The Student Room Group

Terrified of driving lessons

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DeterminedDreamer
Well the instructor I'm getting also teaches my friend and she highly recommends him because he is calming and explains stuff well so that will help and I'm starting summer 2015 when the day light hours are longer.

Sounds good to me. You can always come on here and look for some advice or have a gossip too :wink:.
I was nervous for the first lesson, but once you get taught the basics of clutch control, mirrors, steering, planning ahead etc, then learning will become very easy.

Make sure you listen to your instructor, use your mirrors and drive safely. Don't get put off if you are hesitant at the wheel, because everyone is hesitant initially! Also if you stall, it's not the end of the world, restart the engine and just try to learn from that mistake, e.g. maybe you didn't put enough gas down, so make sure you have enough gas the next time you start from a stand still!

Driving is now natural for me as once you pass, you just gain alot more experience on the roads by yourself and that is when you learn the most about how to drive.

I'd advise you to start looking through some material for your theory test (if you haven't already done it) and book it as soon as you can :biggrin:

Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
I have to say I used to get very nervous before driving lessons because it's that fear of "what if X happens when I'm driving" or "will I be driving on tough roads today". Needless to say I passed my theory and practical first time because I fought through that fear factor and it made me a better driver for it because I was more aware of what I was actualyl doing during my driving.
I had my first lesson on Monday and it was going not too bad till we realised how terrible my steering is and I almost crashed into another car. My next lesson is on Friday and I am now more nervous than ever for driving
You need to find a driving instructor that you feel you can trust. Personally, I had some really bad experiences with some driving instructors. How did you find your driving instructor?
Original post by absurdity69
You need to find a driving instructor that you feel you can trust. Personally, I had some really bad experiences with some driving instructors. How did you find your driving instructor?

I'm going with my friend's instructor, he's the third instructor she's had and the best one of the lot. She high recommends him and gave me his number. My provisional licence has now arrived so I can now ring him up and arrange when I want to start having lessons (when I'm not at uni of course)
Original post by James A
I was nervous for the first lesson, but once you get taught the basics of clutch control, mirrors, steering, planning ahead etc, then learning will become very easy.

Make sure you listen to your instructor, use your mirrors and drive safely. Don't get put off if you are hesitant at the wheel, because everyone is hesitant initially! Also if you stall, it's not the end of the world, restart the engine and just try to learn from that mistake, e.g. maybe you didn't put enough gas down, so make sure you have enough gas the next time you start from a stand still!

Driving is now natural for me as once you pass, you just gain alot more experience on the roads by yourself and that is when you learn the most about how to drive.

I'd advise you to start looking through some material for your theory test (if you haven't already done it) and book it as soon as you can :biggrin:

Good luck!

I have the theory material (including the highway code) and having had a flick through it I must say most of the theory is common sense, so I'm not stressing about that. I reckon after a few lessons I'll be fine. It's just the getting going that makes me nervous as I don't know yet how it'll feel being in control of the car.
I have the theory material (including the highway code) and having had a flick through it I must say most of the theory is common sense, so I'm not stressing about that. I reckon after a few lessons I'll be fine. It's just the getting going that makes me nervous as I don't know yet how it'll feel being in control of the car.

Here's the thing, yes it is mainly common sense, but there are some questions that actually require you to remember specific speed limits and restrictions etc.

the pass mark is 41/50 I believe for the multiple choice questions. With common sense, you can easily get a minimum of 30 right, but it would be very hard to get to achieve 41 just by relying on pure common sense. That's the thing, learning the specifics in the theory material is what gains you those last 9 or so valuable marks, which will take you to full marks. Something you and everyone should be wary of.

Also the theory test consist of the hazard perception test, look it up on google to find out more!
Original post by James A
Here's the thing, yes it is mainly common sense, but there are some questions that actually require you to remember specific speed limits and restrictions etc.

the pass mark is 41/50 I believe for the multiple choice questions. With common sense, you can easily get a minimum of 30 right, but it would be very hard to get to achieve 41 just by relying on pure common sense. That's the thing, learning the specifics in the theory material is what gains you those last 9 or so valuable marks, which will take you to full marks. Something you and everyone should be wary of.

Also the theory test consist of the hazard perception test, look it up on google to find out more!

yeah which is why I've bought the books and will be downloading the practice test and will revise until I know it like the back of my hand when the time comes
yeah which is why I've bought the books and will be downloading the practice test and will revise until I know it like the back of my hand when the time comes

good stuff!
I've had like 20 something lessons and I still get nervous aha, I just panic too much about other drivers and constantly ask my instructor 'should I do this?' 'What do I do now?' even though I know full well what to do I just want reassurance, every time I feel like I get more confidence I have another lesson and feel like I'm back to square one. For example we've been doing independent driving and she said I did everything fine (apart from a few minor things) and then today I got in the car, stalled THREE times and started crying.. How embarrassing hahaha, I just need to stop worrying about other people because I always make mistakes because I'm paranoid of other drivers being angry at me :colondollar:
Original post by patsyjenx
I've had like 20 something lessons and I still get nervous aha, I just panic too much about other drivers and constantly ask my instructor 'should I do this?' 'What do I do now?' even though I know full well what to do I just want reassurance, every time I feel like I get more confidence I have another lesson and feel like I'm back to square one. For example we've been doing independent driving and she said I did everything fine (apart from a few minor things) and then today I got in the car, stalled THREE times and started crying.. How embarrassing hahaha, I just need to stop worrying about other people because I always make mistakes because I'm paranoid of other drivers being angry at me :colondollar:

On my lesson the other week I was at the front of a line of traffic (about 15 cars) before a traffic light. It turn green, I tried to drive off but I stalled, the light went red before I had chance to try and drive off again and so I held everybody up. The light went green, and I stalled and the same thing happened again.

All in all I held everyone behind me up for about 8 minutes :')
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by snikutsmullac
On my lesson the other week I was at the front of a line of traffic (about 15 cars) before a traffic light. It turn green, I tried to drive off but I stalled, the light went red before I had chance to try and drive off again and so I held everybody up. The light went green, and I stalled and the same thing happened again.

All in all I held everyone behind me up for about 8 minutes :')

It makes me feel better when I hear other people telling me they make mistakes too hahaa! I just panic too much and stall then stall again because I'm panicking, I can't even look in my rear view mirror because I'm scared I'll be getting the V's or something! So most of the time my driving instructor has to drive us off & i know that if I did that on my test it'd just be a big fat fail hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
It makes me feel better when I hear other people telling me they make mistakes too hahaa! I just panic too much and stall then stall again because I'm panicking, I can't even look in my rear view mirror because I'm scared I'll be getting the V's or something! So most of the time my driving instructor has to drive us off & i know that if I did that on my test it'd just be a big fat fail hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to stall when I started the car every single time. It just doesn't feel right how slowly you have to move your foot off of the clutch when your'e in first gear. I make myself count to five - if I move my foot off the clutch any quicker, I know I'll stall D:

Most people on the road are fairly understanding. They can see that you're still learning to drive and aren't going to be perfect, so don't worry! There's no use getting upset about it.

You can stall a car on your test and still pass. It's more how well you can control your vehicle and react to things than whether or not you make silly mistakes. So if you immediately put the handbrake on and start again, you should be fine.
I used to stall when I started the car every single time. It just doesn't feel right how slowly you have to move your foot off of the clutch when your'e in first gear. I make myself count to five - if I move my foot off the clutch any quicker, I know I'll stall D:

Most people on the road are fairly understanding. They can see that you're still learning to drive and aren't going to be perfect, so don't worry! There's no use getting upset about it.

You can stall a car on your test and still pass. It's more how well you can control your vehicle and react to things than whether or not you make silly mistakes. So if you immediately put the handbrake on and start again, you should be fine.

Yeah it just feels awkward doesn't it! I feel like every time I'm at lights and stuff I take SO bloody long to move every second feels like a minute to cars behind ha & yeah if I was to stall I know for a fact I'll just be thrown off then :frown: think I just need to stick to the bus lool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah it just feels awkward doesn't it! I feel like every time I'm at lights and stuff I take SO bloody long to move every second feels like a minute to cars behind ha & yeah if I was to stall I know for a fact I'll just be thrown off then :frown: think I just need to stick to the bus lool

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still got plenty of time to practise, how many lessons have you had so far?
Still got plenty of time to practise, how many lessons have you had so far?

25ish I think cos my instructor went on holiday for a month! So got a while yet I think ffs, you? Or have you already passed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
25ish I think cos my instructor went on holiday for a month! So got a while yet I think ffs, you? Or have you already passed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sucks. I've had about nine lessons now. I've got a way to go yet - nowhere near pass standard D;

Do you have a car? One you practise in outside of lessons?
That sucks. I've had about nine lessons now. I've got a way to go yet - nowhere near pass standard D;

Do you have a car? One you practise in outside of lessons?

You seem more comfortable with it though so that's good! Just takes so long learning though which is effort. I thought id be well good by now hahaha but I'm just a nervous wreck for some reason! Have you done your theory?

And nope when I start my new job I'm gonna save for a car but it'll be a while before I get one & my mums is too big I don't like the thought of driving it haha! Do you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
I have my first lesson on my birthday on the 6th of august. It'd be a shame to have a car crash on my birthday. So I'm quite nervous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending