The Student Room Group

showing that a set S in not a rational interval

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DFranklin
No. Why do you care whether b is in S?

Oh no, I don't do I? I just need to show that for a 2<b22 < b^2 there will be a smaller rational x2x^2 also greater than 2. I think the reason I was worried about whether it was in SS or not was because I didn't really understand what I was trying to find when dealing with numbers outside the set SS but I think I just had a "click" moment.
Thank you again.
I hate to say it, but there seems to be a massive hole in the argument I'm trying to make you take, which I wrote down at the beginning and missed completely. I'll have to come back to this later though.

--------------------------------

OK. Here is a proper argument. It runs very much along the lines of the previous one but actually makes sense this time, I think.

1. Consider S={xQ:x22}S= \{ x \in \mathbb{Q} : x^2 \le 2 \} and P={xQ:bxb}P = \{ x \in \mathbb{Q} : -b \le x \le b \} .

We claim that for all bQb \in \mathbb{Q}, SP S \neq P i.e. that there either exists xSx \in S with xPx \notin P or xPx \in P with xSx \notin S

2. For all bQb \in \mathbb{Q}, we have either:

a) b2<2b^2 < 2 or
b) b2>2b^2 > 2

3. We prove the result for case a):

Consider x=b+ϵx = b+\epsilon with 0<ϵ<2b22b+1<10 < \epsilon < \frac{2-b^2}{2b+1} < 1. Then we have:

x2=(b+ϵ)2<b2+ϵ(2b+1)<b2+2b22b+1(2b+1)=2x^2 = (b+\epsilon)^2 < b^2 + \epsilon(2b+1) < b^2 + \frac{2-b^2}{2b+1}(2b+1) = 2

Hence x2<2xSx^2 < 2 \Rightarrow x \in S but x=b+ϵ>bxPx = b+\epsilon > b \Rightarrow x \notin P

4. We prove the result for case b):

To be done by so it goes, along the lines of her somewhat incorrect attempt above.

so it goes: Your final line should say:

Hence 2<x2xS2 < x^2 \Rightarrow x \notin S but x<bxPx < b \Rightarrow x \in P
(edited 9 years ago)
similar to the BMO maths problem in 2005 or 2006 i think or 2004.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by atsruser
I hate to say it, but there seems to be a massive hole in the argument I'm trying to make you take, which I wrote down at the beginning and missed completely. I'll have to come back to this later though.

--------------------------------

OK. Here is a proper argument. It runs very much along the lines of the previous one but actually makes sense this time, I think.

1. Consider S={xQ:x22}S= \{ x \in \mathbb{Q} : x^2 \le 2 \} and P={xQ:bxb}P = \{ x \in \mathbb{Q} : -b \le x \le b \} .

We claim that for all bQb \in \mathbb{Q}, SP S \neq P i.e. that there either exists xSx \in S with xPx \notin P or xPx \in P with xSx \notin S

2. For all bQb \in \mathbb{Q}, we have either:

a) b2<2b^2 < 2 or
b) b2>2b^2 > 2

3. We prove the result for case a):

Consider x=b+ϵx = b+\epsilon with 0<ϵ<2b22b+1<10 < \epsilon < \frac{2-b^2}{2b+1} < 1. Then we have:

x2=(b+ϵ)2<b2+ϵ(2b+1)<b2+2b22b+1(2b+1)=2x^2 = (b+\epsilon)^2 < b^2 + \epsilon(2b+1) < b^2 + \frac{2-b^2}{2b+1}(2b+1) = 2

Hence x2<2xSx^2 < 2 \Rightarrow x \in S but x=b+ϵ>bxPx = b+\epsilon > b \Rightarrow x \notin P

4. We prove the result for case b):

To be done by so it goes, along the lines of her somewhat incorrect attempt above.

so it goes: Your final line should say:

Hence 2<x2xS2 < x^2 \Rightarrow x \notin S but x<bxPx < b \Rightarrow x \in P

Original post by DFranklin

case b)

Consider x=bϵx = b-\epsilon with 0<2b212b<ϵ<1 0 < \frac{2-b^2}{1-2b} < \epsilon < 1. Then we have:

x2=(bϵ)2<b2+ϵ(12b)>b2+2b212b(12b)=2x^2 = (b-\epsilon)^2 < b^2 + \epsilon(1-2b) > b^2 + \frac{2-b^2}{1-2b}(1-2b) = 2

Hence x2<b2+ϵ(12b)>22<x2x^2 < b^2 + \epsilon(1-2b) > 2 \Rightarrow 2 < x^2 ? I don't think I can say this, but if I can it implies that xS x \notin S but x<bxPx < b \Rightarrow x \in P

I tried using the fact that 0<ϵ0 < \epsilon to show that 2<x22<x^2 but all it gave me was that x2<b2x^2 < b^2

Perhaps I have my inequality for ϵ\epsilon wrong? I worked it out by saying:

x2=(bϵ)2x^2 = (b-\epsilon)^2

2<b22bϵ+ϵ2\Rightarrow 2 < b^2 - 2b\epsilon + \epsilon ^2

2<b2+ϵ(ϵ)2b\Rightarrow2 < b^2 + \epsilon (\epsilon )-2b but 0<ϵ<10<\epsilon<1

2<b2+ϵ(12b)\Rightarrow2<b^2 + \epsilon (1-2b)

ϵ>2b212b\Rightarrow \epsilon > \dfrac{2-b^2}{1-2b}

0<2b212b<ϵ<1\Rightarrow 0 < \dfrac{2-b^2}{1-2b} < \epsilon < 1

Thank you :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by physicsmaths
similar to the BMO maths problem in 2005 or 2006 i think or 2004.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh cool, thanks :biggrin:
Original post by so it goes
case b)

Consider x=bϵx = b-\epsilon with 0<2b212b<ϵ<1 0 < \frac{2-b^2}{1-2b} < \epsilon < 1. Then we have:

x2=(bϵ)2<b2+ϵ(12b)>b2+2b212b(12b)=2x^2 = (b-\epsilon)^2 < b^2 + \epsilon(1-2b) > b^2 + \frac{2-b^2}{1-2b}(1-2b) = 2

Note that in this case, you want to show 2<x22 < x^2, so your inequality stumbles at the first step, when you write x2=(bϵ)2<x^2 = (b-\epsilon)^2 < . You then try to turn things around by introducing an inequality going the other way, but that's doomed to fail, I'm afraid.

Look at the following:

x2=(bϵ)2=b22bϵ+ϵ2>?>2x^2 = (b-\epsilon)^2 = b^2 -2b\epsilon +\epsilon^2 > \text{?} > 2

We want b22bϵ+ϵ2b^2 -2b\epsilon +\epsilon^2 to be bigger (i.e more positive) than "something". That means that it must be that "something" + "something > 0". If you look at that expression, then you should be able to identify "something > 0" rather easily. (Hint: what is the range of f:xx2f: x \mapsto x^2?)
Reply 26
Note that in this case, you want to show 2<x22 < x^2, so your inequality stumbles at the first step, when you write x2=(bϵ)2<x^2 = (b-\epsilon)^2 < . You then try to turn things around by introducing an inequality going the other way, but that's doomed to fail, I'm afraid.

Look at the following:

x2=(bϵ)2=b22bϵ+ϵ2>?>2x^2 = (b-\epsilon)^2 = b^2 -2b\epsilon +\epsilon^2 > \text{?} > 2

We want b22bϵ+ϵ2b^2 -2b\epsilon +\epsilon^2 to be bigger (i.e more positive) than "something". That means that it must be that "something" + "something > 0". If you look at that expression, then you should be able to identify "something > 0" rather easily. (Hint: what is the range of f:xx2f: x \mapsto x^2?)

This is what I've been able to come up with. However I don't think it really works as at one point I say "for 0<b<20<b<\sqrt{2}" however for part b) I'm working with b2>2b^2 > 2 so this doesn't make much sense.

b22bϵ+ϵ2>b22bϵ>b22b(2b2)12bb^2 - 2b\epsilon + \epsilon ^2 > b^2 - 2b\epsilon > b^2 - \dfrac{2b(2-b^2)}{1-2b} as ϵ>2b212b\epsilon > \dfrac{2-b^2}{1-2b}

b22bϵ+ϵ2>b24b12b\Rightarrow b^2 - 2b\epsilon + \epsilon ^2 > \dfrac{b^2 - 4b}{1-2b}

for 0<b<20<b<\sqrt{2} we know b24b12b>2\dfrac{b^2 - 4b}{1-2b} > 2

Therefore b22bϵ+ϵ2>2b^2 - 2b\epsilon + \epsilon ^2 > 2

Therefore x2>2x^2 > 2

I've also tried saying b22bϵ+ϵ2>2bϵ+ϵ2b^2 - 2b\epsilon + \epsilon ^2 > -2b\epsilon + \epsilon ^2 and b22bϵ+ϵ2>2bϵb^2 - 2b\epsilon + \epsilon ^2 > -2b\epsilon but I couldn't get either of them to work. Should I have another look at one of them?

Thank you :biggrin:
This is what I've been able to come up with. However I don't think it really works as at one point I say "for 0<b<20<b<\sqrt{2}" however for part b) I'm working with b2>2b^2 > 2 so this doesn't make much sense.

You seem to be losing track of what you are actually trying to show. (It's very easy to do this, sadly). You have made some progress, but then you go off on a tangent.

You wrote:

b22bϵ+ϵ2>b22bϵ>b22b(2b2)12bb^2 - 2b\epsilon + \epsilon ^2 > b^2 - 2b\epsilon > b^2 - \dfrac{2b(2-b^2)}{1-2b} as ϵ>2b212b\epsilon > \dfrac{2-b^2}{1-2b}

However, you seem to have some preconceived idea of a condition on ϵ\epsilon already. However, it is *precisely that condition* that we are trying to find. We don't yet know how small ϵ\epsilon must be. We want to say:

if ϵ<some expression only in b\epsilon < \text{some expression only in b} then x2>2x^2 > 2

So let's take what you wrote and modify it a bit:

x2=b22bϵ+ϵ2>b22bϵ>?x^2 = b^2 - 2b\epsilon + \epsilon ^2 > b^2 - 2b\epsilon > \text{?}

I have:

a) added x2x^2 at the beginning to remind you that this is the quantity for which you want to find an inequality - all of the b,ϵb, \epsilon stuff is merely a sideshow in finding this inequality and

b) stuck ? at the end.

Questions:

1. What should I have written in place of ? to get our desired inequality
2. Does this allow you to find a condition on ϵ\epsilon that makes x2>2x^2 > 2? If so, how?

One other point: it may help if you sketched out the required locations of 2,x,b\sqrt{2}, x, b on a number line, and then thought about the inequality that implies on ϵ\epsilon - do we want ϵ\epsilon bigger or smaller than something i.e. are we looking for ϵ>?\epsilon > \text{?} or ϵ<?\epsilon < \text{?} (For example, since x=bϵx = b - \epsilon, and bb is, say a bit bigger than 2\sqrt{2}, then if we make ϵ\epsilon quite big, then we could make x0x \approx 0. Would that be any good for our inequality?)
Reply 28
One other point: it may help if you sketched out the required locations of 2,x,b\sqrt{2}, x, b on a number line, and then thought about the inequality that implies on ϵ\epsilon - do we want ϵ\epsilon bigger or smaller than something i.e. are we looking for ϵ>?\epsilon > \text{?} or ϵ<?\epsilon < \text{?} (For example, since x=bϵx = b - \epsilon, and bb is, say a bit bigger than 2\sqrt{2}, then if we make ϵ\epsilon quite big, then we could make x0x \approx 0. Would that be any good for our inequality?)

I don't think this would be good as we want to find an xx between 2\sqrt{2} and bb so I'm thinking we should keep ϵ<b2\epsilon < b - \sqrt{2}?

You seem to be losing track of what you are actually trying to show. (It's very easy to do this, sadly). You have made some progress, but then you go off on a tangent.

You wrote:

However, you seem to have some preconceived idea of a condition on ϵ\epsilon already. However, it is *precisely that condition* that we are trying to find. We don't yet know how small ϵ\epsilon must be. We want to say:

if ϵ<some expression only in b\epsilon < \text{some expression only in b} then x2>2x^2 > 2

So let's take what you wrote and modify it a bit:

x2=b22bϵ+ϵ2>b22bϵ>?x^2 = b^2 - 2b\epsilon + \epsilon ^2 > b^2 - 2b\epsilon > \text{?}

I have:

a) added x2x^2 at the beginning to remind you that this is the quantity for which you want to find an inequality - all of the b,ϵb, \epsilon stuff is merely a sideshow in finding this inequality and

b) stuck ? at the end.

Questions:

1. What should I have written in place of ? to get our desired inequality
2. Does this allow you to find a condition on ϵ\epsilon that makes x2>2x^2 > 2? If so, how?

If I say:

x2=b22bϵ+ϵ2>b22bϵ>2x^2 = b^2 -2b \epsilon + \epsilon ^2 > b^2 -2b\epsilon > 2

If ϵ>b222bb22bϵ>2\epsilon > \dfrac{b^2 -2}{2b} \Rightarrow b^2 - 2b\epsilon > 2

ϵ>b222b\Rightarrow \epsilon > \dfrac{b^2 -2}{2b}

If ϵ>b222bx2>b2(b22)+(b22)24b2x2>b4+4b2+44b2>2\epsilon > \dfrac{b^2 - 2}{2b} \Rightarrow x^2 > b^2 - (b^2 - 2) + \dfrac{(b^2 - 2)^2}{4b^2} \Rightarrow x^2 > \dfrac{b^4 + 4b^2 + 4}{4b^2} > 2 from graph

2<x2<b2\Rightarrow 2 < x^2 < b^2

Does that look okay?
I don't think this would be good as we want to find an xx between 2\sqrt{2} and bb so I'm thinking we should keep ϵ<b2\epsilon < b - \sqrt{2}?

The precise details are unimportant here, but the point is the we need to keep ϵ\epsilon pretty small, so x=bϵx = b-\epsilon fits between 2\sqrt{2} and bb.

Remember that we're thinking about the bb's that are very, very close to 2\sqrt{2} and the closer they are, the smaller we will have to make ϵ\epsilon. So:

1. ϵ\epsilon must be less than something.
2. That something must depend on (i.e. be a function of) bb

If I say:

x2=b22bϵ+ϵ2>b22bϵ>2x^2 = b^2 -2b \epsilon + \epsilon ^2 > b^2 -2b\epsilon > 2

This is good. But then you have the implications (and inequality) going the wrong way. Instead of

If ϵ>b222bb22bϵ>2\epsilon > \dfrac{b^2 -2}{2b} \Rightarrow b^2 - 2b\epsilon > 2

You want x2>b22bϵ>2b2>2+2bϵb222b>ϵx^2 > b^2 -2b\epsilon > 2 \Rightarrow b^2 > 2+ 2b\epsilon \Rightarrow \dfrac{b^2 -2}{2b} > \epsilon

And now you're done. We have imposed the requirement that x2>2x^2 > 2 and found that it implies that b222b>ϵ\dfrac{b^2 -2}{2b} > \epsilon .

So as long as we make ϵ\epsilon at least that small, for any given value of bb, we have found xx with 2<x2xS2 < x^2 \Rightarrow x \notin S and x<bxPx < b \Rightarrow x \in P, which is what we wanted.

ϵ>b222b\Rightarrow \epsilon > \dfrac{b^2 -2}{2b}

If ϵ>b222bx2>b2(b22)+(b22)24b2x2>b4+4b2+44b2>2\epsilon > \dfrac{b^2 - 2}{2b} \Rightarrow x^2 > b^2 - (b^2 - 2) + \dfrac{(b^2 - 2)^2}{4b^2} \Rightarrow x^2 > \dfrac{b^4 + 4b^2 + 4}{4b^2} > 2 from graph

2<x2<b2\Rightarrow 2 < x^2 < b^2

Does that look okay?

This is unnecessary and wrong since your ϵ\epsilon inequality is going the wrong way (and I'm not sure about your final b4b^4 inequality - why is that greater than 2?). Once we have found the condition on ϵ\epsilon, we are guaranteed that 2<x22 < x^2 - we don't need to do any more work to show it.
Reply 30
The precise details are unimportant here, but the point is the we need to keep ϵ\epsilon pretty small, so x=bϵx = b-\epsilon fits between 2\sqrt{2} and bb.

Remember that we're thinking about the bb's that are very, very close to 2\sqrt{2} and the closer they are, the smaller we will have to make ϵ\epsilon. So:

1. ϵ\epsilon must be less than something.
2. That something must depend on (i.e. be a function of) bb

This is good. But then you have the implications (and inequality) going the wrong way. Instead of

You want x2>b22bϵ>2b2>2+2bϵb222b>ϵx^2 > b^2 -2b\epsilon > 2 \Rightarrow b^2 > 2+ 2b\epsilon \Rightarrow \dfrac{b^2 -2}{2b} > \epsilon

And now you're done. We have imposed the requirement that x2>2x^2 > 2 and found that it implies that b222b>ϵ\dfrac{b^2 -2}{2b} > \epsilon .

So as long as we make ϵ\epsilon at least that small, for any given value of bb, we have found xx with 2<x2xS2 < x^2 \Rightarrow x \notin S and x<bxPx < b \Rightarrow x \in P, which is what we wanted.

Thank you so much! This question makes so much more sense now. You'be been super patient and helpful and I really appreciate it :biggrin:

If I'm remembering this correctly, because x2x^2 is symmetrical does proving it for the positives imply it for the negatives?

This is unnecessary and wrong since your ϵ\epsilon inequality is going the wrong way (and I'm not sure about your final b4b^4 inequality - why is that greater than 2?).

I tried plotting y=x4+4x2+44x2y = \dfrac{x^4 +4x^2 +4}{4x^2} and found that it was symmetrical about the y-axis with minimum turning points at (±2,2)(\pm \sqrt{2}, 2)

Once we have found the condition on ϵ\epsilon, we are guaranteed that 2<x22 < x^2 - we don't need to do any more work to show it.

Oh, of course, thank you. I think I was losing track of what I was trying to show again.

Thank you! :biggrin:
If I'm remembering this correctly, because x2x^2 is symmetrical does proving it for the positives imply it for the negatives?

Well, I made a kind of handwaving argument to that effect, but maybe you should try to justify it properly. Also the original question raised the possibility of strict/non-strict inequalities at either end of the interval e.g. a<xb a < x \le b and so on. I have given no thought to that (and indeed can't be bothered to :smile:). I think DFranklin made a comment about this earlier somewhere.

I tried plotting y=x4+4x2+44x2y = \dfrac{x^4 +4x^2 +4}{4x^2} and found that it was symmetrical about the y-axis with minimum turning points at (±2,2)(\pm \sqrt{2}, 2)

That doesn't really cut the mustard, but as you don't need that inequality for this question, it doesn't matter too much. Maybe you ought to practise a bit of inequality manipulation though. It's very useful in analysis.

Do you fully understand the way that I suggested proving this i.e. can you see the logic in creating two sets SS and PP and showing that they can never contain the same elements?
Reply 32
Well, I made a kind of handwaving argument to that effect, but maybe you should try to justify it properly. Also the original question raised the possibility of strict/non-strict inequalities at either end of the interval e.g. a<xb a < x \le b and so on. I have given no thought to that (and indeed can't be bothered to :smile:). I think DFranklin made a comment about this earlier somewhere.

Ahh, okay. Thanks, I'll try and figure those out :biggrin:

Do you fully understand the way that I suggested proving this i.e. can you see the logic in creating two sets S and P and showing that they can never contain the same elements?

I definitely see the logic behind it - it wouldn't have occurred to me to do that (hopefully it will in the future though) but I can see what it's doing.

Thank you again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest