The Student Room Group

Nursing 2015 entry advice

I'm wanting to apply for Adult Nursing 2015, I'm stressing out about not getting in! I'll be starting my second year at college in September, and I'm doing Psychology and double Health and Social care, predicted ABB-BBB.
I was wanting to stay local as I thought it may be easier with placements etc by living at home but I'm wondering if that is actually the case? As I realise I would have a lot more chance applying to 5, but another issue is it a bad idea to apply to uni's that I haven't visited? Do they ask at interviews if you have been to the university before? As I have been to two out of the five I would apply to. Also, I have a part time retail job and two volunteer positions, working in a residential home and as a volunteer support worker for adults with learning disabilities. I have been going to the residential home weekly since January, and have been doing the support worker for around 6 weeks so far.

Is it a struggle doing nursing while living away from home? And do you think I have enough experience?
Reply 1
Your experience sounds really good and will be something to talk to about at interviews. No they don't ask if you've been there before they just interview you and normally give a talk about that university and course so it doesn't matter if you don't attend there open day as you can look around at the interview (from my experience) . if I were you I'd apply to both some near and away and decide at a later date. It really depends how you feel whether you think you'd do better with living at home and having family around you or you want to move out and get your own life a bit :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by charlotte70
I'm wanting to apply for Adult Nursing 2015, I'm stressing out about not getting in! I'll be starting my second year at college in September, and I'm doing Psychology and double Health and Social care, predicted ABB-BBB.
I was wanting to stay local as I thought it may be easier with placements etc by living at home but I'm wondering if that is actually the case? As I realise I would have a lot more chance applying to 5, but another issue is it a bad idea to apply to uni's that I haven't visited? Do they ask at interviews if you have been to the university before? As I have been to two out of the five I would apply to. Also, I have a part time retail job and two volunteer positions, working in a residential home and as a volunteer support worker for adults with learning disabilities. I have been going to the residential home weekly since January, and have been doing the support worker for around 6 weeks so far.

Is it a struggle doing nursing while living away from home? And do you think I have enough experience?

Hi, I'm currently at the end of my second year of Adult Nursing so I will try and answer what I can but feel free to ask anything I miss out.

I would 100% advise moving away from home. Although parents can be very helpful, most simply do not understand the demands of the course or working nights, etc. It's also a valuable live experience that you won't get if you stay at home - you need to learn things like washing, cooking, budgeting, etc. The interview isn't really anything to do with having or having not been to the university before, it is for you to sell yourself to them and tell them why you want to do the course. Most involve a talk about the city and the course and then a numeracy exam and a group/single interview. Your experience is top notch, just remember to apply it to nursing in your personal statement.

Best of luck
Reply 3
Thank you so much for both your replies:smile: I understand how beneficial moving away can be but I have a severe gluten allergy as well which worries me that if I move away I will be sharing kitchen etc with people. Thank you for that information though because I thought that they would want me to have looked round the uni before. I think I might apply to some away from home just to be sure, the only thing that puts me off is the more I apply to the more interviews I potentially have to endure!

I've tried to start my personal statement at the moment but I'm finding it so difficult trying to decide what to write and what sort of information it needs to include - my college have given no help at all so I'm trying to research as well to make it a good one.
Reply 4
Thank you so much for both your replies:smile: I understand how beneficial moving away can be but I have a severe gluten allergy as well which worries me that if I move away I will be sharing kitchen etc with people. Thank you for that information though because I thought that they would want me to have looked round the uni before. I think I might apply to some away from home just to be sure, the only thing that puts me off is the more I apply to the more interviews I potentially have to endure!

I've tried to start my personal statement at the moment but I'm finding it so difficult trying to decide what to write and what sort of information it needs to include - my college have given no help at all so I'm trying to research as well to make it a good one.

The interviews are nerve wracking but they really aren't that bad. They just want to see that you have good social skills, know what the course and job are about and that you really want to do it!

I was going to offer to send you my PS but it is on my memory stick which is in a different city. Sorry!
Reply 5
Hiya,
I'm really interested in BSc Adult Nursing for 2015 entry also! I've ordered lots of prospectuses but am having difficulty choosing my favourite unis to visit and then apply to. I'm looking for a reputable uni with a great course, but I'd love if there were fantastic clubs & societies and other opportunities as well. Which uni's would people recommend?
Thank you!! :smile:

Same here don't know what to put on mine too :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alice539
Hiya,
I'm really interested in BSc Adult Nursing for 2015 entry also! I've ordered lots of prospectuses but am having difficulty choosing my favourite unis to visit and then apply to. I'm looking for a reputable uni with a great course, but I'd love if there were fantastic clubs & societies and other opportunities as well. Which uni's would people recommend?
Thank you!! :smile:

University reputation doesn't matter with courses like nursing, the course is set by the NMC so a nurse qualifying in one place should have covered the same stuff as a nursing qualifying at another. (This is probably one of the most common things I have to post in this part of TSR). Find a university that you're going to be happy at, that uses teaching methods you like in a town or city you like. You're going to be spending the next three years there at least, you may even stay when you finish, a lot of people do. Go to open days, see what you think of the places you visit. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by moonkatt
University reputation doesn't matter with courses like nursing, the course is set by the NMC so a nurse qualifying in one place should have covered the same stuff as a nursing qualifying at another. (This is probably one of the most common things I have to post in this part of TSR). Find a university that you're going to be happy at, that uses teaching methods you like in a town or city you like. You're going to be spending the next three years there at least, you may even stay when you finish, a lot of people do. Go to open days, see what you think of the places you visit. :smile:

That's really useful, thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest