The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For us the British; The correlation is more with class and academic ability not money.

Overt shows of cash and money are glorified by foreigners but is generally not held in high regard here, if you're into that sort of thing you have to know how to do it.

Sorry that's a fact money don't buy class here.
Reply 301
Original post by clh_hilary
Oxford has the highest percentage of undergraduates coming from a public school background.

I wouldn't have imagined there had been a study on how many people from public school backgrounds attend each university; private school backgrounds yes, but not pubic school. Perhaps I'm wrong. In my public school there wasn't a lot that went to Oxbridge at all (well, a respectable amount) because it is, clearly, very hard to get in.
I'm slightly confused by all this can someone please define posh? Are we talking people who come from old money or are we on about social climbing yuppies and members of the horsie set or what?
Original post by Gabriel96
I wouldn't have imagined there had been a study on how many people from public school backgrounds attend each university; private school backgrounds yes, but not pubic school. Perhaps I'm wrong. In my public school there wasn't a lot that went to Oxbridge at all (well, a respectable amount) because it is, clearly, very hard to get in.

Why not public school, public schools are among the best after private schools, comprehensives are the worst in general and they're the ones that rarely get into Oxbridge.
Reply 304
Original post by tehFrance
Why not public school, public schools are among the best after private schools, comprehensives are the worst in general and they're the ones that rarely get into Oxbridge.

Public schools aren't different to private schools, they're the same thing but just a different type of private school (usually boarding). And in any case, public schools aren't the best after private schools because they're usually better than most private schools. It depends on how you define worst but yes, comprehensives tend to lack the same academic standards as private schools but, nevertheless, the student body at Oxbridge (along with every other university in the UK) predominately come from state schools. My point was that the numbers of students coming from public schools is such a tiny number that it's unlikely that there would be studies completed to find out which university had the most public school pupils - there's lots of studies done to rank universities regarding their private/state school intake but I've never seen, and I suspect there has never been, a study completed regarding the number of public school pupils at each university and, hence, the person would have no way of justifying his claim that Oxford has the most public school students which is where my concern was raised. If anything, I wouldn't expect Oxbridge to have the most public school pupils. I would imagine it would be Bristol (most likely), Durham, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Leeds... one of those but not Oxbridge; these are the universities that public schools send their students to in large numbers, only a few get into Oxbridge (although still usually a respectable amount but not to rival these others universities).
Public schools aren't different to private schools, they're the same thing but just a different type of private school (usually boarding). And in any case, public schools aren't the best after private schools because they're usually better than most private schools. It depends on how you define worst but yes, comprehensives tend to lack the same academic standards as private schools but, nevertheless, the student body at Oxbridge (along with every other university in the UK) predominately come from state schools. My point was that the numbers of students coming from public schools is such a tiny number that it's unlikely that there would be studies completed to find out which university had the most public school pupils - there's lots of studies done to rank universities regarding their private/state school intake but I've never seen, and I suspect there has never been, a study completed regarding the number of public school pupils at each university and, hence, the person would have no way of justifying his claim that Oxford has the most public school students which is where my concern was raised. If anything, I wouldn't expect Oxbridge to have the most public school pupils. I would imagine it would be Bristol (most likely), Durham, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Leeds... one of those but not Oxbridge; these are the universities that public schools send their students to in large numbers, only a few get into Oxbridge (although still usually a respectable amount but not to rival these others universities).

Did you say you attended public school? If you did, why didn't they teach you to paragraph as that's one wall of text I'm not going to read without paragraphs. Learn them, you'll need them when you start uni and go to work.
Reply 306
Did you say you attended public school? If you did, why didn't they teach you to paragraph as that's one wall of text I'm not going to read without paragraphs. Learn them, you'll need them when you start uni and go to work.

My education has noting to do with the points I've raised but yes, I did attend a public school. Oh well, that's your idleness and ignorance so nothing to do with me. If you want to ignore people's arguments with the justification that they were "too long" then all the more shame on you.
My education has noting to do with the points I've raised but yes, I did attend a public school. Oh well, that's your idleness and ignorance so nothing to do with me. If you want to ignore people's arguments with the justification that they were "too long" then all the more shame on you.

My argument isn't that it's too long rather that it's a wall of text that needs paragraphing.
Reply 308
My argument isn't that it's too long rather that it's a wall of text that needs paragraphing.

Then your argument is pathetic - you decided to ignore all my points regarding your original concern over what I was saying and, instead, remind me that I need to use paragraphs? What a cop-out! And besides, it doesn't need paragraphing - it's all one argument which belongs in the same paragraph and isn't even a considerably long one at that.
Then your argument is pathetic - you decided to ignore all my points regarding your original concern over what I was saying and, instead, remind me that I need to use paragraphs? What a cop-out! And besides, it doesn't need paragraphing - it's all one argument which belongs in the same paragraph and isn't even a considerably long one at that.

When people ignore everything you said to tell you that you need to paragraph then you know you've won the argument :wink:
Well not as illustrious an alumni as St Andrews. Jeff Randall? Ohhh. I think you're seriously deluded about the prestige of Nottingham, plenty of people I know have rejected it for other universities - Newcastle, Bath (one you mentioned), Manchester, Kings...

Jeff Randall is just a media person, nothing special.

he even promoted his own university without declaring hie bias !
Just because it isn't in the Russell Group doesn't mean it isn't a top university - anyone would class St Andrews as a top university. Eh, St Andrews does offer medicine? You just sound ridiculous now in denying St Andrews position as a top university. It's been regarded as such for a long time, often described as a refuge for "Oxbridge rejects" and, at any rate, it's certainly more justified as being deemed a top university than either Newcastle or Nottingham by a long shot. It has some of the brightest students from all over the UK and lots from abroad. Oh, speaking or royalty, that's St Andrews and Newcastle that's had royalty; how's Nottingham doing? :wink:

St Andrews is easily better than the Mancs, Notts, Bhams of the world, better even than Warwick i reckon.

old school class
Original post by Mansun
I have said in other threads that Nottingham seems to attract rich, arrogant, immature kids who are ultra competitive and untrustworthy. But that is true of many top unis. Many top students won't go to UCL or Imperial, for the reasons I mentioned before, they want to go somewhere more ''English'' that can offer as good an education as UCL. It might sound unfair and ludicrous, but a lot of students think this way. A lot of rich kids live in and around London, so decide against going to UCL.

And that certainly won't be Notts, half the population there is from PRC !

Hardly English and you know it !
At Andrew's, Edinburgh, Oxford, Cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile
London Met has the posh types of chavs.
Original post by Cobbler
No, that would just be silly.
What would be nice though, if black students thought that if they did apply they might actually be successful. Then more might try.
Cause and effect!

It has a lot to do with the fact that many who could get an offered are discouraged to even consider applying by teachers friends and so on.
Reply 316
Original post by Zenomorph
And that certainly won't be Notts, half the population there is from PRC !

Hardly English and you know it !

Notts has around 25-30% international base, but that is not huge when you consider the student population is 30,000.

St Andrews is easily better than the Mancs, Notts, Bhams of the world, better even than Warwick i reckon.

old school class

Really? And what evidence have you used to back up those assertions? It would have been nice if St Andrews and Bath were allowed into the Russell Group so that once and for all the debate would end whether they are world class research universities, but until that day comes they will be considered below world class.

Just because more posh people go to St Andrews than Notts, Manchester, Birmingham doesn't make it better. A lot of St Andrews students considered posh apply for some obscure ancient language or history of art. They don't do proper courses.

I would say these 3 universities are actually academically better than St Andrews. Manchester is a combination of the old Uni of Manchester & Umist, which makes it an academic powerhouse. Birmingham is still a very good university, I would be just as excited and proud to go there as say Bristol or Durham, and it has a medical and dental school (always nice to see this prestige given that my own background is medical science and biochemistry). Notts has a medical and vet school, plus the top rated pharmacy school in the land.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
Notts has around 25-30% international base, but that is not huge when you consider the student population is 30,000.

You're kidding me that's like 10,000 foreign students ...

No thanks not for me or my rah pals !
Reply 318
You're kidding me that's like 10,000 foreign students ...

No thanks not for me or my rah pals !

Thank goodness, the university attracts a lot of cool people who work hard and play hard. They don't have many geeks.
Original post by Mansun
Thank goodness, the university attracts a lot of cool people who work hard and play hard. They don't have many geeks.

Must be a good place to get top girls then... Hopefully its job prospects are extremely good too. If so, is it a worthy enough place to apply for an economics or maths course, in your opinion?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest