The Student Room Group

A GCSE option you wish you'd chosen

Scroll to see replies

I should have taken French. Like literally, I could just slap myself thinking about it. I used to be good at French without even working, I was always in the top set and the reason I didn't take it? Well there are 2 actually, 1. I didn't like the language teachers at my school (stupid reason). 2. I was embarrassed to do the speaking exams cos I used to be really shy (another stupid reason).

What I would give to go back & switch it up.
Original post by StrangeBanana
What would you prefer to learn about?

world war 1. world war 2. falklands war. british empire stuff. 100 years war. how scotland and wales got taken over. Ancient history of Europe. British invading China during the opium wars. Hong Kong, India, Shanghai, Carribean, British involvement in those places.

I really couldn't care less about fashion and music in the 50s and 60s and american presidents.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChickenMadness
world war 1. world war 2. falklands war. british empire stuff. 100 years war. how scotland and wales got taken over. Ancient history of Europe. British invading China during the opium wars. Hong Kong, India, Shanghai, Carribean, British involvement in those places.

I really couldn't care less about fashion and music in the 50s and 60s and american presidents.

Can't please everyone
I wish my school had offered GCSE Dance instead of BTEC :frown: btec was amazing but I think GCSE would have been even better!
probably a f. maths related one
Physics and Spanish. I did French and loved it, but I'd been told before I took my options that I had the ability to do Spanish as well, and I wish I believed them bc Spanish is a lovely language.

Physics purely bc surprisingly, not having the full set of three sciences is a problem for many universities. :s-smilie:

On the flip side I'm forever glad I took further maths, despite being so uneasy about it beforehand. (I messed up the 2nd exam and I'm sure I've got about a C grade-wise, but I loved the subject so it was completely worth it.)
My school taught Spanish and French alternatively, so my year group studied Spanish while the year above/below us studied French, and the year above/below them studied Spanish and so on. I wished I'd been taught French instead of Spanish because the sixth form I'm going to offer A Level French but not Spanish. :frown: But I don't regret taking Spanish, it was a really fun subject (and easy too) :smile:
Reply 27
Chemistry. I don't understand any of that stuff, yet it is such an important part of the modern world!

Really wish I did it as well as Physics.
i reaaaaly wish i chose history instead of art! agh i hate art!!!! and i was amazing at history, top grades in the class. i had a gcse art teacher who made me lose my passion for art.
Media was the only one I would have wanted to do that my school offered. Law sounds quite interesting, as does Astronomy, but my school didn't offer either of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
History,
I just feel I lack general knowledge in area which I feel I would have learnt in history as well as the writing skills

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope I don't say, "I wish I took history" in 2 years time :/
I wish i took geography, ad business studies.
My biggest regret was health and social care at gcse. It was a bag of ****. I am not even joking. It was a subject that I had no passion or intent to learn about, because it was that boring. My highlight of that lesson would be debating with the teacher about some of the theories he put out.
I took French, History, Triple science and health and social care.
Loved history.
Hated health and social care.
My options were Geography, DT Graphic Products, Art and Triple Science. Odd combination, I know. :tongue:

I wish I had done something else instead of Geography and Art. I hated them so much. Art was just dreadful since it was so much work and I was in no way artistically skilled, and I didn't mind Geography but it was so boring. As for Triple Science, everyone did Double Science but I chose to be entered for Triple so I guess you don't really count it as an option - and I regret it because you don't really need Triple at GCSE and I had to teach myself all the Triple Science units which was tough.

Since GCSE options aren't that important I wish I had chosen more fun subjects rather than just what looks good. I don't regret DT because that was so much fun, but I wish I had done Spanish since I really wanted to do that, it was a lot of fun at KS3 and maybe something else fun like Media Studies.

Original post by chocolatesauce
I don't think sociology is anymore, my school doesn't offer it. I would have done photography too...

Photography, Sociology and Psychology are all still GCSEs. :smile: Not that it matters anymore, but just saying. :tongue:

Original post by iscribbletoomuch
DT sounds fun

I did DT and loved every second of it, probably was one of my favourite GCSE subjects.
Original post by karmacrunch
I hope I don't say, "I wish I took history" in 2 years time :/

What did you do instead of History?

If you chose Geog over History like I did, trust me when I say it's a huge mistake. :frown:
Wish I took a language (Spanish)
Reply 37
I have SO many regrets :redface: Wish I never took ICT, Art, Economics or French. I should have taken business studies, geography and history. I also shouldn't have dropped physics after Year 9 - worst decision ever!
I wish I did media studies instead of music and took after-school Latin in year 9.
I wish that I took Psychology or Graphic Design instead of French. Because I'm flopping and one of the only reason why I took was the English Baccalaureate (is this the correct spelling?) was abolished, I guess for lack of better word.

Quick Reply

Latest