The Student Room Group

Is a wife entitled to her husband's money?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SarcasticMel
If you don't want to share while in a marriage you have a) serious only-child issues and b) why the hell are you married in the first place?

Saying that, what is shared after a divorce, that is an entirely different matter. Imo if there are no kids involved, if you earn twice as much, you should get twice as much of all assets bought/earned after marrying. The bank account should not be split.

a)wtf did that even come from?
b)Secure Companionship, but rules may need be placed
I would still have my own bank account and a also a shared bank account and no I do not agree sharing to that extent and finally if divorce was to come into play then i shall get seventy percent whilst she gets thirty percent
Reply 41
Original post by Freudian Slip
ITT: People with no experience of marriage making wild assumptions, based on their non-experience of divorce.

How long have you been married? 2009 to present for me :smile:
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Stuff like new shoes and phones I'd pay for myself. Stuff like going out for dinner or holidays (shared things) I'd split (if the earnings discrepancy was large, then split according roughly to who earns what).

I would die before I asked my boyfriend/husband to pay for a new pair of shoes :lolwut:

Wow, I actually think that's the most sensible thing I've seen a woman say on here. Congratulations, you have my respect.
Original post by scrotgrot
This should presumably limit exposure in a divorce.

It would be nice if couples could be a bit more relaxed than this about sharing income but unfortunately the divorce laws make it too big a risk.

Unfortunately marriage is the exposure itself. The best way to avoid exposure is to get a pre-nup (and even that isn't binding in English courts) and not have kids. The second bit is obviously a bit harder, it all depends on your priorities.

The best way to ensure that you are not on the hook for massive amounts of money is to find a wife who is as intelligent and ambitious as you are, who wants to work and have a career, not sit on her butt spending all your cash. That means that if you do come to divorce, the court will weigh up your equal contributions, split the assets 50/50 (which will be fair as she has also contributed half during the marriage) and award no alimony as she is perfectly capable of looking after herself
Reply 44
Rare poster here, I now have some time on my hands, and have been watching many threads, so be gentle and nice with me! This a difficult one and a bit of a minefield. Probably the best solution without causing either embarrassment is to have separate bank accounts, and then have a joint account, for agreed mutual expenditure. Does that sound like a good idea!?
You're not the only one to say that.

You must have a manly online persona. Some how.
Original post by StevieA
Maybe because you're funny and your posts make sense.

Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
Hi Viva..

Didn't you tell me you were a man though :lol:

Sorry guys, I am a bona(lol)fide woman.

Original post by SarcasticMel
What if you became a stay at home mum and didn't work anymore?

Well, that would never happen to me as I don't want children, and if I did ever have them I would still work as much as I could.

Hypothetically, though I would expect some sort of living/childcare expenses that would be mutually agreed before the kid even came about. If I'm going to be investing all my time, effort and foregone career into a kid I'm gonna need some cash.

Original post by ryan9900
Wow, I actually think that's the most sensible thing I've seen a woman say on here. Congratulations, you have my respect.

Gee, thanks mister! Hopefully this next leap will be the leap home.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You must have a manly online persona. Some how.

See first quote :sigh:
(edited 9 years ago)

See first quote :sigh:

:hugs:

There's a lot of guys on here that make no sense whatsoever :tongue:
He should pay for everything.

Not srs

Original post by The vampire
He should pay for everything.

Not srs

You bloody vampires, just want to suck the life force out of us men :huff:
That depends really. I'd have a joint account and separate account, the separate one being mostly for savings. I don't see the need or point to have everything joint, but I'd certainly use the money in it for both of us. I'd expect big purchases to be discussed with me and I'd do the same, and they'd come out of our joint sendings as would any shared expenses like holidays.
I don't think anyone should be entitled to their spouse's money. If you want to make lavish purchases with your spouses money and they don't want to spend it in that way, that's their right. Anything that's shared is something that's given freely rather than an expectation.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You bloody vampires, just want to suck the life force out of us men :huff:

:bootyshake:
Depends but he does work hard for the money so his choice really what he does with it
Original post by Freudian Slip
ITT: People with no experience of marriage making wild assumptions, based on their non-experience of divorce.

I have seen a divorce take almost ten years to settle just because of money. Sharing bank accounts and pensions is a dangerous game.
Original post by Haza2012
I never get when people have separate bank accounts - if your married you surely trust each other to share a joint bank account which all of your money goes into. That way it's not either persons money, it's for both of you. It always annoys me when couples have separate bank accounts and spend their own money - the partner is not ENTITLED, it's their money as well.

You can trust each other but still want to keep some of your finances separate - one of you may be a saver and one a spender etc. Plus, it's easier to keep track of money if you have separate accounts.
The money belongs to he partner who earned it, it's not the other partner's money. If the partner earning chooses to share that's a choice they can make, their partner doesn't just get to take stuff from them because they're married.
Original post by joker12345
You can trust each other but still want to keep some of your finances separate - one of you may be a saver and one a spender etc. Plus, it's easier to keep track of money if you have separate accounts.
The money belongs to he partner who earned it, it's not the other partner's money. If the partner earning chooses to share that's a choice they can make, their partner doesn't just get to take stuff from them because they're married.

Rare that I agree with you but this is actually a very good explanation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest