The Student Room Group

debenhams restaurant assistant job

I recently have an interview with Debenhams coming up and I was wondering what experience people have had working within this role? :smile:
Reply 1
I was in that job at debenhams for 3 years, is there anything specific you wanted to know?

We had the potwash, "floor" (which was clearing tables), serving drinks to customers and being on the till. At my restaurant we swapped role every hour or so. After a while I got the opportunity to work on the hot food bar serving meals and the kitchen making the food. I didnt enjoy them though really but that was just because I was rubbish at it :tongue: So mainly I just did the other stuff. It's pretty easy really.
Reply 2
Original post by Jenx301
I was in that job at debenhams for 3 years, is there anything specific you wanted to know?

We had the potwash, "floor" (which was clearing tables), serving drinks to customers and being on the till. At my restaurant we swapped role every hour or so. After a while I got the opportunity to work on the hot food bar serving meals and the kitchen making the food. I didnt enjoy them though really but that was just because I was rubbish at it :tongue: So mainly I just did the other stuff. It's pretty easy really.

Did you enjoy the job? and serving the meals part is it all easy enough to do? and I didn't even realize we had to make the food! :frown: what type of food did you have to make? and that's good to hear :smile: I'm just apprehensive due to working in a pub before as a waitress and I hated it, and I'm dreading it's going to be the same, but Debenhams seem to be a much nicer company to work for. Also is the interview for the role easy? thank you :smile:
what question do they ask for a phone interview pleasee help!! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Kitty260
what question do they ask for a phone interview pleasee help!! :biggrin:

They basically just asked why would you want to work for Debenhams, and what experience do you have? What would you do if you had a customer which had left all there food and just general questions really :smile: just make sure you read up about Debenhams! Good luck :smile:
omg i am really scared what else do they ask you
Reply 6
omg i am really scared what else do they ask you

Aww honestly don't be! I get really nervous too with interviews and all but this was fine, they're really nice and just answer the best you can just things like how your previous jobs will help aid you in Debenhams stuff like that, theres only a few questions honestly mine was done within a few minutes!! honestly don't worry! which branch have you applied for? :smile:
Uxbridge you?
Reply 8
Uxbridge you?

Hull :smile: honestly you'll be fine!
Did you call them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Did you call them

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did :smile:
Original post by Dwalk24
Did you enjoy the job? and serving the meals part is it all easy enough to do? and I didn't even realize we had to make the food! :frown: what type of food did you have to make? and that's good to hear :smile: I'm just apprehensive due to working in a pub before as a waitress and I hated it, and I'm dreading it's going to be the same, but Debenhams seem to be a much nicer company to work for. Also is the interview for the role easy? thank you :smile:

Yes I enjoyed it and I liked the girls I worked with too, it was a good place to work. They never were sneaky and tried to underpay or something like some places do.

Serving the meals was easy enough, they were all displayed on the board behind me and its just dishing up food infront of you. Some debenhams don't have meals like that they just have sandwhiches so it depends how big your restaurant is. Its not so much making food as cooking pre prepared stuff but i was awful at remembering how long to cook stuff for so i didnt like it. Some of the other girls preferred being in the kitchen though so it depends on personal preferences really.

Its not like being a waitress really. You just have to be friendly, put effort in and do the best you can and you will be ok x
Reply 12
Original post by Jenx301
Yes I enjoyed it and I liked the girls I worked with too, it was a good place to work. They never were sneaky and tried to underpay or something like some places do.

Serving the meals was easy enough, they were all displayed on the board behind me and its just dishing up food infront of you. Some debenhams don't have meals like that they just have sandwhiches so it depends how big your restaurant is. Its not so much making food as cooking pre prepared stuff but i was awful at remembering how long to cook stuff for so i didnt like it. Some of the other girls preferred being in the kitchen though so it depends on personal preferences really.

Its not like being a waitress really. You just have to be friendly, put effort in and do the best you can and you will be ok x

Thank you for the reply, I had my interview a few days ago and she said I did really well so hopefully I get it! I was just apprehensive because I hated my previous job but to hear it's not like that makes me so much happier! The debenhams I would work for do have the meals, but I'm sure it'll be okay :smile: the people seem lovely there too! so i guess that's a bonus :smile: thank you so much for answering me, the only thing that made me a bit anxious was at the interview she mentioned about makeup having to be natural ( which I am ) and I asked about my makeup and she said no eyeliner pretty much, which to me was a shock because I hardly wear any so I don't really know what to think about that as I feel awful without it :frown: considering I hardly wear any it was a shock!x
Original post by Dwalk24
Thank you for the reply, I had my interview a few days ago and she said I did really well so hopefully I get it! I was just apprehensive because I hated my previous job but to hear it's not like that makes me so much happier! The debenhams I would work for do have the meals, but I'm sure it'll be okay :smile: the people seem lovely there too! so i guess that's a bonus :smile: thank you so much for answering me, the only thing that made me a bit anxious was at the interview she mentioned about makeup having to be natural ( which I am ) and I asked about my makeup and she said no eyeliner pretty much, which to me was a shock because I hardly wear any so I don't really know what to think about that as I feel awful without it :frown: considering I hardly wear any it was a shock!x

No problem, glad I could help. As for the makeup, where I worked they said that at my interview and even said be careful not to wear too much perfume but they werent especially strict on makeup, i know some girls wore liquid eyeliner sometimes but obviously its going to depend on your manager. To be honest I didnt usually bother with doing my makeup for work much because I always looked like crap after an hour or two anyway lol
Reply 14
Original post by Jenx301
No problem, glad I could help. As for the makeup, where I worked they said that at my interview and even said be careful not to wear too much perfume but they werent especially strict on makeup, i know some girls wore liquid eyeliner sometimes but obviously its going to depend on your manager. To be honest I didnt usually bother with doing my makeup for work much because I always looked like crap after an hour or two anyway lol

You have :smile: and I'll just try it and see how it goes! they're recruiting a new manager soon anyway so that'll be okay :smile: and yeah I don't blame you, it happens! did you have to wear a hat aswell as she mentioned that? what's the hat like, as I have no idea how i'd do my hair considering it's quite long
Original post by Dwalk24
You have :smile: and I'll just try it and see how it goes! they're recruiting a new manager soon anyway so that'll be okay :smile: and yeah I don't blame you, it happens! did you have to wear a hat aswell as she mentioned that? what's the hat like, as I have no idea how i'd do my hair considering it's quite long

Yes I did, I had a baseball cap, a plain black one. a few girls had these hats though which i hated lol

large-size-classic-plain-navy-blue-chef-s-skull-cap-hat-from-1.75-each-438-p.jpg
Reply 16
Original post by Jenx301
Yes I did, I had a baseball cap, a plain black one. a few girls had these hats though which i hated lol

I'd prefer a baseball cap! not that one :frown: it's awful!
Original post by Jenx301

Hi I've applied for the restaurant role and was wondering is there any advice or tips that I need for the group interview. I'm panicking is that bad?
Original post by saman8557
Hi I've applied for the restaurant role and was wondering is there any advice or tips that I need for the group interview. I'm panicking is that bad?

sorry I didn't have a group interview when I went for this role, although I applied in 2010 so it could have changed since. I'd probably advise to be confident, speak up (but obviously don't speak over people) and work well in the team.
Hi just wondering if you need any health and hygiene certificates to get the job? I applied and ticked the box saying yes, but i thought my old jobs elearning counted and now I am worried and my interview is on Friday!

Quick Reply