The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scrawlx101
Can you give me an example of the title,i'm thinking of something to do with the psychological effects of giving up smoking? To be honest its always something ive been curious about interms of withdrawl symtpoms and problems a person might face.

How can addictions change the way a person's brain works, and how can giving up affect them?

You could then discuss different addictions and see whether they work in the same way - does a gambling addiction affect you in the same way as a drug addiction?

I saw a study once which showed that giving up tobacco can be harder than heroin, so that would be interesting to look into.
yeah think i'll do that.Thank youve been helpful,atm we were told to look at titles and ideas and just think about it.Obviously when we start in september ill need to research-what type of stuff do you suggest I look for?

I think the addictions im going to do are:
Video Games
Drug Addiction
Caffeine

so i can cover adults and children.
Any interesting periods of history you guys could recommend? Finding it hard to come up with one that is well resourced
Original post by lamyers1
You could do analysis of language changes over time in literature, or differences between styles of poetry around the world or pre/post certain time periods?

Or maybe pick someone who is revered as an author in a particular field of writing and analyse why that may be the case? Stephen King is a truly phenomenal horror author.

Thanks, that was really helpful. :smile:
if anyone has done/is doing their EPQ on something about french and english literature please let me know! I want to study french and english at uni and do my the EPQ on something related to that but I am really stuck for ideas. thanks
Original post by shutuplucy
if anyone has done/is doing their EPQ on something about french and english literature please let me know! I want to study french and english at uni and do my the EPQ on something related to that but I am really stuck for ideas. thanks

I saw this A* EPQ of a person who wrote about the influence of the German Language on English, you could do something similar with French in English Literature because it was often viewed as a noble/respected language like Latin. Or you could do something to do with culture or history linking France and England like the French Revolution. Or pick someone famous to write about.

I just started my EPQ on English Literature :smile:
Original post by EllainKahlo
I saw this A* EPQ of a person who wrote about the influence of the German Language on English, you could do something similar with French in English Literature because it was often viewed as a noble/respected language like Latin. Or you could do something to do with culture or history linking France and England like the French Revolution. Or pick someone famous to write about.

I just started my EPQ on English Literature :smile:

Great, thanks so much! I had some vague ideas about that sort of thing but you seem to have articulated them way better than I had managed. Do you mind sharing your topic and what kind of research you're doing? I feel like I need something to motivate me more, I have so much summer reading to do as it is!
Great, thanks so much! I had some vague ideas about that sort of thing but you seem to have articulated them way better than I had managed. Do you mind sharing your topic and what kind of research you're doing? I feel like I need something to motivate me more, I have so much summer reading to do as it is!

I have a lot of work to do this holiday too, the majority of it being my Literature Review for my EPQ. So far today I've done two out of the necessary twenty sources I've been told to do. I don't mind! I chose to study Oscar Wilde and how his writing has influenced Victorian and Gothic Literature. Right now I'm studying what other people have said about his influences and style and then I'm going to do my own close reading of some specific texts and give my interpretations.
I have a lot of work to do this holiday too, the majority of it being my Literature Review for my EPQ. So far today I've done two out of the necessary twenty sources I've been told to do. I don't mind! I chose to study Oscar Wilde and how his writing has influenced Victorian and Gothic Literature. Right now I'm studying what other people have said about his influences and style and then I'm going to do my own close reading of some specific texts and give my interpretations.

That sounds really interesting, focusing on one writer seems like a good plan. Your EPQ sounds differently structured to the one they do at my school though, which I think is edexcel
Hi everyone. I am thinking of studying science subjects in university but I am not very sure about my topic. My current topic is 'how do animals communicate'. Is my topic too specific for general science?
That sounds really interesting, focusing on one writer seems like a good plan. Your EPQ sounds differently structured to the one they do at my school though, which I think is edexcel

Thank you :smile: I'm on edexcel too but I decided not to get caught up in the structure so much yet because it can be changed. Plus, I've seen lots of good EPQ's, all dissertations, structured very differently. Some people did there's like a science/sociology/psychology investigation (with a method and findings), others did just analysis of text and some just did a debate discussion. I want to kind of mix the latter.
Hey guys, I'm doing my EPQ on gene doping in sports. It's basically how gene therapy can be used by athletes to improve performance e.g. by increasing the number of red blood cells and hence their oxygen carrying capacity, or a different gene can increase muscle mass. I'm starting to do some research using books, articles etc. but I'm struggling to come up with an actual question. I want to study medicine so would like to vaguely relate it to that if possible. Any ideas?
Hey guys, roughly how many sources would you reccomend using in a history epq? And do these have to be mainly primary or secondary? Thanks ! =]
I'm doing quite a sciency EPQ on new treatments for leukaemia and their potential, and evaluating the potential of the various treatments
Should I focus on one type of leukaemia?
I've found what treatments I want to talk about, but I want to bring some ethics into this, such as whether the side effects are worth the treatment, and some ethical stuff with the bone marrow treatments and siblings

Any ideas how to do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any ideas on organisations I can write to for funding? I want to obtain some papers from the British Library for my literature review but there is a fee for each one... Anyone experienced something similar?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you :smile: I'm on edexcel too but I decided not to get caught up in the structure so much yet because it can be changed. Plus, I've seen lots of good EPQ's, all dissertations, structured very differently. Some people did there's like a science/sociology/psychology investigation (with a method and findings), others did just analysis of text and some just did a debate discussion. I want to kind of mix the latter.

Oh I see! You seem really organised too with the twenty sources- did you research these yourself? I think I want to do something on french literature in the interwar years but I'm still so undecided. I am also keen on Camus but I feel like that's a bit too generic a topic lol
Oh I see! You seem really organised too with the twenty sources- did you research these yourself? I think I want to do something on french literature in the interwar years but I'm still so undecided. I am also keen on Camus but I feel like that's a bit too generic a topic lol

Yes, they were set as the first homework for this unit. I really recommend researching your possible choice avenues before settling on one thing you're going to stick to. This is because I realised when I first started that one idea might look good on the surface, but if there are no sources of debate that other people have researched before you, you'll have nothing to quote. Unless, that is, if you're purely about to analyse texts. Camus sounds good to me, and so does the interwar years :smile: If you're going to focus on one person, I think you should look at something about them which can be debated so you have something in depth to discuss. Like, were they a literary genius? Are they overrated? What inspired them?
I'm doing an EPQ based on how education affects the economy, I've mentioned pedagogy, government policies, aims of the curriculum, tuition fees and a section about other factors where I discussed war/industrialization, lack of awareness about how to spend money and how people do not learn entirely from school.
I've almost finished however I need 1 more factor to discuss, which can be associated with education or something different? Also, I want to start my presentation but I don't know what to include or discuss? I'm quite confused as to what it should entail. Help please?
Reply 5278
I'm planning to do one based around Medicine and I'm already unsure what I should use as the topic! Does it have to be a question or can it be a statement?
Original post by SleepingStag
Does anyone have any ideas on organisations I can write to for funding? I want to obtain some papers from the British Library for my literature review but there is a fee for each one... Anyone experienced something similar?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't your local library get them through an inter-library loan? If not then try approaching your local uni library - often they'll let local people join and they can source texts too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending