The Student Room Group

Most underrated food??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by River Shadow
Only done that a couple of times myself, but it's easily done if like me you like just eating it off a spoon... :getmecoat:

Spoon? you means hands/fingers are not appropriate?

grated carrots and tuna :smile:
Low carb diet is killing me. So it has to be bread, rolls and anything breaded.
Sauerkraut
Scrambled eggs
BLT sandwiches
Carrots :teeth:
Spinach!!!!
Pepperoni pizza :wink: yum! :smile:
Broccoli and stilton soup
Peppered mackrel

Posted from TSR Mobile
Falafel, scallops, tunnocks tea cakes :biggrin:
Original post by Motorbiker
Spoon? you means hands/fingers are not appropriate?

PRSOM. :frown:

I don't like getting food on my fingers though. :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
It's hard to think of things I believe are genuinely under appreciated given their merits etc, and not just things I happen to like but here goes:

Corned beef - Despite it's ever increasing price I think people see it as peasant food these days but cooked right it is excellent.
Worcester Sauce - The condiments thread is why I've included it here.
Sprouts - (Sensing a veg. trend.) They are pretty much universally disliked but they don't deserve the hate.
Blue cheeses - Same as above.
Cod roe - I think I am the only person who gets this from my chippy. Dirty kebab meat outselling it :biggrin:.
Horse meat - I don't know why people are so disgusted by it, mechanically recovered, processed filth - yes, but not fresh, healthy horse meat?
Ox tongue - This is amazing, so soft and tender but people seem put off because it's a tongue.
Vindaloo - It isn't necessarily hot, no need to be scared of it.
Scrambled eggs - As above if you take the time to cook them properly, for price and taste it is hard to beat them (no pun intended).
British cuisine in general - Slated constantly - even by Brits - but it is among the best in the world IMVFHO. Just because the dishes don't have a thousand scotch bonnets in them or a fancy name with accents in it, does not make them bland or boring.
Homous and vegetable crisps
Reply 32
Vegetables when given as much attention as meat usually gets.
I think people find their texture weird/slimy?

I understand why these aren't rated highly by lots of people. I disagree but i understand that they're weird looking. :tongue:

What like slugs?! Prob put even more people off now!

I thought it was more the taste that people didn't like?
Original post by River Shadow
Yeah, I don't really get it either. I don't quite understand the slimy argument to be honest. So are lots of foods! Plus I don't think they're very slimy. :confused: I suppose it depends how you cook them...

:five: I don't think they're slimy either not compared to say okra/lady fingers....mushrooms are more meaty I think, maybe people get freaked out by it's meatyness :dontknow:
Original post by Yasmin25
Broccoli and stilton soupPosted from TSR Mobile

Love broccoli and stilton soup! One of my favs, in fact I had some earlier on.
Blue cheese
Mushrooms
The American "bacon and maple syrup pancakes" thing - like a lot of people from this country I thought it was disgusting until I tried it.
Puréed apple (very common in France, Germany and other European countries but whenever I talk about loving it people think it's baby food!)
Original post by nemothefish19
Love broccoli and stilton soup! One of my favs, in fact I had some earlier on.

Love broccili and stilton soup. Probably the best soup there is.

Original post by pinamojito
Blue cheese

YES! Love blue cheese.
YES! Love blue cheese.

Blue cheese is loooovely :biggrin:

I can understand why it's underated though, it's definitely an acquired taste!

Quick Reply

Latest