The Student Room Group

Why does TSR allow racism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by n00
I find if you keep reporting you start getting a few extra warnings yourself.

Well if you're reporting posts that go against TSR rules then that does seem to be extremely unfair. If you're abusing the report function then I would agree with a blue card.
Original post by n00
I find if you keep reporting you start getting a few extra warnings yourself.

Thanks for the heads up, I do avoid making frivolous reports, generally stay within the rules myself and usually don't report the same user twice so I don't think I can be seen as a real trouble maker by TSR's staff

Original post by Autistic Merit
Well if you're reporting posts that go against TSR rules then that does seem to be extremely unfair. If you're abusing the report function then I would agree with a blue card.

Exactly this. I mean if the mods treat users who report posts (in a sensible way) at a high frequency, more severely then they clearly don't really want to crack down on rule breaking. Not saying it is true ofc
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Champagning
It's actually downright ridiculous how many racist threads/posts I see on this forum.

Quite frankly, the "anti-hate speech" thing in the rules seems to be a load of rubbish, because there are also a billion anti-woman threads on here every day, which seem to be made by the same people with multiple accounts which I presume is also against the rules.

Now, AFAIK the Student Room is meant to be a student site and not some kind of subtle, pretending-to-be-innocent version of Stormfront.

So why do the moderators here turn such a blind eye to this sort of thing?

Half the racist threads and posts I see would get shut down in under a couple of hours in the other forums I frequent. But here they go on for days and weeks.

Especially given how many people on this site are under 18, TSR really needs to take more responsibility and tighten up application of its modding rules.

I haven't seen any racism on TSR and I look pretty much everywhere, so I don't know what you're on about

Anyway the mods would deal with it. If you see it, alert it and it will be dealt with.

also, multiple accounts ARE allowed, so long as you don't break any rules with them or use them to get around limits, such as rep limits.
Original post by yo radical one
I did report this, which is exactly what the mods tell us to do

A whole hour ago! Oh no, they havent got to this one froma whole hour ago, when they're dealing with a good 20-30 from four/five hours ago....

Also, that thread was binned 15 minutes ago (So 45 minutes, since the thread was created. That's not bad.)

Most people havent even finished work yet! I know I used to finish at five... THen consider how long it takes for them to get home, if they do any other activities etc...

I take the opposite approach, keep reporting (4 only today for example) and eventually the mods will see that investigating and dealing with these neo-Nazis, every single time they make a new alt is a waste of their time and be forced to actually take drastic action.

Totally within TSR's rules :dontknow:

Tbh it's better that you report as much as possible, because we dont get as much of a **** storm otherwise
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by de_monies
A whole hour ago! Oh no, they havent got to this one froma whole hour ago, when they're dealing with a good 20-30 from four/five hours ago....

Most people havent even finished work yet! I know I used to finish at five... THen consider how long it takes for them to get hoe, if they do any other activities etc...

This is my exact point though. If the mods have trouble keeping up with all the rule breaking, when you consider how much the racist (and tbh sexist posters) create alts as soon as they get banned and start posting again, there probably needs to be a change in how TSR deals with such people

Tbh it's better that you report as much as possible, because we dont get as much of a **** storm otherwise

This is reassuring I must say.
This is my exact point though. If the mods have trouble keeping up with all the rule breaking, when you consider how much the racist (and tbh sexist posters) create alts as soon as they get banned and start posting again, there probably needs to be a change in how TSR deals with such people

You tend to get a quicker response "after work" hours ie: I've reported stuff. Some stuff takes a few hours, some stuff can take a little longer, because it's an awkward one. At night time, some stuff can take 2 minutes

What's your suggestions on a change in how TSR deals with such people?

I would say that it's a bit too easy to create another account (no need to click on a link from any email by the looks of things) although I realise this is probably a discussion for another thread, so I'll leave it at that.
You tend to get a quicker response "after work" hours ie: I've reported stuff. Some stuff takes a few hours, some stuff can take a little longer, because it's an awkward one

Anything which minimizes the legwork mods have to carry out

So in terms of suggestions:

Far more frequent use of IP bans in the case of racist/sexist posters - using proxies is slow and you often lose some functionality, so it would massively disrupt their activity

A function for the mods which allow them to bin threads on mass - these racist posters usually make several threads in very quick succession and as soon as they are banned (if they have a name like "Jewsdid9/11") just bin it all without even bothering to check

Original post by Autistic Merit
I would say that it's a bit too easy to create another account (no need to click on a link from any email by the looks of things) although I realise this is probably a discussion for another thread, so I'll leave it at that.

This is something I was thinking about in fact, maybe you should have to wait 24 hours before receiving the account activation email, so getting your account banned really does mean something.

In addition to this, restrict having multiple accounts attached to one email address; on facebook for example you can't sign up for an alt using the same email
(edited 9 years ago)
Anything which minimizes the legwork mods have to carry out

So in terms of suggestions:

Far more frequent use of IP bans in the case of racist/sexist posters - using proxies is slow and you often lose some functionality, so it would massively disrupt their activity

A function for the mods which allow them to bin threads on mass - these racist posters usually make several threads in very quick succession and as soon as they are banned (if they have a name like "Jewsdid9/11") just bin it all without even bothering to check

This is something I was thinking about in fact, maybe you should have to wait 24 hours before receiving the account activation email, so getting your account banned really does mean something.

For "known" users, they are banned pretty quickly. For others, we have to get them IP checked which takes time

We can actually bin entire threads "en masse" but in our own sections only ie:

Say

Troll A makes

troll thread in chat
troll thread in society
troll thread in international lounge

I could "en masse" remove the troll threads in chat/international lounge, because taht's the area that I moderate. Also, again with the IP checking, that relies on resources ie: human resources

What I did like as a suggestion was to auto block certain email domains - Im not sure if it's been sorted now, but apparenlty before you could register without even having to insert a valid email address - there's nothing to confirm your account
You tend to get a quicker response "after work" hours ie: I've reported stuff. Some stuff takes a few hours, some stuff can take a little longer, because it's an awkward one. At night time, some stuff can take 2 minutes

I find that most reports are done pretty quickly, though as you said, I have noticed that responses after work hours are quicker.

And btw, thank you so much for binning that thread I alerted to you earlier. That was very quick of you :hugs:

Binned in a matter of minutes :happy2:
Original post by spotify95
I find that most reports are done pretty quickly, though as you said, I have noticed that responses after work hours are quicker.

And btw, thank you so much for binning that thread I alerted to you earlier. That was very quick of you :hugs:

Binned in a matter of minutes :happy2:

No worries! Again, stuff is a lot quicker when we have spare time available, and when we dont have 40 odd reports :biggrin:
Original post by LaughingBro
Some mods here seems to think racism against East Asians (esp ethnic Chinese) as more acceptable than racism to Africans.

Agreed
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Tbh racism doesn't really exist in the 21st Century anymore

lol
It's veiled as "freedom of speech" and if you can't accept someone's bigoted views then that makes you the small-minded one.
There was an entire thread (think it's still on here) in the history section about how the Jews were responsible for everything (and like 10 ppl agreed), I even posted a sarcastic anti-Semitic comment just for the fun of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending