The Student Room Group

Isis orders all women and girls in Mosul to undergo FGM, says UN

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
True, but even in non-Muslim countries, Muslims usually make up the majority of victims, proportionally.
Also bear in mind that Islam is the only major religion where recognised authority supports it.
In Indonesia, about 80% of girls are cut. FGM was unknown in Indonesia before the arrival of Islam. Clearly a religious practice.

Yes but there are many practices within religion which most would consider deplorable but are put forward by these so called 'leaders' in order to advance their own beliefs or desires. I dont claim to know the relationship between FGM and religion but from my point of view a lot of things are done in the name of religion whilst ignoring the central tenets of the religion itself (such as love, compassion, equality etc)

I find myself having this debate Re christianity too so I'm not muslim bashing by any means
Reply 21
Original post by Radicalathiest
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/24/isis-women-girls-fgm-mosul-un

but I'm sure we'll get a queue of people tell us this is nothing to do with Islam:rolleyes:

I'm just wondering where the actual "fatwa" is because there is no link to any kind of "fatwa" in any one of the news link.

Could you provide evidence of this "fatwa" please?
Religion is one hell of a scary thing sometimes.
ISIS are killing more Muslims than even Israel. Are Muslim sheep ISIS must be controlled by the West surely? Some are saying Saudi Arabia are behind ISIS but you know who they're allies with.
Reply 24
These lot are just getting comically evil now and sooner or later we're going to be drawn into a confrontation with them.

The sooner these backwards idiots are obliterated the better. At least It would limit the damage they're doing before they gain any real momentum.
Original post by McZero
These lot are just getting comically evil now and sooner or later we're going to be drawn into a confrontation with them.

The sooner these backwards idiots are obliterated the better. At least It would limit the damage they're doing before they gain any real momentum.

You mean comical like this
http://jezebel.com/isis-extremists-order-mannequin-faces-covered-in-mosul-1609500003

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by ChrisPBacon
ISIS are killing more Muslims than even Israel. Are Muslim sheep ISIS must be controlled by the West surely? Some are saying Saudi Arabia are behind ISIS but you know who they're allies with.

yes a lot of evidence points in the direction ISIS leader was trained by mossad
Original post by MASTER265
Gaza was always a hell hole. Israel is the only forward, developed, democratic, civilised, advanced, educated, sane and just general normal US-backed nation in the Middle East.

All that is due to the money and power that comes from being the vassal in the oil-producing regions of the world's biggest superpower.

Follow the money. Any culture can be artificially "civilised"/westernised with the investment. You can't possibly be saying something in the Israeli character or culture is inherently superior to their Muslim neighbours.

And being "civilised" doesn't excuse their actions in Gaza either. Hitler taught the world 70 years ago that democratically elected bureaucracies are perfectly capable of aggressive expansionism and ethnic persecution.
Shouldn't have overthrown Saddam and empowered brutal militias now should ya?
You chaps ought to read 1984 and Brave New World. It's frightening how brainwashed most of you are.
Original post by MASTER265
Gaza was always a hell hole. Israel is the only forward, developed, democratic, civilised, advanced, educated, sane and just general normal nation in the Middle East.

I agree. Apartheid and basing your society on an ethnoreligious hierarchy is extremely civilised.
Original post by scrotgrot
All that is due to the money and power that comes from being the vassal in the oil-producing regions of the world's biggest superpower.

Follow the money. Any culture can be artificially "civilised"/westernised with the investment. You can't possibly be saying something in the Israeli character or culture is inherently superior to their Muslim neighbours.

And being "civilised" doesn't excuse their actions in Gaza either. Hitler taught the world 70 years ago that democratically elected bureaucracies are perfectly capable of aggressive expansionism and ethnic persecution.

How about the "civilised" Hamas stopped throwing rockets at Israeli schools (they've fired over 2,000 since the conflict restarted), or building Weapon Caches under peoples homes (IDF has found 60 under Civilian Properties so far).

Everything bad that happens in Gaza is 100% Hamas's fault, and if a Palestinian is stupid enough to let Hamas put rockets under their house to fire at the people who give them food, water and electricity, and then they are stupid enough not to evacuate when the IDF drop leaflets and even phone them to tell them they are about to bomb the area, then there shouldn't be any sympathy for them.

The Nazis were democractic? They were properly elected? They were a majority? Somebody clearly hasn't studied any ****ing history.

You might want to look in to the First and Second Kingdoms of Israel too, as you clearly know nothing of which you are preaching about.
Reply 32
Aljazeera reported that these claims has been rejected by activists linked to the group. I have also seen a tweet by a journalist saying that locals she has interviewed have said that this news is false
Original post by Daniel9510
How about the "civilised" Hamas stopped throwing rockets at Israeli schools (they've fired over 2,000 since the conflict restarted), or building Weapon Caches under peoples homes (IDF has found 60 under Civilian Properties so far).

Everything bad that happens in Gaza is 100% Hamas's fault, and if a Palestinian is stupid enough to let Hamas put rockets under their house to fire at the people who give them food, water and electricity, and then they are stupid enough not to evacuate when the IDF drop leaflets and even phone them to tell them they are about to bomb the area, then there shouldn't be any sympathy for them.

The Nazis were democractic? They were properly elected? They were a majority? Somebody clearly hasn't studied any ****ing history.

You might want to look in to the First and Second Kingdoms of Israel too, as you clearly know nothing of which you are preaching about.

Hamas are not civilised. Hamas exists due to Israeli oppression. If you and your ethnic group had been corralled into a tiny enclave, built walls around and had your economy blockaded you might elect militants to government too.

Give them food, water and electricity indeed. It's easy to cast yourself as the big provider when you are bullying a tiny enclave which has to use your infrastructure to get access to the outside world.

The Nazis were democratically elected, yes. They established a dictatorship in the end but basically went through all the proper channels to do so. Still, I am hardly attempting to suggest that Israel is like Nazi Germany, but too many people act like democracy automatically prevents war crimes and state oppression from happening.
Not that I support ISIS, but just in case anyone's interested: ISIS has already denied these FGM allegations. They were pretty weird to start with, as FGM is not condoned by Islam at all.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/24/isis-deny-ordering-fgm-girls-mosul?CMP=twt_fd
Does sound a bit far fetched. For one thing can you imagine what that would do for local morale.

"Please drop your wife and daughters off at the town hall so we can chop their genitals off"
Reply 36
Original post by tsr1269
I'm just wondering where the actual "fatwa" is because there is no link to any kind of "fatwa" in any one of the news link.

Could you provide evidence of this "fatwa" please?
Can you prove that there isn't one?
Reply 37
Original post by QE2
Can you prove that there isn't one?

You're a new member so I'll excuse you and remind you of the "rule":

Whoever makes an assertion must prove it.
Reply 38
Original post by Straw-man666
It's true though. Where does it say in the qur'an/hadith/wherever that females should be mutilated? Go learn about islam before you comment about it.

The muslims condemn isis
Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know where it says that in whatever book, but it can't be a coincidence that many of the countries that the FGM practice is concentrated in are Muslim.

_76432219_female_mutilation_20142207_464.gif

And from the WHO's description of FGM -

Often motivated by beliefs about what is considered proper sexual behaviour, to prepare a girl or woman for adulthood and marriage and to ensure "pure femininity"

That sounds quite like Islamic beliefs does it not?
It has got nothing to do with Islam!! The prophet Muhammed (pbuh) didn't order his daughters to do this and there is nothing in the Quran stating that it is obligatory etc- of course not, why would there be?! Multiple religious leaders have said time and time again that people mustn't believe FGM has anything to do with Islam. If it was, then all Islamic countries would practise it- they do not. Case closed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending