The Student Room Group

Opinion on youth unemployment?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SmallTownGirl
So you came with a skill and experience? That's totally different to finding your first job. Don't say it's easy to find a first job if you have no knowledge of looking. I've not given up. But no-one will employ me.

Some youths of our generation iare lazy. Its that simple. Lazy, selfish and not willing to do anything that doesn't give them immediate rewards.
Reply 21
Original post by Gherk
I've been applying for part-time jobs online for about 1 and a half months now. I just wanted something to do over the summer and attain some work experience, but it seems like that's not going to happen. I dread to think of what's going to happen once I graduate; nobody will want to hire me because I've never been employed before.

Your looking in the wrong place everyone in my family found a job in max 1 week.
Original post by Varius
Some youths of our generation iare lazy. Its that simple. Lazy, selfish and not willing to do anything that doesn't give them immediate rewards.

So you know me better than I know myself? I'm not lazy and neither are my friends but none of us can get jobs. I think you've been brainwashed into being racist. Just because you have a job doesn't mean that everyone else can get one.
Reply 23
So you know me better than I know myself? I'm not lazy and neither are my friends but none of us can get jobs. I think you've been brainwashed into being racist. Just because you have a job doesn't mean that everyone else can get one.

I'm not racist, just because I said that you were lazy does not make me a racist.

It's not only me and my family all my Sri lankan friends find a job really quickly ,it's really easy in the UK.
Reply 24
Original post by Varius
Your looking in the wrong place everyone in my family found a job in max 1 week.

You're telling me a big city like Nottingham is the wrong place? Please, just because you were lucky enough to be an anecdote doesn't give you the right to be so haughty. What kinds of jobs did you and your family manage to find?
Original post by Gherk
You're telling me a big city like Nottingham is the wrong place? Please, just because you were lucky enough to be an anecdote doesn't give you the right to be so haughty.

This. I'm looking in Brighton and there are at least 300 people applying for every job. When you have no experience there's no chance.
Original post by Varius
I'm not racist, just because I said that you were lazy does not make me a racist.

It's not only me and my family all my Sri lankan friends find a job really quickly ,it's really easy in the UK.

You implied that young British people are lazy - that's racist and ageist.
Reply 27
This. I'm looking in Brighton and there are at least 300 people applying for every job. When you have no experience there's no chance.

This is ridiculous its not hard to find jobs. Im 18 since leaving school I have had 5 different jobs and been to university The key is to stop applying online to over subscribed positions and get down to offices where you would like to apply, make appointments with managers, offer to do unpaid work, make contacts and impress people. It is not what you know but who you know. If you want something you can get it.
Reply 28
You implied that young British people are lazy - that's racist and ageist.

I didn't said that...

What most people fail to understand is that if you want something in life you just have to go get it. No one is going to give that to you. But it seems like the masses are trapped in a viscous cycle of thinking that the government should look after them. The reason why you are poor and in debt is because you listen to what the masses and the government. The reason why most of the rich are rich is because they had wealthy parents give them advice, or they took initiative to gain knowledge to be financially successful. Moral of the story, don't blame the government, or the system. What you are now is OUR responsibility not external influences. I think more people should think for a minute and stop blaming other people for their mistakes and failures and start finding out why you are in this mess, and take action.
Original post by Varius
This is ridiculous its not hard to find jobs. Im 18 since leaving school I have had 5 different jobs and been to university The key is to stop applying online to over subscribed positions and get down to offices where you would like to apply, make appointments with managers, offer to do unpaid work, make contacts and impress people. It is not what you know but who you know. If you want something you can get it.

Don't you see that once you've had that first job it's a million times easier to get another job. You need to know the right person to get you your first job then your sorted for life. If you don't know anyone to give you a job then there's no chance.
Reply 30
Don't you see that once you've had that first job it's a million times easier to get another job. You need to know the right person to get you your first job then your sorted for life. If you don't know anyone to give you a job then there's no chance.

My dad can't speak English properly,he has no contacts,no money and he is disable and still he did find a job instead of claiming benefits like you lot do...

You should be ashamed of yourself,your fit and healthy and your claiming benefits instead of working...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Varius
My dad can't speak English properly,he has no contacts,no money and he is disable and still he did find a job instead of claiming benefits like you lot do...

You should be ashamed of yourself,your fit and healthy and your claiming benefits instead of working...

So many assumptions. I'm not fit and healthy and I'm definitely not on benefits.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 32
So many assumptions. I'm not fit and healthy and I'm definitely not on benefits.

No wonder your jobless ...

I find it amusing how unemployed Brits here are complaining about their problems, with all due respect. In my country, they'll be labelled wimps or wussies, sorry to say. Maybe that's why the economy is shifting to my part of the world. People from East and South East Asian countries work more and get paid less. And so more companies move here. We don't enjoy as much freedom of expression as you guys but maybe that's a good thing sometimes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Varius
No wonder your jobless ...

I find it amusing how unemployed Brits here are complaining about their problems, with all due respect. In my country, they'll be labelled wimps or wussies, sorry to say. Maybe that's why the economy is shifting to my part of the world. People from East and South East Asian countries work more and get paid less. And so more companies move here. We don't enjoy as much freedom of expression as you guys but maybe that's a good thing sometimes.

You know nothing about me and yet you're so bigotted.
(edited 9 years ago)
The sad thing is that the majority of people in the UK will believe the figures that have been coming out. Youth unemployment and unemployment in general has dropped recently and the conservatives are coming out and claiming that it's evidence that they're doing things right. The truth is that the UK have followed what Germany do (a country with very low unemployment rates) and pushed people back into education (including making education compulsory until 18 next year) and onto schemes that train people further. All of those people are no longer classed as unemployed because they're in education and not actively seeking work, so the figures drop.

The government aren't helping to provide enough jobs and they're not helping the situation by allowing an open-door policy, meaning that the jobs that are available are open to a wide array of qualified/unqualified workers. All of these back to work schemes are making things worse in my opinion. It's making the job market far more congested and fills it full of people with qualifications which makes getting a job that bit harder because everyone is skilled and companies are spoilt for choice.

The only way to fix this is to restrict immigration; give British graduates first crack at skilled jobs. But as we know, restricting immigration is a controversial topic and the only party that seems keen on doing anything about it is UKIP. Whether they can run a country or not is an entirely different question.
Reply 35
It really irritates me how people don't work hard at all during school and then wonder why they've done bad in life and promptly blame the government and criticise immigrants.

Work hard, get a good education, which rational people can refuse you a job?
Reply 36
Original post by Jubz1
It really irritates me how people don't work hard at all during school and then wonder why they've done bad in life and promptly blame the government and criticise immigrants.

Exactly it pisses me off :mad:
Reply 37
Immigrants are not to blame but there are those, known as 'gastrobitors' (sorry if that's written wrong, its a German term) who employers value more because they are willing to do more work for less pay whereas natives probably won't settle for that (which is correct in my opinion).
These people are not doing us any good.
On the other hand, certainly not all immigrants are like that.
Reply 38
Original post by Jubz1

The thing is, there are a huge majority of people who do just that and more but still nothing.
Not every unemployed person is a chav who failed his GCSEs.
The market is currently over saturated with people applying to low skilled labour jobs. The issue is because of geographical & occupational immobility people can't find jobs, or are unwilling to do jobs that they don't want too. Minimum wage also adds to this issue but youth unemployment is still an issue because people who don't have the qualifications can't find a job, but it's wrong to just put them at fault (some people do try hard at school and unfortunately don't do that well). The government does still need to try something though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending