The Student Room Group

'Straight white guy festival' causes controversy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Truths
They do. That is my point.

There are 6 black people currently in the top 40. All of them are international acts. In this country however, there has been intense white washing in the past 5 years, especially in black/urban music to the point that black people do not have a fair chance in their own genre. Over the past 6/7 years here is the list of British white women famous for making black music:

Duffy
Adele
Joss Stone
Rita Ora
Natasha Bedingfield
Cheryl Cole
Amy Winehouse
Pixie Lott
Paloma Faith
Jessie J
Eliza Doolittle
Katy B

The list goes on. And that's just females. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a black female making black music and receiving support. They may chuck in a lightskin/mixed race racially ambiguous girl in the mix once in while, but they never really support them. As As enormously talented Alexandra Burke was, she was forced to make pop music, and even then she was blacklisted by pop radio. The last black women to make it big makin black music was Emeli Sande and that didn't happen until she bleached her skin and hair to the point that she was unrecognizable. It is no secret that the music industry prefers black voices with white faces (Exibit Z: Sam Smith), but it has become a bit too extreme when BBC 1xtra crowns a ginger white guy the most important act in black music.

I see it as a micro aggression because asking someone where their from, is implying that they are out of place, not belonging or to return. Everyone has a background, I have never heard someone ask a white person that question, and I don't like to be asked that question at my own work place. I find it disrespectful.

First of all what is 'black music'? Can you name any that doesn't have some European influence in there?

Nicki Minaj seems to being doing quite well, as does Rihanna. Beyonce, Kelly Rowland ... I don't even like Pop music

I counted 5/20 of the top 20 being black. 1 in 4 compared to 3 in 100 of the UK population. I think the people who should be aggrieved here are Asian.

I get asked where I'm from all the time. Also someone asking where someone/thing is from does not mean it is out of place. You have inferred that yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by thechemistress
Honestly, I would trade places with any of you white, straight males in an instant.

Original post by Truths
Right. Which is why it bugs the hell out of me when White people say that Blacks have it easier. I would trade my rhythm and seasoning for their privilege any day, in a heartbeat.

just curious. why?

Original post by thechemistress
I don't understand why some people on here are so eager to be seen as oppressed? Oppression is not a good thing.

I'll explain why.
People who are "oppressed" as you put it, have certain benefits.

1. the world is expected to care about you.
2. you have rallying support. an example of this would be if a black person and a white person are arguing the black person can pull the racist card to smear the white persons reputation, thus voiding their point whilst also rallying crowed support. for example if you watch akala vs tommy robinson on the bbc show "Free Speech" you will notice how the asian women on the panel calls tommy robinson racist. yet cannot back it up. tommy robinson asks for proof. but yet the crowed merely just starts to gang up on him and shout over him to try and silence him. thats an example.

3. being "oppressed" means you can pretty much do what ever you want and blame it on oppression. for example palestine is pretty much allowed to do what ever they want and the world will still blame israel because they are the minority underdog.
4. being "oppressed" gives you exclusive rights to complain. it also gives you the right to tell others to "shut up" because they "dont know how it is to be like you"
5. being "oppressed" grants you "special" treatment and funding. for example there is such thing as a "black access course" and its ran better than just the standard "access course"
6. most of all it gives you the right to complain. you can tell everyone to shut up and respect your struggle. you can silence people. you can talk over people. you can claim your "needs" are more important than others.

2 children. 1 has eaten 3/4 of a pizza. 1 has eaten 1/4. both demand more pizza.
people will think that the child with 1/4 pizza is deserving and that their demands are legitimate. the 3/4 pizza child's demands are deemed spoilt and void.

people. try to portray themselves as the 1/4 pizza child so that they can legitimise their demands.

the voice of the non oppressed is not valued. thats why you even catch welsh people trying to act like some oppressed mass that was colonised by britain. which just represents how much of a joke its become.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mick.w
just curious. why?

I'll explain why.
People who are "oppressed" as you put it, have certain benefits.

1. the world is expected to care about you.
2. you have rallying support. an example of this would be if a black person and a white person are arguing the black person can pull the racist card to smear the white persons reputation, thus voiding their point whilst also rallying crowed support. for example if you watch akala vs tommy robinson on the bbc show "Free Speech" you will notice how the asian women on the panel calls tommy robinson racist. yet cannot back it up. tommy robinson asks for proof. but yet the crowed merely just starts to gang up on him and shout over him to try and silence him. thats an example.

3. being "oppressed" means you can pretty much do what ever you want and blame it on oppression. for example palestine is pretty much allowed to do what ever they want and the world will still blame israel because they are the minority underdog.
4. being "oppressed" gives you exclusive rights to complain. it also gives you the right to tell others to "shut up" because they "dont know how it is to be like you"
5. being "oppressed" grants you "special" treatment and funding. for example there is such thing as a "black access course" and its ran better than just the standard "access course"
6. most of all it gives you the right to complain. you can tell everyone to shut up and respect your struggle. you can silence people. you can talk over people. you can claim your "needs" are more important than others.

2 children. 1 has eaten 3/4 of a pizza. 1 has eaten 1/4. both demand more pizza.
people will think that the child with 1/4 pizza is deserving and that their demands are legitimate. the 3/4 pizza child's demands are deemed spoilt and void.

people. try to portray themselves as the 1/4 pizza child so that they can legitimise their demands.

the voice of the non oppressed is not valued. thats why you even catch welsh people trying to act like some oppressed mass that was colonised by britain. which just represents how much of a joke its become.

Headshot.

As for the bold yes that is just hilarious. Whenever confronted by one, I pull out the Irish card and engage in a privilege war.
Original post by Truths
They do. That is my point.

There are 6 black people currently in the top 40. All of them are international acts. In this country however, there has been intense white washing in the past 5 years, especially in black/urban music to the point that black people do not have a fair chance in their own genre. Over the past 6/7 years here is the list of British white women famous for making black music:

Duffy
Adele
Joss Stone
Rita Ora
Natasha Bedingfield
Cheryl Cole
Amy Winehouse
Pixie Lott
Paloma Faith
Jessie J
Eliza Doolittle
Katy B

The list goes on. And that's just females. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a black female making black music and receiving support. They may chuck in a lightskin/mixed race racially ambiguous girl in the mix once in while, but they never really support them. As As enormously talented Alexandra Burke was, she was forced to make pop music, and even then she was blacklisted by pop radio. The last black women to make it big makin black music was Emeli Sande and that didn't happen until she bleached her skin and hair to the point that she was unrecognizable. It is no secret that the music industry prefers black voices with white faces (Exibit Z: Sam Smith), but it has become a bit too extreme when BBC 1xtra crowns a ginger white guy the most important act in black music.

I see it as a micro aggression because asking someone where their from, is implying that they are out of place, not belonging or to return. Everyone has a background, I have never heard someone ask a white person that question, and I don't like to be asked that question at my own work place. I find it disrespectful.

tbh its all just a tradition thats been around since elvis.

black people (meaning non african) have to be ultra creative to try and fill the gap of where their african culture used to be. most of black music is promoted by whites, for whites and has been so at least since jazz music.

people like elvis and eminem become sensational because of their cross racially talented exoticness. then the majority of white audiences find it easier to relate to a white rapper.
There are some legitimate issues here, the biggest one being the police (although racism is just part of the issue with them).

The rest of it seems to be a victim complex.
Original post by Rakas21
This sounds like my kind of festival.

While im all for minority rights the fact that we dont also elect white and straight officers in the NUS ect.. Is b
Very discriminatory.

The NUS discriminate as much as they possibly can with out it being deemed discrimination. They don't let certain universities join if they do not meet certain criteria. If you are white or straight (sometime even male) the NUS do not care about you.

My university isn't part of NUS and our Equality and Diversity Officer is a straight white male. We don't have a "minority officer" or a "womens officer" or any other kind of weird officer role which means practically nothing. What a uni needs is one person to speak for all members not segregation.
Original post by TheAnusFiles

First of all what is 'black music'? Can you name any that doesn't have some European influence in there?

Duffy
Adele
Joss Stone
Amy Winehouse
Paloma Faith

Are clear carbon copies of what was produced either in the Jazz, Soul, Motown movement by African Americans, 5 decades ago.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by European influences? If you mean Europop, those girls I listed did not follow that format. Pop alone, isn't really a genre, it is more of a format, pretty much any song with a chorus, verse and is under 6 minutes is a pop song. Pop doesn't belong to Europe. The rest of the girls most breakthrough songs were clearly RnB/Urban, but If I must spell it out to you:

Natasha Bedingfield - These Words was a rnb song, sung over a hip hop beat
Cheryl Cole - Fight For This Love was her debut, signature song and it was clearly Pop and RnB
Rita Ora - Signature hit R.I.P was RnB first and foremost. And her whole image is a reflection of black culture. People even thought she was black on her debut.

You can research the rest.

Nicki Minaj seems to being doing quite well, as does Rihanna.

I counted 5/20 of the top 20 being black. 1 in 4 compared to 3 in 100 of the UK population. I think the people who should be aggrieved here are Asian.

As I said, Nicki Minaj & Rihanna are international acts. Why isn't British Radio supporting our own black urban acts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/singles

Look at it again. 1 black British act on the top 40 and she's mixed race? Really?

Original post by Mick.w

That's because some people abuse the idea for their own gains. Like how some jews falsely claimed to be holocaust survivors to sell books which caused conspiracy theorists to say 'look, there's proof the holocaust was a fabrication all along!".
Original post by DiddyDec
The NUS discriminate as much as they possibly can with out it being deemed discrimination. They don't let certain universities join if they do not meet certain criteria. If you are white or straight (sometime even male) the NUS do not care about you.

My university isn't part of NUS and our Equality and Diversity Officer is a straight white male. We don't have a "minority officer" or a "womens officer" or any other kind of weird officer role which means practically nothing. What a uni needs is one person to speak for all members not segregation.

Or have a team of members representing a variety of faiths and races as one unit, as opposed to being 'delegates' from the different groups.

I have to say I don't get what these people do though? My friend is gay and I never saw him have anything to do with the LGBT officer
Headshot.

As for the bold yes that is just hilarious. Whenever confronted by one, I pull out the Irish card and engage in a privilege war.

the joke is irish people are still really screwed over in the uk.
but as a people. we just don't care about "our fellow irishmen/women"
culturally irish people (especially those from the republic) care more about individualism than solidarity.

but in the uk.
young british men of irish heritage are stopped and searched to the same frequency of young black men. there is a difference though. the stopping and searching of black men is geographically irrelevant. meaning no matter where they go in the country the statistics stay the same. irish stop and searching is based around community focused policing. so that means as an irish lad they won't stop and search you if your in an asian area. but they will if your back in your community.

irish and blacks have the highest prison population of any minority group.

irish and blacks have the highest rates of schizophrenia. schizophrenia often being associated with trauma.

irish communities are often housed int he worse of the worst areas in the uk.

the irish population in the uk has the highest rates of suicide and are 3 times more likely to commit suicide than any other ethnic minority.

irish people are also more likely to die as a result of a violent death.

irish death rates of cancer, lung and heart issues are abnormally. high.

all of these statistics get worse with the second generation of irish people born in the uk with british accents. data was increasingly difficult to accumulate for 3rd generation irish.

however when i've seen guys in prison. i am quite astonished at how many of the white prisoners have irish second names.

st patricks day was banned in london up until 2001 or 2005. i can't remember which one but its one of those.

anyway no one cares about the irish. not even our own.

but you don't hear us complaining.
Or have a team of members representing a variety of faiths and races as one unit, as opposed to being 'delegates' from the different groups.

I have to say I don't get what these people do though? My friend is gay and I never saw him have anything to do with the LGBT officer

I'm not entirely sure what the Equality and Diversity Officer actually does, it probably doesn't help that I am the Equality and Diversity officer.
Original post by Truths
Duffy
Adele
Joss Stone
Amy Winehouse
Paloma Faith

Are clear carbon copies of what was produced either in the Jazz, Soul, Motown movement by African Americans, 5 decades ago.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by European influences? If you mean Europop, those girls I listed did not follow that format. Pop alone, isn't really a genre, it is more of a format, pretty much any song with a chorus, verse and is under 6 minutes is a pop song. Pop doesn't belong to Europe. The rest of the girls most breakthrough songs were clearly RnB/Urban, but If I must spell it out to you:

Natasha Bedingfield - These Words was a rnb song, sung over a hip hop beat
Cheryl Cole - Fight For This Love was her debut, signature song and it was clearly Pop and RnB
Rita Ora - Signature hit R.I.P was RnB first and foremost. And her whole image is a reflection of black culture. People even thought she was black on her debut.

You can research the rest.

As I said, Nicki Minaj & Rihanna are international acts. Why isn't British Radio supporting our own black urban acts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/singles

Look at it again. 1 black British act on the top 40 and she's mixed race? Really?

1 in 40 is equal to the number of black people in Britain, even before you compensate for the number of Americans in the charts. The real issue here is the lack of Asian representation in anything but you don't seem to care

As I said, there is no music in the charts that is exclusively of African or European origins. I don't see people saying that black artists cannot use time signatures (which are European), the European scale system or European devised electronic style music that Tinie Tempah etc use?
(edited 9 years ago)
What straight white guy is gonna go to a festival with no gally???????
Original post by Mick.w
people like elvis and eminem become sensational because of their cross racially talented exoticness. then the majority of white audiences find it easier to relate to a white rapper.

I don't believe this for a second. In 2004, there were only black musicians who had #1 in the Billboard Hot 100. In 2013, not one black person had a solo #1 . Look at how diverse I charts were in 2004. Of course white people will always have the advantage, but clearly we there is an agenda and black artists are transgressing.
Original post by Truths
I don't believe this for a second. In 2004, there were only black musicians who had #1 in the Billboard Hot 100. In 2013, not one black person had a solo #1 . Look at how diverse I charts were in 2004. Of course white people will always have the advantage, but clearly we there is an agenda and black artists are transgressing.

so your saying that the success of Eminem was not the "novelty" of him being a white guy who does black things really well?

whilst i've already confirmed that yes white people still control the gates of access from black artists. you have not agreed or confirmed this.

you're saying an agenda. which i guess your saying is a different agenda to the ones i've mentioned.

what do you think the agenda is?
Original post by Truths
I would say for the black youth it is specifically in stop and search statistics, and harassment from the police.

Maybe the "black youth" demographic should not commit crime at a rate 8 times higher than their white counterparts then. Most people want the police to be efficient and targeted stop and search is one such tool.

I would say that the white supremacy in our entertainment industry is disheartening.

Oh? Last I heard, the British Film Industry was telling filmmakers that if they did not have a minimum of 30% of "diversity" (read: non-white), they would be denied funding.

Everyday microaggressions like the question "where are you from?" as opposed to, "what is your ethnic background?" is a constant reminder that I am seen as an outsider and am not seen as a legitimate citizen in the UK.

In 1951 there were ~20,000 non-whites in the UK the vast majority of which were born abroad. It is natural therefore to assume that a non-white is either a recent immigrant or a descendent of recent immigrants. Not proud of your ancestry?

Black people reportedly being denied housing on the basis of race, that might explain why blacks tend to be congregated in poorer, underdeveloped boroughs that have less promise and opportunity. It's systematic, it goes deeper than doctrine, yet it's covert and leads people into a false sense of security. Kind of what the US are trying to do but I guess more people are awake over there. That may be a cause for black pride, although we don't have that in the UK so w/e.

That would be down to individual landlords exercising their own free will to choose their tenants, however as you can see the state has declared discrimination on grounds of race to be illegal so it is hardly systematic.
1 in 40 is equal to the number of black people in Britain, even before you compensate for the number of Americans in the charts. The real issue here is the lack of Asian representation in anything but you don't seem to care

As I said, there is no music in the charts that is exclusively of African or European origins. I don't see people saying that black artists cannot use time signatures (which are European), the European scale system or European devised electronic style music that Tinie Tempah etc use?

Did you just say Europeans invented the 4/4 time? When did 4/4 become a genre? 4/4 existed just as long as music has existed, white people just bothered given it a name. That is all. Oh, and little did you know that so many of those electro based genre's, black people pioneered.

Original post by Truths
Did you just say Europeans invented the 4/4 time? When did 4/4 become a genre? 4/4 existed just as long as music has existed, white people just bothered given it a name. That is all. Oh, and little did you know that so many of those electro based genre's, black people pioneered.

Nope. It was German kraut rock that pioneered the use of synthesisers. And the mechanics of music that are used to day such as keys, and time signatures are European
Original post by Truths
x

Original post by thesabbath
x

Ah I was waiting for this moment. This is truly beautiful. A black racist with a victim complex who thinks that black people invented everything meets a white racist who thinks the Jews are trying to destroy the white race.

This is one of those moments.
Reply 379
I think it should be called "Straight British Ethnicity Guy Festival.''

Because ''White Guy" does indeed sound... controversial.

If you're celebrating British heritage pride and all that, then great!
But putting ''white" in there gives off a racist tone. It puts all white people together in a box, and gets a lot of the PC brigade angry.

BTW, I say this as an Eastern European..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending