjoy university. I live for the holidays I absoloutly hate everything about it. Im going into my final year in September and I just dreading it. Does anybody else dislike it? I feel like everybody loves it and says how amazing it is and theres me wishing I could leave

I see you go to Reading. Why do you hate it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ruffiio
Why are you living with these people? Why not move accommodation or transfer university if you're not happy there?

I know its ridiculous im still there. It is all my fault Im so scared of upsetting people I let them speak to me like they do. Even now in the summer holidays they have a group facebook message im getting those stupid memes taking the mick out of me. I stupidly signed the contract for 3rd year as I was worried id upset them and they would be more nasty to me.

I transfer my housemate money for bills each month and its getting more each month and I know for a fact that they are taking the money for themselves I try to tell them I know this and they just say im thick and don't understand the bills.

Its only the three of us in the house so its them v me. I know I really need to leave im just such a wimp im scared if I upset them it will get worse
Original post by Coffeetime
I see you go to Reading. Why do you hate it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love the town I just don't fit into the "uni life"

I had the same problems with the people in my class in the first uni I went to. I snapped one day and told them exactly what I thought of them. They were shocked at how nasty I could be.

As what others here have said you need to stand up to them. I know easier said than done but start with something little. Like maybe if they say something to make fun of you, say 'i don't understand you since I don't speak stupid'. Little things that will tell them that you won't stand for it.
Also maybe you should speak to someone like your tutor. You might be able to get out of the lease you just signed. It seems toxic to carry on living with these morons and your grades as well as your health could get affected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TurboCretin
Where are you applying, if you don't mind me asking?

Cambridge, Bristol, Sheffield, York and Bath I think. (Assuming results day goes to plan)
I'm applying for Biochemistry (natural sciences at Cambridge)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Nah, it's pretty awesome. I find myself pretty desperate to get back by the end of the holidays.
Would just like to point out that contrary to TSR belief, university is not the be all and end all.
Life after university can be just as amazing. You have more money to travel and to party etc etc.
I can't stand education.
I love the town I just don't fit into the "uni life"

I see. I'm sorry. At least you're on your last year. You've made it this far!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Precious Illusions
Meh I'm pretty indifferent about it. I agree though, everyone is going on about how amazing it is and I'm just like :indiff: Always looking forward to the holidays though. I don't really like the stress.

Feel the same way. I think it's because I've had a lot of fun in all my school years and most of the freedom that uni provides was given to me in college. :indiff:
This is kinda making me scared :/

I'm not into clubbing and drinking and I doubt I'll ever be. But would that really affect me? I mean I'm planning to join clubs, societies and try with my flat mates. Every person on TSR who said they won't drink at uni have said they will still go out clubbing but I don't want to do nether :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
At the school I've just left (I'm starting uni in early October (Imperial College London if I get the grades)) people seem to really pressure you into drinking. I don't drink. I have been drunk once and it was nice but I HATE the taste of alcohol... I haven't tried anything that I like, it all just tastes like vomit to me haha. Will I have a worse time at uni if i don't drink? I'm still going to join societies like football and maybe table tennis/pool/snooker/something like that.
Original post by Jatom
At the school I've just left (I'm starting uni in early October (Imperial College London if I get the grades)) people seem to really pressure you into drinking. I don't drink. I have been drunk once and it was nice but I HATE the taste of alcohol... I haven't tried anything that I like, it all just tastes like vomit to me haha. Will I have a worse time at uni if i don't drink? I'm still going to join societies like football and maybe table tennis/pool/snooker/something like that.

Honestly, I've seen so many people just like yourself in several topics on this site that are terrified of going to uni, just because of the fact that they don't like to drink.

If you start of uni with a negative attitude, you'll carry that on into your uni life. This may sound harsh, but man up, don't give into peer pressure and make yourself have a good time at uni with the things that you would enjoy doing, not being pressured into something that you don't enjoy just to get people to like you. People will like you for who you are. If they don't like the fact you don't drink then they're not worth the time of day.

You can still have an amazing time if you don't drink, but at the end of the day it's down to you as an individual to keep a positive outlook, and get yourself involved/being social with others. Enjoy yourself and stop worrying!
Reply 55
Original post by ItsRoryG
Honestly, I've seen so many people just like yourself in several topics on this site that are terrified of going to uni, just because of the fact that they don't like to drink.

If you start of uni with a negative attitude, you'll carry that on into your uni life. This may sound harsh, but man up, don't give into peer pressure and make yourself have a good time at uni with the things that you would enjoy doing, not being pressured into something that you don't enjoy just to get people to like you. People will like you for who you are. If they don't like the fact you don't drink then they're not worth the time of day.

You can still have an amazing time if you don't drink, but at the end of the day it's down to you as an individual to keep a positive outlook, and get yourself involved/being social with others. Enjoy yourself and stop worrying!

Great comment! Thanks man! I'm not not looking forward to uni! That was the only thing I was worrying about (along with London being pretty god damn expensive). I love my subject and I'm looking forward to meeting new people and having a great time! :smile:
Reply 56
I really do not enjoy university. I live for the holidays I absoloutly hate everything about it. Im going into my final year in September and I just dreading it. Does anybody else dislike it? I feel like everybody loves it and says how amazing it is and theres me wishing I could leave

Well you sound like an exciting person to be around. Maybe quit thinking negative thoughts and get out there and try to have fun you may enjoy it rather than focusing on the negatives.
Original post by Coxy124
Well you sound like an exciting person to be around. Maybe quit thinking negative thoughts and get out there and try to have fun you may enjoy it rather than focusing on the negatives.

I have "got out there" ive joined societies I go out clubbing once a week if not more with people because I feel I should, I go the pub I make an effort but im not happy. I cant help that im constantly being made a laughing stock and being put down, its all just got to much. I put up with it all of first year and now second year along with big health problems ive just snapped and had enough of them. As I said at home im a very positive person im out all the time im busy constantly but at uni I feel depressed. I honestly try my hardest to enjoy it I think if anybody saw me at uni theyd think im having the time of my life when im really not.
Original post by ldsbabe
Would just like to point out that contrary to TSR belief, university is not the be all and end all.
Life after university can be just as amazing. You have more money to travel and to party etc etc.
I can't stand education.

I agree I sort of wish I had just gone and got a job rather than wasting my money on something which is making me so unhappy.
I agree I sort of wish I had just gone and got a job rather than wasting my money on something which is making me so unhappy.

Aww sorry you're so unhappy :frown:
This is the worst bit of advice ever but you just have to ride it out. At the end of it, you'll have a nice degree under your belt. It will be worth it in the end. You just have to keep telling yourself why you're at uni, to get a degree and to earn lots of money!! :smile:

Quick Reply