The Student Room Group

Is it stupid not to see the university before you move there for study?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Well I've not but that's just because they're really far away and it'd be difficult fitting in the time to go. But I'm happy with the course etc so even if the area ain't that great I won't mind. It can't be worse than where I am now so yeah :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Chlomc
Well I've not but that's just because they're really far away and it'd be difficult fitting in the time to go. But I'm happy with the course etc so even if the area ain't that great I won't mind. It can't be worse than where I am now so yeah :smile:

I agree with Chlomc because the uni is very far away from my place and I need to take 10+ hours flight. However, if you can't see the uni before you move there to study, at least you must do some research online (eg. comparing course modules) . There is a difference between reality and imagination. As long as you have the passion to study, it will work out just fine :smile:
Reply 22
It's not stupid. I only saw my uni once - when I went for the interview. I wasn't interested at all in getting to know the city or the campus.
Reply 23
It's definitely a better idea to have a look and get a feel for the place. Having said that, what a uni is like on an Open day is utter bull**** compared to what it's actually like.
I don't think it matters.
Original post by Like_A_G6
Maybe try nationalexpress?

Applying to a university without visiting it is a big risk, especially if you're going there for an experience as well as the degree. For me, having the correct 'vibe' was important in choosing my university. I also wanted to see whether or not the place is worth paying £x to study at. I think it's foolish not to go and visit the place. If something cost ~£50000 (assuming three years tuition plus living costs), would you buy it without seeing it or trialling it?.

You can tell a lot by doing online research, you don't really have to go there to tell these things.

I've spoken to people who study at the uni, people who have done the course before, people who are starting in September and I know what the city is like after doing plenty of online research, I already know my way around and I haven't even been there yet.

Do the research and you'll know. If you hate it, you've wasted a year, but you still have time to switch universities. Worst case scenario.
(edited 9 years ago)
Depends how much you care about the course. It was important for me to go and make sure all the lecturers were cool people and that they had proper facilities because of the nature of my course.

If I was doing a different course I wouldn't have cared as much.
It doesn't matter greatly. You're only here for 1 year and you will likely spend a lot of time studying. I would go with the university with gives you the best prospects afterwards. Base this decision on the course content, industry links and previous graduate jobs.

However, since you are an international student then I understand the entire experience may be what you are looking for. However, most top unis are all going to be fun and you should have a good time if you are social an outgoing. You can always travel on the weekends and visit come of the other cities with friends.
Reply 28
Original post by mynameisntdoug

Do the research and you'll know. If you hate it, you've wasted a year, but you still have time to switch universities. Worst case scenario.

A Masters is only one year and it's near impossible to swap unis during the course.
Original post by Klix88
A Masters is only one year and it's near impossible to swap unis during the course.

My bad, I thought this was in an undergrad section. But regardless, you are still very limited if you go there for a rehearsed open day, you're going to end up seeing what they want you to see - what you could have already seen online.
Do a lot of youtubing haha!
I don't think it is - I think it's advisable for undergrad (esp if first time away from home etc) but not so much after that. For me, I made my masters applications based on the department/faculty's strength in my particular field of interest, whether it had particular academic staff whose work I was interested in, the taught course offerings available, and availability of funding. I didn't see any of my picks before applying (and the first time I see my chosen uni will be when I enrol). And I lived in the same city, so could easily have visited it - I just don't see it as an important factor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Should be open to surprises, that's what uni is about :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This really depends on what matters to you as a person and what is available to you. If you don't have an option to visit, then it definitely isn't stupid. If you care more about specific researchers, school reputation etc., then you don't need to visit the uni for that. If you care about the aesthetic or feel of a place, then it is worth going.

As most people have said, though, you are going to be busy and you aren't there for long, so it really won't matter too much. I would argue it would be more stupid to visit the place, even on an open day, and just get a "feel" for the place without doing the proper research than not visiting but doing the proper research.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending