The Student Room Group

ANOTHER plane has gone missing

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
There are around 100,000 flights per day around the world.

At any given time, at least 400,000 people are in the air.

In 6 months, 2 planes have gone down for unknown reasons. That's 2 out of, very roughly, 17,500,000.

If you think those are "ridiculous" odds I presume you never go near a car, then?

That's not the point. This year has been pretty freakish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone that thinks we're going through a rough patch in aviation safety at the moment, spare a thought for the victims of August 1985. Though that's probably got a fair bit to do with the sheer number of people that died on JA123.
Original post by Straw-man666
That's not the point. This year has been pretty freakish.

It hasn't, really.

Planes will, inevitably, crash every now and then. The numbers that have had accidents we've had this year is no different to previous years. Only difference is the death toll.
Reply 43
Happens very often. This is just being reported on due to the timing of it and it'll whip up a lot of interest. Truth is these kind of crashes happen this frequently every year especially in parts of the world like Africa, they just aren't reported on.
Original post by Drewski
It hasn't, really.

Planes will, inevitably, crash every now and then. The numbers that have had accidents we've had this year is no different to previous years. Only difference is the death toll.

Yeah but look at the incidents/accidents. One plane crashing into the ocean, another one being blown up (supposedly) by a rocket and now this one. It's probably all just a coincidence but it is still very unusual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by Drewski

In 6 months, 2 planes have gone down for unknown reasons. That's 2 out of, very roughly, 17,500,000.

If you think those are "ridiculous" odds I presume you never go near a car, then?

I'm talking about being unable to track very large aircrafts, not planes crashing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah but look at the incidents/accidents. One plane crashing into the ocean, another one being blown up (supposedly) by a rocket and now this one. It's probably all just a coincidence but it is still very unusual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I could be wrong as I'm a 90s kid, but to have this many widely reported aviation accidents in a year is unusual, isn't it?
Original post by Drewski

You're exactly right. I never understand why people hear of a few air crashes which coincidentally happen within a short time frame of each other, and automatically assume air travel is unsafe.

It actually makes me quite angry. The risk that something will go wrong is very, very small. It's not as if you board an aircraft with a 50% chance of making it to the other airport, if it was like that, nobody would fly.

It is an unfortunate coincidence and my thoughts are with the passengers and their families.

Having one shot down is unusual, but having crashes isn't.

Worldwide aviation deaths every year average out at, roughly, 700-800.

Original post by Jordooooom
I'm talking about being unable to track very large aircrafts, not planes crashing.l

You only find that surprising because you haven't got the first clue how the system works and are talking from a point of utter moronic ignorance and acting as if you're the gospel truth. If you took the time to understand what goes on you'd realise how easy it is for something to happen.
Original post by SallyTheKid
I could be wrong as I'm a 90s kid, but to have this many widely reported aviation accidents in a year is unusual, isn't it?

It's only unusual because these are big jetliners that have had a large number of people on board. Aviation incidents happen nearly every day, sometimes a military helicopter goes down and one or two people are killed, other times a small prop aircraft skids off a runway with no casualties. But these incidents aren't reported by the media because they are quite small by comparison. If something big happens such as an airliner going down, it gets more coverage.

That said, flying is very safe and like I said in my previous post, there is a minuscule chance of anything going wrong.
Alhamdulillah, flying is indeed very safe, the safest method of transport i believe. Just say your prayers before the plane takes off and all will be good inshallah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was planning to go to algeria this year... I guess I'll cancel.
Reply 52
Original post by Drewski
Having one shot down is unusual, but having crashes isn't.

Worldwide aviation deaths every year average out at, roughly, 700-800.

You only find that surprising because you haven't got the first clue how the system works and are talking from a point of utter moronic ignorance and acting as if you're the gospel truth. If you took the time to understand what goes on you'd realise how easy it is for something to happen.

No it's surprising because it is very rare that a commercial airliner can go completely missing. You referenced the number of flights and you stated that crashes aren't that uncommon.

So how many of the crashes end up with commercials flights going missing without a trace? Not very many. And what are the chances of that happening (potentially) within a few months of each other?

I suggest you stop talking out of your arse because you're making an idiot of yourself
(edited 9 years ago)
No it's surprising because it is very rare that a commercial airliner can go completely missing. You referenced the number of flights and you stated that crashes aren't that uncommon.

So how many of the crashes end up with commercials flights going missing without a trace? Not very many. And what are the chances of that happening (potentially) within a few months of each other?

I suggest you stop talking out of your arse because you're making a fool of yourself

No need to swear. Jesus loves you and the whole of mankind :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blueskyblue
inb4 Blame Islam !

You're the only person in this thread so far who's mentioned Islam. I'd advise you to get that chip off your soldier and lose the victim complex, it's embarrassing.
Original post by tengentoppa
You're the only person in this thread so far who's mentioned Islam. I'd advise you to get that chip off your soldier and lose the victim complex, it's embarrassing.

Think the comment was tongue in cheek and more of a protest at summary accusations towards Islam and Muslims.
It's obviously the Illuminati.

I suggest you stop talking out of your arse because you're making a fool of yourself

Any idea how often they disappear from a screen? It can happen all the time for any number of reasons, more often than not, however, they simply pop up again later on.

The RAF's Quick Reaction Alert aircraft are often launched because military radar has picked up something that has eluded civilian ATC because of issues with transponders - the two systems work differently.

The only thing that's unusual is the fact that these two have then gone on to crash. In the case of this most recent one, heavy storms, especially electrical, is easily enough to interrupt a transponder signal and prevent that from getting in/out of the aircraft, with the storm itself then being enough to down the aircraft.

What you have to understand is the difference between the systems. Civilian Air Traffic Control is not a radar in the conventional sense. It doesn't "see" the aircraft; it's not a signal that's sent up, bounces off the metal work, and then back to the radar station. It's purely radio-based on the signal coming off the aircraft's transponder. The Civilian ATC can only see you if you're sending out that signal. You can only get BBC1 on your tv if BBC1 is working. That's the case here. For whatever reason, and in this most recent case it's clearly the reported storms, the signal was interrupted, so the flight is then 'missing'. Normally, they'd just pop up again on the other side of the storm. You have no idea how common that is.

What's worth remembering is that the part of the world these things have happened in. Neither location (central Africa, south Indian Ocean) are covered by military radar, so when the ATC fails, there's no back up. In most of the rest of the world, there is that dual coverage.

I'd further suggest you took the time to calm down. No need to get angry over this. I'm trying to explain how these things work because I've studied this and worked in the industry, I'm trying to help you, and others, understand what actually goes on so you can put it in perspective.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tengentoppa

Its funny because im not even a Muslim hahaha .
Original post by Drewski
Any idea how often they disappear from a screen? It can happen all the time for any number of reasons, more often than not, however, they simply pop up again later on.

The RAF's Quick Reaction Alert aircraft are often launched because military radar has picked up something that has eluded civilian ATC because of issues with transponders - the two systems work differently.

The only thing that's unusual is the fact that these two have then gone on to crash. In the case of this most recent one, heavy storms, especially electrical, is easily enough to interrupt a transponder signal and prevent that from getting in/out of the aircraft, with the storm itself then being enough to down the aircraft.

What you have to understand is the difference between the systems. Civilian Air Traffic Control is not a radar in the conventional sense. It doesn't "see" the aircraft; it's not a signal that's sent up, bounces off the metal work, and then back to the radar station. It's purely radio-based on the signal coming off the aircraft's transponder. The Civilian ATC can only see you if you're sending out that signal. You can only get BBC1 on your tv if BBC1 is working. That's the case here. For whatever reason, and in this most recent case it's clearly the reported storms, the signal was interrupted, so the flight is then 'missing'. Normally, they'd just pop up again on the other side of the storm. You have no idea how common that is.

Ameen. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending