The Student Room Group

Am I crazy?

The situation is that I've applied for English Literature at: Cambridge, Durham, Newcastle, UCL and Edinburgh. I've received offers from all of them at A*AA, A*AA, AAA, AAA and ABB retrospectively. Going by how my exams went, I think I've definitely achieved A*AA (not being cocky ) but I firmed Newcastle and put Edinburgh as my insurance. I've turned down Cambridge for Newcastle because I LOVED the uni and the atmosphere of the place at the open day. Am I crazy? I am starting to have inclinations towards wishing I had firmed UCL though, just a slight annoyance...
I live in Newcastle and have lots of friends who go to Uni here too, and they all love it! It's an amazing city and the university is looked very favourably upon by employers. Some might be surprised that you turned down Cambridge, but at the end of the day it is you who will be spending 3/4 years of your life here so the decision must ultimately be yours. You sound really positive about Newcastle, with good reason! I think you've made a good decision, but if you get your results and suddenly have a change of heart you could always go through clearing/adjustment.
not at all, you did what i was too scared to do.
Reply 3
Original post by Emilygal
The situation is that I've applied for English Literature at: Cambridge, Durham, Newcastle, UCL and Edinburgh. I've received offers from all of them at A*AA, A*AA, AAA, AAA and ABB retrospectively. Going by how my exams went, I think I've definitely achieved A*AA (not being cocky ) but I firmed Newcastle and put Edinburgh as my insurance. I've turned down Cambridge for Newcastle because I LOVED the uni and the atmosphere of the place at the open day. Am I crazy? I am starting to have inclinations towards wishing I had firmed UCL though, just a slight annoyance...

I think this sort of feeling is natural when you have the summer off and too much time to think :P

You wouldn't be mad to reject Cambridge for Newcastle if you liked the university and the course better. You've firmed your choices now - the best thing to do would be to try and put it out of mind for now! Best of luck for results.
Reply 4

I'm sure you have made what was for you a rational decision. Its just not one that many others have made. You have chosen to prioritise a party atmosphere university where the students will have achieved less at A2 and where your chances of a first will be correspondingly higher. You have turned down four universities which are more prestigious, look more impressive on a CV and so have better career prospects. You have turned down the opportunity to have some of the best teaching at any university in the country but where you will have to work very intensively for a university where you will have around 10 hours a week of lectures, workshops and film watching a week.

You may regret it later but unless you get A*A*A and decide to take a Gap Year you now have to make the best of it.
Original post by Colmans
I'm sure you have made what was for you a rational decision. Its just not one that many others have made. You have chosen to prioritise a party atmosphere university where the students will have achieved less at A2 and where your chances of a first will be correspondingly higher. You have turned down four universities which are more prestigious, look more impressive on a CV and so have better career prospects. You have turned down the opportunity to have some of the best teaching at any university in the country but where you will have to work very intensively for a university where you will have around 10 hours a week of lectures, workshops and film watching a week.

Well *that* was sanctimonious.

OP, there's no point worrying about it now. In any case, Cambridge doesn't suit everyone. The intense terms put some people under more pressure than is good for them, and it might well be true that you'll come out with a better degree than you might have done had you firmed a more 'prestigious' university.
Reply 6
Original post by Colmans

You may regret it later but unless you get A*A*A and decide to take a Gap Year you now have to make the best of it.

Going to Newcastle isn't a "party atmosphere" - it's a top university which, albeit having a good social seance, has an academic atmosphere. It isn't exactly much of a difference in achievement at A2. I wouldn't say Edinburgh is a lot more prestigious, it's roughly comparable; especially for what I want to do. Newcastle, as a university, has fantastic career prospects with a particularly high graduate employment rate. What makes you think the teaching is that much different? Your ignorance is actually humorous because you think it makes you sound smart but, in reality, you just sound pathetic and sneering which is never attractive. I found the "film watching" particularly annoying. You treat Newcastle as if it isn't a top university when it very clearly is or I would have never had chosen it.
Reply 7
Going to Newcastle isn't a "party atmosphere" - it's a top university which, albeit having a good social seance, has an academic atmosphere. It isn't exactly much of a difference in achievement at A2. I wouldn't say Edinburgh is a lot more prestigious, it's roughly comparable; especially for what I want to do. Newcastle, as a university, has fantastic career prospects with a particularly high graduate employment rate. What makes you think the teaching is that much different? Your ignorance is actually humorous because you think it makes you sound smart but, in reality, you just sound pathetic and sneering which is never attractive. I found the "film watching" particularly annoying. You treat Newcastle as if it isn't a top university when it very clearly is or I would have never had chosen it.

You asked a question to which the answer "it is rational but not one most would make" is clearly unacceptable. So why bother asking since according to the above you clearly don't think it is crazy?

I'm sorry you found film watching annoying. From the Newcastle website:"You can normally expect to spend around 10 hours per week attending lectures, seminars, workshops and film screenings".
The teaching is different to Cambridge where you would have supervisions one to one or two with an academic several hours a week. It is considered by most a strength offered only by Oxford and Cambridge. I have finished at Cambridge, most of my friends who went to Newcastle would not be offended by the "party university" label. They would regard it as a plus. I doubt I am that ignorant.

I did not dispute Newcastle is a top university, but most would recognise it is not as highly regarded as Cambridge. Genuinely it is a rational choice. It is undeniably true that most people holding offers for Newcastle and Cambridge would not make the choice you have. Be confident in the choice you have made but please don't resort to sneering at those who think you may regret it. If you get A*A*A this summer just think a while before you confirm.

You have undoubtedly made an error in judgment by choosing an inferior university as Colmans so delicately pointed out. The calibre of students at Cambridge far exceeds that of their Newcastle counterparts. You chose an easy ride because you are not as ambitious as others. Good luck with your future. :teehee:
Reply 9
Original post by Asexual Demigod
You have undoubtedly made an error in judgment by choosing an inferior university as Colmans so delicately pointed out. The calibre of students at Cambridge far exceeds that of their Newcastle counterparts. You chose an easy ride because you are not as ambitious as others. Good luck with your future. :teehee:

Absolute rubbish! I didn't "chose an easy ride" and if you think Newcastle can justifiably be regarded as such then you seriously need to rethinking your understanding of universities. Nor did I chose it because I'm less ambitious. I decided on Newcastle because, shock horror, I actually preferred it to Cambridge and would rather spend 3 years of my life there. Obviously Cambridge is in a different league but there's not much between Newcastle and the other universities I got offers from. Oh and, just for the record, if I had firmed Cambridge then I'd be going because I got grades that far exceeded their offer.
Emilygal, it is your business what you choose.

However, I do not think that Colmans and those who question your choice were trolling. You obviously have some doubts, now you will have to live with the choice.

I must say, I do think your choice of Newcastle over Cam takes courage.
Absolute rubbish! I didn't "chose an easy ride" and if you think Newcastle can justifiably be regarded as such then you seriously need to rethinking your understanding of universities. Nor did I chose it because I'm less ambitious. I decided on Newcastle because, shock horror, I actually preferred it to Cambridge and would rather spend 3 years of my life there. Obviously Cambridge is in a different league but there's not much between Newcastle and the other universities I got offers from. Oh and, just for the record, if I had firmed Cambridge then I'd be going because I got grades that far exceeded their offer.

And what grades were those?

P.S. For an English student, you have appalling grammar. You can't seem to differentiate between "choose" and "chose"...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Asexual Demigod
And what grades were those?

P.S. For an English student, you have appalling grammar. You can't seem to differentiate between "choose" and "chose"...

I think you'll find there's a difference between having appalling grammar and making a typo on TSR where I don't check the grammar of my posts.

Why should I tell you my grades? If I did firm Cambridge then my grades would have surpassed the offer by a good bit, that's all you need to know about them.
Reply 13

Newcastle over Cambridge? What a retard.

I think you'll find there's a difference between having appalling grammar and making a typo on TSR where I don't check the grammar of my posts.

Why should I tell you my grades? If I did firm Cambridge then my grades would have surpassed the offer by a good bit, that's all you need to know about them.

If maintaining good grammar is effort for you then perhaps you shouldn't be doing English. Anyway, I have my doubts about you getting a conditional from Cambridge. You seem incredibly dumb.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending